Downgrade Resolution on Fullscreen Mode

(REA987) #1

Hi,

Frankly, it’s a bit shame to consult the forum for such problem but I couldn’t find any solution no matter what… Here is my issue; I’m using my 14" laptop with 1080p native resolution, same goes for ETQW with 16:9 aspect ratio on Linux. Recently, I have been experiencing serious frame drops which are probably related with my graphics drivers. Anyway, I decided to downgrade the game’s resolution to 900p or even 720p to gain framerate and stabilize it. However, for an unknown reason, the game centers the downsized screen instead of stretching it to fullscreen. There are literally black bars around the 720p image despite being already fullscreen. I tried to tweak ~/.etqwcl/base/etqwconfig.cfg by by comparing it following source;

http://www.tweakguides.com/ETQW_8.html

The key value should be r_mode as it has been since the original Quake but setting it to -1 makes no difference. Here are related lines from my config;

seta r_customAspectRatioV "9"
seta r_customAspectRatioH "16"
seta r_aspectRatio "-1"
seta r_customHeight "720"
seta r_customWidth "1280"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_useSDLModes "1"

And here is the result:

Does anyone have a clue? I suspect r_useSDLModes but setting it to 0 has made no difference…

Thanks, regards!

(Pliscin-7) #2

are you sure that you have fullscreen selected in your nvidia settings under “adjust desktop size and position”?

(REA987) #3

Thanks for the answer, Pliscin-7! Do you mean that option?

NVIDIA X Server Settings on Linux has no such option…

As I recently tried; Half-Life, Quake (QuakeSpasm), Xash3D, Serious Sam Fusion 2017 had no such problem, but as all of them up-to-date titles that embrace SDL2 fully, that’s to be expected. However, an up-to-date UDK game Unmechanical which also uses SDL2 had locked 1080p resolution problem… I will try other id Tech 4 games from that era; I have Quake 4, Prey. Let’s see about that.

(REA987) #4

So… I tried Prey (id Tech 4), Quake 4 (id Tech 4) and Unreal Tournament 2004 (Unreal Engine 2); all of them have exactly the same centering the downsized screen on fullscreen mode problem. Is it clear that is a Linux specific issue. I tried to switch to [strike]Intel graphics card which uses open source Mesa drivers; result is the same.[/strike] It looks like I need to consult a Linux specific place; Linux users?

Here is my system details via Steam:

Computer Information:
    Manufacturer:  Unknown
    Model:  Unknown
    Form Factor: Laptop
    No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
    CPU Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    CPU Brand:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
    CPU Family:  0x6
    CPU Model:  0x4e
    CPU Stepping:  0x3
    CPU Type:  0x0
    Speed:  2800 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Supported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported
    AES:  Supported
    AVX:  Supported
    CMPXCHG16B:  Supported
    LAHF/SAHF:  Supported
    PrefetchW:  Unsupported

Operating System Version:
    Ubuntu 17.10 (64 bit)
    Kernel Name:  Linux
    Kernel Version:  4.13.0-21-generic
    X Server Vendor:  The X.Org Foundation
    X Server Release:  11905000
    X Window Manager:  Metacity (Marco)
    Steam Runtime Version:  steam-runtime-beta-release_2017-10-05

Video Card:
    Driver:  NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 940M/PCIe/SSE2
    Driver Version:  4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.98
    OpenGL Version: 4.5
    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
    VendorID:  0x10de
    DeviceID:  0x1347
    Revision Not Detected
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1080
    Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Primary Display Size: 12.17" x 6.85" (13.94" diag)
                                            30.9cm x 17.4cm (35.4cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 4x
    Primary VRAM: 2048 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x 16x 

Sound card:
    Audio device: Realtek ALC236

Memory:
    RAM:  3745 Mb

Miscellaneous:
    UI Language:  English
    LANG:  tr_TR.UTF-8
    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  191224 Mb
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  87778 Mb
    VR Headset: None detected

(ressected) #5

I just tried it on my laptop and while it has the same issue, I was able to get lower resolutions to stretch to the the size of what it was in windowed mode. So if I had it at 1600x900 in windowed mode, then selected full screen at 1024x576, it would stretch the lower res to the size of the 1600x900 in full screen mode, but not fill the entire monitor. So maybe that is a compromise. That all being said, your laptop really should handle ETQW at 1080p with no problem. It’s got a i5-6200U /w DDR4 and a late gen nvidia card, even if it’s “mobile” versions. Make sure nvidia quality settings are set to performance, no AA, etc. Also set your cpu to performance mode by typing (as root) “cpupower frequency-set -g performance” Using a light desktop such as LXDE will also get you a few more FPS. Another thing, as my laptop has a similar hybrid nvidia/intel graphics I have to use the “bumblebee” wrapper program to force apps to use nvidia, so make sure ETQW is using nvidia by default. Try watching a system monitor to see what is eating cpu while you play, and make sure it isn’t some pulseaudio workaround thing going on.

(edxot) #6

you also have the fps drop in linux ?

because i would consider the anti-virus activity to cause the drop, but if you have it in linux too …

(Pliscin-7) #7

[QUOTE=REA987;571550]Thanks for the answer, Pliscin-7! Do you mean that option?

NVIDIA X Server Settings on Linux has no such option…

As I recently tried; Half-Life, Quake (QuakeSpasm), Xash3D, Serious Sam Fusion 2017 had no such problem, but as all of them up-to-date titles that embrace SDL2 fully, that’s to be expected. However, an up-to-date UDK game Unmechanical which also uses SDL2 had locked 1080p resolution problem… I will try other id Tech 4 games from that era; I have Quake 4, Prey. Let’s see about that.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats what i was talking about… but loooks all normal =/ i also have no idea then sorry

(REA987) #8

It turned out to be a Nvidia Optimus + SDL1.2 issue which cannot be solved easily…

(REA987) #9

I somewhat solved SDL1.2 issue by using SDL Compatibility Library but as it doesn’t support threaded renderer for the time being, it’s not that useful currently…

(you_is_me) #10

From reading on Reddit I assume if you downsize your Desktop Resolution and start ETQW it will be in Fullscreen?
If your using X11 you can use an easy tool xrandr to change desktop resolution (and refresh rate).

Just add a line into your startup script to change the resolution before starting ETQW and changing back after existing.
E.g.:
xrandr -s 1024x768
etqw-rthread.x86
xrandr -s 1920x1080

Note: This will mess up your Desktop Icons I think. So you may want save your current Desktop and Restore after exiting ETQW. This depends on your Desktop (XFCE etc.) but there should be many tutorials around.

(REA987) #11

[QUOTE=you_is_me;571685]From reading on Reddit I assume if you downsize your Desktop Resolution and start ETQW it will be in Fullscreen?
If your using X11 you can use an easy tool xrandr to change desktop resolution (and refresh rate).

Just add a line into your startup script to change the resolution before starting ETQW and changing back after existing.
E.g.:
xrandr -s 1024x768
etqw-rthread.x86
xrandr -s 1920x1080
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that seems like a sound idea. I still want to benefit from SDL 2.0 but I need to wait for answer of SDLCL’s dev.

Edit: After digging a bit, I found correct commands;

xrandr --output eDP-1-1 --mode 1360x768
xrandr --output eDP-1-1 --mode 1920x1080

PS: Nvidia on a Linux laptop is a joke…