MLB Egypt, Temple.

(Smiley.) #1

Hey guys!

Wanted to take a look around MLB egypt and temple from TWT source files but for both maps I get an error saying: Couldn’t read maps/mlb_egypt_cave_c.tga for egypt and for Temple I get Couldn’t read maps/_temple_alpa_4.tga . I’m not sure what this means, maybe some sort of file I’m missing (which I can’t find in neither map pk3 or source pk3.) So does anyone know how to fix this, if this is even fixable?

Thank you in advance!

Smiley.

(KeMoN) #2

My personal approach would be to create a bright pink image for each missing texture and pack it in the respective pk3. I would then check ingame where this texture appears and would find/create a suitable replacement that fits the style of the map and the environment of the areas in the map.

If nothing is pink then the textures are only used as a submodule in a shader. Open all shaderdiles and search for the filename. Depending on what the shader is, I would either throw it out and find/create a replacement or modify it.

If you have a fix, please post it here so future mappers can also make use of your findings.

(WuTangH) #3

These settings are part of func_group (terrain) entity.
If you select a terrain brush and press N to openup Entities window, you can see these values there.

I think that It is from an old method to do texture work on terrain, where you need to blend images between eachother using a .pcx file, and other stuff…
For example, easyGen software can generate terrains like this. The problem is, that you cant really manipulate with terrain and its textures after it is all generated.
I guess you are missing the .pcx file, and maybe some other things that were used for this method (I dont remember it all anymore)…
Maybe you can find it packed in MLB map packs.

You can also delete these entity keys (alphamap, shader, layers, terrain) from func_group, and retexture the terrain by youself in Radiant. I think it should start to compile okey once you delete these keys.
If you go this way, you can also edit whatever part of terrain you want, because it won’t be connected to the .pcx file anymore.

Terrain blending tutorial:
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles/terrain2_1.htm

(Smiley.) #4

Thank you for the responses guys, I’ll have a look if it works!

(Smiley.) #5

“You can also delete these entity keys (alphamap, shader, layers, terrain) from func_group, and retexture the terrain by youself in Radiant. I think it should start to compile okey once you delete these keys.”
This fixed it, thanks Wutangh!