Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Engine Quirks, Bugs and Other Useful Features

1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #1
    Chief Technology Officer RR2DO2's Avatar
    Most Recent Awards:

Engine Quirks, Bugs and Other Useful Features

These are oddities and bugs you might run into when working on ET mods.

Quirks
    - If PERS_HWEAPON_USE is set (ps.persistant[12]), usercmd_t.forwardmove, rightmove and upmove will be set to 0 when usercommmands are generated.
    - When usercmd_t.buttons & BUTTON_ACTIVATE and the client is strafing at the same time, usercmd_t.wbuttons will either be OR-ed with WBUTTON_LEANRIGHT or WBUTTON_LEANLEFT depending on the strafe direction.

Bugs
    - When trying to render a model in the UI using trap_R_AddRefEntityToScene and then trap_R_RenderScene, the engine will crash when there isn't a map loaded.

Useful Features
    - gameinfo.dat (open it in a text editor) allows you to disable profiles and determine which gametypes are Single Player or Coop.
    Last edited by Smooth; 11th Aug 2008 at 14:30.

Bugs
    The engine does not truncate oversize servercommands. trap_SendServerCommand() to a client of over 1022 bytes will crash the client.

Useful Features
    Callbacks let you do some very cool things. I can document this if nobody else wants to.
    Last edited by Smooth; 11th Aug 2008 at 14:30.

nice post rr2.....wonder how u found those hehe

/me mumbles at the ui model rendering, and wonders why he spent 3 days trying to fix something he 'was doing wrong'

BUG : exiting limbo menu stops all sounds (not caused by "stop_streamingsound" , that´s for radio..)

Quote Originally Posted by Bani
    Callbacks let you do some very cool things. I can document this if nobody else wants to.
    Please do.

level.time gets reset when a map goes into overtime

When a dual objective map goes into overtime (when the timelimit is hit but an objective prevents the map from ending), the game engine re-initializes the paramter it sends to the GAME_RUN_FRAME server cmd.

This causes some havoc since it becomes impossible to tell if you are indeed in overtime
    since according to level.time, you just started the map. Specifically, landmines cannot be defused and if it's a limited lives server, new clients get lots of lives.

Here is a workaround:

http://linespeed.net/projects/etpub/changeset/29

It won't apply cleanly to stock et, but it's pretty short so you should be able to apply it manually.

PERS_HWEAPON_USE and trap_R_AddRefEntityToScene/trap_R_RenderScene are fixed in 2.60

trap_R_DrawRotatedPic can't stretch/skew the image according to it's width/height parameters but can only resize using the mean of the two values.
    So you can't make a oval compass..

Quote Originally Posted by KillerWhale
    trap_R_DrawRotatedPic can't stretch/skew the image according to it's width/height parameters but can only resize using the mean of the two values.
    So you can't make a oval compass..
    you might be able to pull this off with creative use of rendertotexture.

Re: Engine Quirks, Bugs and Other Useful Features

i got question:my pc is good for ET perfectly..125 fps for sure..but it shows ONLY 20:O..why?whats wrong?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

are you sure you have directx installed?

Occasionally AFK
    Most Recent Awards:

Please ask your question in a new thread, this is not the right thread to do so.
    "Respect is everything" - GTA2
    "Notheeeeeng is final." - Bongoboy

Found a typo in the engine RTCW and W:ET engine source at \win32\qgl.c (in function 'QGL_Init') :

Code:
    if ( dllname[0] != '!' && strstr( "dllname", ".dll" ) == NULL ) {
    should be

Code:
    if ( dllname[0] != '!' && strstr( dllname, ".dll" ) == NULL ) {

Occasionally AFK
    Most Recent Awards:

Ok, there's a schroedinbug in there, but what did it have for effect?
    "Respect is everything" - GTA2
    "Notheeeeeng is final." - Bongoboy

I haven't read it all, but I think you can use opengl masks to pose as opengl32. So when you fill in this cvar you specify a dllname(including .dll), while the original function call only uses 'opengl' as dllname.

BUG: GTK Radiant 1.5 creates a new "etmain" folder inside ET's original "etmain" folder, along with "Maps" and "scripts" folders inside it. This makes it impossible to load textures, because it thinks they all lie in the false etmain. Even deleting it doesn't work. It comes back.

I have reinstalled both ET and GTK many times, I do not know why this happens.

probably pointed to wrong location
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaSparkle View Post
    and every time Nail comes in and ruins it

You made your path 1 stage to deep? try to delete the last part
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    Resolution: 1280 x 720 (windowed) (Screen: 1920 x 1080)
    Driver Date: GeForce 306.97 Driver | October 10, 2012
    Sound: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Nah, I changed the path to multiple different places, I don't know what was up with it.
    I was able to fix it by copying all my files into it's "Special" etmain. Now I have to 1.6 gigabyte folders with the exact same stuff in them. Go figure.