Tracemap mod for higher-resolution tracemaps

(duke'ku) #1

Here’s a mod for anyone who wants higher-resolution tracemaps for making their command map (I found it difficult getting the results I wanted with the small images etmain produces.) It increases the resolution from 512x512 to 1024x1024. Take note that this also greatly increases the time it takes to make the tracemap. Here’s the Oasis tracemap in a higher resolution, if anyone wants to see what it produces.

Download link is here: http://games.theteamkillers.net/rtcw/dooxmod/

To run the mod, make a folder called dooxmod in your ET folder. Place the dll file in there, and launch the game with +set fs_game dooxmod +set sv_pure 0 +developer 1. After that, load up your map and use /generatetracemap. Your computer might seem unresponsive, but just wait, it took about a minute to generate on mine. If anyone wants a linux build, please ask, I’ll whip one up quickly.

(Chruker) #2

I’m just bookmarking this thing. Thats great work. It will definately be usefull when I get to that stage myself.

Now if you could make an app that would delete unnessary brushes, ie. brushes that can’t be seen from the playable area, that would be super :wink:

(duke'ku) #3

I’m trying to make one that has user-specified tracemap sizes, but I’m running into a bit of trouble (read: I don’t know what I’m doing ;))

(Ramoonus) #4

more people should use it if ya release the source-code

(duke'ku) #5

bg_tracemap.c:

#define TRACEMAP_SIZE				1024

:moo:

(Irrelevant) #6

roffle :moo:

surely there’s more to it than that…

(duke'ku) #7

not at all, changing that value will change the size

(Schaffer) #8

I understand the benifits oif using a higher resolution for the base of a command map but is there any benifit in game of a higher res trace map for use with motar, etc…?

Is it possible to modify the code somewhere so that the Tracemap size is accessible via a CVAR and then possible setup an extended menu (like with the bobots) so that you can set the tracemap size and also generate this?

Looks good though and will try this tommorrow for a command map I have to do for someone. It will be nice to work with detail rather than blur :eek2:

(fretn) #9

Chruker: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~digibob/bobtoolz.html -> brush cleanup

(Chruker) #10

fretn: No, my brushes ain’t broken.
Lets say you have a skybox with lots of big mountains. Then I could use such a function to remove the part of the the skybox that will never be seen from the playable area.

(fretn) #11

Removing Invisible ( aka phantom ) Brushes

thought this could help u out :slight_smile:
but I’m a mapping noob :wink:

(G0-Gerbil) #12

When I change my shortcut destination to:

“C:\Games\Enemy Territory\ET.exe +set fs_game dooxmod +set sv_pure 0 +developer 1”

I get some crap in spanish (NOT the OS language of choice but that’s what I get for being in SA) that I can’t translate, but basically it says it’s invalid. Any ideas of ways around?
I thought there was a way of selecting mods in-game, but it looks like they took that out from RTCW :frowning:

[edit] Same for the run option in start - it’ll happily process it without any of the arguements, but even adding the +set bit and it refuses to accept it as valid :frowning:

(nUllSkillZ) #13

I think these are the quotation marks.
Just use something like this:
"C:\Programme\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\modding\ET.exe" +set fs_game mymod +set sv_pure 0

(G0-Gerbil) #14

Cheers, will give it a try and report back.

UPDATE: Nope no joy :frowning:
I’ll have a play around a bit more - didn’t really feel the need for a higher resolution tracemap this time, but will want it for next release for more accurate rain, not to mention making my command map that bit nicer :slight_smile:

(duke'ku) #15

Try removing mp_bin.pk3 while testing, it should solve the problem. If not, ask me, I’ll try to compile a version that fixes it.

(duke'ku) #16

I’ve tried adding a cvar, but I don’t really know jack shit about coding, so I’ll have to poke around a bit more before I can get something that works.

The main reason for this small mod is just to get higher resolution images to work with for command maps. I made the command map for Raiders, it wasn’t very fun working with 256x256 tracemaps - they don’t look too great when they’re resized :slight_smile:

(Schaffer) #17

I know what it’s like working with fiddly tracemaps for the command maps. I did the command maps for the later releases of Kommandos maps (Cherbourg v2, Forest and the soon to be released Tsunami) as well as Stalingrad. The Stalingrad nearly drove me made tring to isolate the buildings from everything else. With this mod (and thankyou very much for working this one out) command maps would be a breeze. I had a word with Fluufy Gimp and he said that Splash Gamage originally used 1024 for the command maps.

I like the water paint type effect you have with the raiders map with the water overlapping. I think that has a cool effect to it.

I have tried playing around with the ui menus. I have added an extra one with the label of tracemap that obly appears in game. Problem i get is it just drops out of the menus when I click on this. Still trying to work it out.

(G0-Gerbil) #18

BTW how will I know if the mod works - is there any graphical change say on the main menu screen? Might help me know if it’s working properly :smiley:

(DaRkFiRe) #19

Forgive my stupidity, but how do I run the game with +set fs_game dooxmod?

(SCDS_reyalP) #20

uh this mod will let you generate a higher res tracemap, but I assume if you try to use that with unmodified game, it will fail, right ?