Is using supply crate trick cheating?

(REA987) #1

The game does keep supply crates that are called just before class change respawn; is using such trick cheating, does it cause bans on servers like Jesus, Villa, BBA and TAW? Thanks.

(Blue_Wolf) #2

hello REA,

I didn’t even know this existed. As far as I know, no such rule is stated on either one of the servers you mentioned. I think sever admins would have to give their own opinion on this as to regulation, but it doesn’t seem all too harmful to me.

(REA987) #3

Well, assuming that in a 10v10 match up, GDF team can have 10 or more crates while having only couple permanent medics at the same time. A create provides 50 grenades which can be thrown endlessly as long as the player remains near the crate. On the other hand, Strogg has spawn host class change ability which is a bit overkill in my opinion.

(Blue_Wolf) #4

well the thing is that relatively speaking, supply crates are easily destroyed in a match. Upon destruction the player would have to change his class to medic again to perform the same trick. I think that the amount of effort to be put into doing this renders too weak of an advantage. Also, looking at the current playerbase, there will not be many people actually willing or even able to do this in a real game. So I’d say, if exploitation of this trick will become an unbalancing factor in games, it can then be banned

(CaliberWorkz) #5

I used to do this trick years ago. And I don’t think that anyone cared or even noticed. :cool:

(edxot) #6

this “trick” was one of the motivations behind that thread “admins tardiness reaching new levels” in villa forum.

I left the game, and the trick was not working on villa.
some time later (not sure how much), I came back, and it was working.
was able to use it only for a couple of days because suddenly it stopped working again.

I thought it was admins fault, but now I am not so sure any more.

(REA987) #7

[QUOTE=edxot;570913]I left the game, and the trick was not working on villa.
some time later (not sure how much), I came back, and it was working.
was able to use it only for a couple of days because suddenly it stopped working again.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you were executing the trick correctly? As Villa server is down I didn’t try it there but there are few important points;

• This trick may not work during warm up.
  • Supply Drop Marker should be thrown 4-5 seconds before the respawn timer resets.
  • Class change respawn should be made immediately after throwing the marker.

(edxot) #8

I am not sure, and that means it was working anyway you dit it.
You now talk about 4-5 seconds, but I heard about 9 seconds from some other guy, so …

this was useless most of the time, but there were special situations:

• it lets a soldier have a crate on top of the building on ark.
  • lets engineers have crates in quarry. I would use it near third cell.

it’s mostly useful when gdf defending.

This is old news for old players, and I would be very surprised if you found about it just now. Not sure what you are trying to know with your question.
Because nobody ever called it cheating before. And the fact that you suggested it in that way, makes me wonder about who was behind the strange villa behavior.

(Gvardman) #9

@edxot the reason this trick didn’t work for you is most likely because your PC was hacked.

(REA987) #10

Well, it looks like ressected heard my call and blocked such trick in TAW|NA server.

You are not allowed to hold this Supply Crate!

Tricky tricky… :stuck_out_tongue:

(you_is_me) #11

I think there are many more tricks most people are not aware of.
When you throw the Supply Marker and respawn during the throw animation the supply will drop but you will keep all the medpacks (so you don’t loose your stack).
Also if you use TS or anything else you can tell another person to kill you during this (and if he is a medic he can revive you of course).
The timing is not that hard (its easier with ui_showgun 1 of course)

(REA987) #12

It looks like the trick works only on vanilla servers; Tourney mod doesn’t allow such trick. But it is amusing to see a collection of valid icons in the Deployable Status HUD. :stuck_out_tongue: