Thread: Understanding shaders and other basic principles of ETQW map making

Understanding shaders and other basic principles of ETQW map making

Hey everyone,

I was looking for ETQW tutorials and information on which common textures should be used when designing a level and why. I already know that there are example world files but they don't really explain to me why certain textures were used vs. others. Here is my understanding so far, please correct me if I am wrong or misunderstand something.

caulk:
    Caulk is used to prevent areas from leaking. This is used when you use vis portals (only visportals?) to make sure your room is still sealed off. Is there any documentation about leaking or caulk?

clip:
    There are many types of textures used for clipping such as "clip, clip_metal, clip_noflyer,clip_plus, clip_plusmovables". These textures block movement based on if their materials were defined with "playerclip, flyerhiveclip, vehicleclip, moveableclip, explosionclip, or projectileclip".

collision:
    I'm not sure what collision brushes do but they have a shader called "collision". I'm not sure how they are different from "clip" textures.

I see clip materials use:
    -noimpact
    -nonsolid
    -playerclip
    -flyerhiveclip
    -vehicleclip
    -noshadows
    -collision

whereas collision materials use:
    -noshadows
    -collision
    -vertexPositionOnly
    -surfaceType "none"

Could someone explain to me the difference?

I also don't understand the difference between the aas textures for bots. I'm trying to figure out bot stuff but there's little information. I started digging through the bot_entity file and scripting to figure out how to implement bots properly.

I think understanding the properties in the material declaration will significantly help my understanding of these common textures and answer my question on when to use them. Does anyone know any site with this information, I googled a lot and am not finding anything that explains the basics of leaking and proper use of these materials.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Understanding shaders and other basic principles of ETQW map making

Quote Originally Posted by MistaSparkle View Post
    and every time Nail comes in and ruins it

Yes, I have definitely seen all those tutorials but they still don't answer my questions. I have even google I'd tech 3 engine and found more tutorials there but they still don't answer my questions.

Ok so I think I found something for DOOM 3 that explains some of my questions:

https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php

There's a section on this page called "Global Surface Parameters". It says that when "noimpact" is added to a surface/material that it won't make impact explosions or marks. This prevents bullet holes from showing up on the surface. It also says when "collision" parameter is added, it defines it as a collision surface. If a model has no collision surfaces, then all surfaces are considered as collision surfaces.

I'm still a bit confused. Maybe it's because clip textures are considered both "nonsolid" and have "collision" set. Seems contradictory... Does anyone have detailed information on shader parameters?

Quote Originally Posted by Nail View Post
    I guess the link to the table I found is exactly like the table on the ETQW mod wiki page. Thanks Nail. I just wish there was more information on these surface parameters.

From memory the collision shaders are used only really used in models to make collision detection much simpler on more intricate models. Clips are used for preventing players and other things from going through places where you don't want them to or to stop them catching on small objects when they run by them.

ETQW Mediocre Club

Thanks Chris! Do you know what "nonsolid" and "solid" means when used for surface parameters in mtr declarations?

Also, have you done a lot with bots in your custom maps to know about which materials to use. I've put together that aasobstacle is a texture you should apply to an entity that will be enabled/disabled through scripting, while asssolid is typically used for static behaving entities.

I never bothered with bots as it was such a mine field. The map references might give you some clues though.

ETQW Mediocre Club

Yeah, I have made a little progress with bots by using the map references but it is very confusing. Have you learned anything at all by chance about why you texture certain brushes with aassolid whereas other brushes don't get this texture at all? Have you learned anything at all about creating areas?

Hey,

That's by no means my specialty but have you checked following wiki?

https://modwiki.xnet.fi/Enemy_Territory:_Quake_Wars
    https://modwiki.xnet.fi/

Regards.