Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Getting a Mod Running.

Alrighty.

I have all my files as above in the "mymod" directory

I start a pure server
    Try to connect a client (the computer next to me on my LAN,) and it gets

"Couldn't load an official pak file; verify updated...."

Is there some way to make the server say "yo! use this file!" from my machine?

Thanks!

Is the .pk3 download system disabled on the server and/or client?

Are both machines running the same version of the ET executable (.exe)?

Are the pk3 files present?

How do you start the client? Which command line?

Most Recent Awards:

The "couldn't load an official pak file..." message means that a file named pak#.pk3 was referenced on the server, but couldn't be found on the client. Since some rather...misguided server admins have named their campaign pk3s things like pak95273.pk3, this can be a major pain in the ass (especially since ET isn't good enough to tell you which pk3 was the issue.)

All files on client and server are the same, same version of ET (even installed from same files,) et al.
    Starting server from fs_game xxxmod; tried client both normally, and with the fs_game command.
    Also put files on client manually, and it still fails pure check.
    What makes a PK3 official? What tells the client in a pure situation "hey, I'm using the files from xxxmod.pk3, download that!"? In unpure, it downloads and works just fine.

Most Recent Awards:

"Official" = named pak####.pk3 or mp_bin.pk3 and referenced by server.
    Required on client = named anything, referenced by the server (listed in sv_referencedPakNames.)
    Usable on the client, but not required = named anything, exists on the server (listed in sv_pakNames.)

That sheads some light on it.

Thank you!

In short, it was a defective carbon-based unit fouling it all up.
    I forgot I was playing with 000.pk3 to see if I could change a few things
    Ooooops.
    Copied the original from one box to the other, shazam! Pure server up and running correctly!

CONS problem

New Fresh Problem

Can anyone help with a CONS related problem I've been getting. I've tried to work it out myself, but I've spent so much time on it, I need other angles to attack this from.
    Firstly I am trying to compile the ET source under freebsd 4.10-release.
    I have gcc 2.95.4. I am relatively new to this, so I apologise in advance if I ask a stupid question. I have tried to solve the problem myself but can't. I've read the Compiling a mod under GNU/Linux post which is how i've ended up here.
    The only real change I've made from the original is adding the path of perl ( /usr/bin/perl) in the CONS file. Then I type

>./cons -- release

which gives me the following:

/lib/libc.so.6: not found
    cat: ../game/q_shared.h: No such file or directory
    Enemy Territory version
    cpu : x86
    libc:
    configured for release build, in directory release-x86-FreeBSD-
    CFLAGS: -pipe -fsigned-char -DMISSIONPACK -DNDEBUG -O6 -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentium -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -fno-strict-aliasing -fstrength-reduce -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2
    Ignoring missing script "/home/src/extractfuncs/Conscript" (script::Build in Construct, line 334) at ./cons line 749.
    Ignoring missing script "/home/buser/unix/Conscript-game" (script::Build in Construct, line 393) at ./cons line 749.
    Ignoring missing script "/home/src/unix/Conscript-cgame" (script::Build in Construct, line 409) at ./cons line 749.
    Ignoring missing script "/home/src/unix/Conscript-ui" (script::Build in Construct, line 420) at ./cons line 749.
    cons: don't know how to construct "release-x86-FreeBSD-/out"

I think it might be because of the unzip command not maintaining the directory structure. Is there a way I can unzip and maintain the dir structure in freebsd?

Or any suggestions/advice?

I am having some problems with running my mod on Gentoo Linux. I have ET 2.56, GCC 3.4 and Libc2.3. Conscript is set to use GCC3.
    Running ./conscript -- release gives me a message about missing the extractfuncs/Conscript script. Is this important? It seems to build anyway.

I installed the files in my ~/.etwolf folder under frostet(so creative) like this:
    frostet
    • cgame.mp.i386.so
      qagame.mp.i386.so
      ui.mp.i386.so

I stuck all of the files into a mp_bin.pk3 and a frostet-0.pk3. I have also tried pak12321.pk3.

Upon starting a listen server, the game attempts to replace my qagame.mp.i386.so. I tried changing the file permissions arround, and now it says that it failed to remove the outdated ~/.etwolf/frostet/qagame.mp.i386.so. It does not attempt to change any other files, and I can run server side only stuff.

I am using the command line "et +set fs_game frostet +set fs_homepath ~/.etwolf +set fs_basepath /opt/enemy-territory"

What is wrong?

Note: all ~'s are really my home directory path.

EDIT: or maybe it is that I can only run client side mods? I'm not sure. I know that I have sucessfully changed the death messages some.

EDIT again: It seems to be working now. I think it had something to do with having only the Linux libraries in the directory.

How to compile under Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I am having some problems with running my mod on Gentoo Linux. I have ET 2.56, GCC 3.4 and Libc2.3. Conscript is set to use GCC3.
    Running ./conscript -- release gives me a message about missing the extractfuncs/Conscript script. Is this important? It seems to build anyway.
    to compile et under linux :
    Code:
    cd my_path/WET_Source/src/unix
    perl cons -- release gcc3
    I installed the files in my ~/.etwolf folder under frostet(so creative) like this:
    You should install the *.so files into the "global" folder (ex: /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/mymod) because et overwrites the ~/.etwolf/mymod/*.so files by the original etmain *.so.

I am using the command line "et +set fs_game frostet +set fs_homepath ~/.etwolf +set fs_basepath /opt/enemy-territory"
    to launch et :
    Code:
    et +set fs_game mymod +set sv_pure 0
    VoilĂ , :-)

Alan

Re: How to compile under Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Code:
    et +set fs_game mymod +set sv_pure 0
    VoilĂ , :-)

Alan
    You do not need to set sv_pure 0 to run a mod, assuming you have correctly created mp_bin.pk3
    :nag:=:tapir:?:beer:::moo:;

uh. what?

okay im trying to download this SS skin pack by vlasterx and this is what i've got it under.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\KJ23W3WH\ss_skinpack_v1[1]

okay. now i dont understand that mumbo jumbo stuff about the files so i dont know what to do. it says put it in your et main folder, but i dont understand that. :moo:
    can someone tell me the what to put in the extraction wizard thing? im only 9 so i dont get it

Hi, I'm using MS Visual Studio 2006 to compile, but after my compile is done I have 3 .dll files and 3 .ilk files.
    But I need .so files for ET.
    I don't know why he is making ilk files out of them, are they the same or something??

Greetz Panther aka Way2Evil
    Kill 'em all, Let god sort 'em out!
    This Panther is Way2Evil
    WWW.SDP-GAMING.COM
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/way2evil.png

please spam me: way2evil@portomail.nl

Occasionally AFK
    Most Recent Awards:

The ilk files could be temporary build files but in the worst case it are special files to which the dll's refer.
    I'm not sure if you can actually compile a mod with VS 2005, I allways did it with VC++ 6. (As it can build C code as well)
    Just throw the .dll files without the ilk files inside a new folder in your Wolfenstein dir (Not in etmain!) and start ET with
    Code:
    +set sv_pure 0 + set fs_game <yourfoldername>
    If it doesn't crash the instant you load a map, you may have a working mod.

If you need .so files, you need to ask someone else using Linux, I've got it set up under Gentoo.
    "Respect is everything" - GTA2
    "Notheeeeeng is final." - Bongoboy

Well I compiled it with MSV2006 and put the files into the right map etc and compressed the mp_bin.pk3 and it worked fine.
    This Panther is Way2Evil
    WWW.SDP-GAMING.COM

Most Recent Awards:

.dll files are Windows files.
    Where as you need .so files under linux.

hmmm, so my mod probably won't work under linux? =(
    This Panther is Way2Evil
    WWW.SDP-GAMING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by P4nth3r
    hmmm, so my mod probably won't work under linux? =(
    right.