3d Model Specs and Limitations for Enemy Territory

(Shaman) #1

Ok guys, I’ve search and searched the forums and I know I’ve seen it somewhere but can’t find it.

I need to know per file type the specs they are limited to. Polygons, and such. Not a 3d modeler myself so I am relaying these specs on. Majority of the modeling will be done in 3dsmax so even a tutorial (non-beginner) for creation and exporting to md3 or ase.

Thanks ahead of time guys.

(If there are differences for exporting from other 3d modeling programs you can include those as well to help out others that are searching for the same thing)

(Oxygen - o2) #2

i dont think their are polygon limits, its just if its too high the game is unplayable

(FireFly) #3

As far as I know there aren’t any polygon limits for a model, like Oxygen said… However a model can only contain 1024 or less vertexes. If you exceed that amount you will get an error message and the map won’t load. You can avoid this by splitting up the model into several pieces… like SD did with both the churchhill and the jagdpanther models.

(Oxygen - o2) #4

i think the turrets were seprate so they could move, and all together i dont see more than 1024 verticies on the churchhill or the jagdpanther

BTW nice avatar firefly

(FireFly) #5

I used the jagdpanther model as a reference, for my own tank model (a lorraine 37L) that I used in my v1rocket map…that’s why I remembered that the total vertexes of the model was well above the 1024 limit…

In the pic below i’ve loaded the ‘jagdpanther_africa_body.md3’ into 3dmax5, showing all verticles of the model.

body = 394 verts , additions = 779 verts .

If this would be one single object the total verts would be 394+779= 1173 verticles (or vertexes, I never know the correct term :smiley: ) and it would exceed the 1024 limit…

However, I have to admit that they (SD) properly chopped the model up into several objects for texture/shader reasons instead of model limitations… and you’re right about the churchhill model; it does not exceed the 1024 verticles limit…

For me to use the jagdpanther and churchhill models as an example was a bad choice anyway. A better example would have been the blitzbodyl3.md3

BTW nice avatar firefly

thanks, although Landis R. Fields should get all the credit, he’s one of my favorite 3d artist out there… (www.landisfields.com)

(No1_sonuk) #6

There is a common misconception that the limit is 1000 per model file.

The true limit is 1000 per model GROUP within the file. This is why the file you mention appears to “cheat” the limit.

e.g. I have a model with 2500 polygons (in 1 MD3 file) that works fine because there are several groups within it that are all below 1000.

BTW, you were close. The plural of “vertex” is “vertices”