New Dev Video: Sniper and Shotgun Changes

(Chris Mullins) #1

Hey all!

Along with the first of many weapon balance updates, a Bonus Credit weekend and a First Edition week are coming too:

Community Spotlight - ‘Dirty Bomb: The Sword is Mightier’ by Toasty Haymaker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kfv5hXMmIg
OCB World Cup: https://www.twitch.tv/andarne
Submit a Dirty Bomb Support Ticket: https://dirtybombsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Subscribe to us on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/dirtybombgame/videos
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DirtyBombGame/
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/DirtyBomb

Enjoy!
shoe.

(TitaniumRapture) #2

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE. Btw I like your AKG headphones. :slight_smile:

(TheStrangerous) #3

Weapons balance before merc balance? Sound reasonable, fair enough.
The whole game is based around gunfights, not “abilityfights” like in a typical hero shooter.

(GatoCommodore) #4

-shotgun headshot damage multiplier decreased
-shotgun accuracy increased

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
like the point of having a shotgun is…
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
im sorry… its just they wanted to reward good ai-
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

is this the telemetry stuff talking?

my bet there wont be any ammo count buff for the nerfed weapons
just tuck my sheet up sempai

(Xenithos) #5

@GatoCommodore said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If they choose not to buff the respective ammo of some of these weapons, or adjust the final dps of the bursts after the delay is taken into effect I won’t know what to think. I also hope that their numbers also take into account the average level and player skill for mercs. Such as Kiras seem incredible to players that never play her because she is simply usually played by players with a higher skill level.

I will wait until I see the number changes before actually saying anything though. It’s very possible these changes to shotguns and semi snipers were exactly what we needed.

(henki000) #6

rip

(Xenithos) #7

Normally the community spotlights are meh or okay. This one was actually awesome, the humor was on point.

(GatoCommodore) #8

@Xenithos said:
Normally the community spotlights are meh or okay. This one was actually awesome, the humor was on point.

how can people play with that kind of FOV

(Pokeking593) #9

@GatoCommodore said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Shotguns already reward good aim as it takes just that to shoot someone at close range as the (strafing) movement of something close by is perceived to be much more than something far away. And since they are designed for short range fights, they don’t need anymore accuracy for that than they do have.

(Edit:) If the change in accuracy is simply a decrease in maximum spread, then it benefits those who like to bounce around with a shotgun, which having people more of a benefit to gunplay while bouncing around isn’t exactly balanced. Any other changes to accuracy are simply unnecessary. (Edit end)

Reducing the damage on shotguns even by 1 point per pellet will mean it will take an extra round or two for any variant to actually get a kill depending on the distance even with a meat shot. Increasing the pellet count for all shotguns would counter-act this, but this would need a very small decrease in accuracy to balance this rather unnecessary set of changes.

As for the headshot damage multiplier reduction, the reason given is complete bullshit as it actually takes more skill and relaxation to aim for the head than it does the body, and the head is also half the size of the bodies of most mercs. Unless the target is completely or nearly still and/or unaware, headshots are not going to occur.

The telemetry itself is also unable to properly count how many times the trigger of a shotgun is pulled while aiming at a head as it thinks that each pellet that hits a head as a “headshot” for the aftermatch showcase/awards. I found this out as it gave me a spotlight for “most headshots” with a count of 36-39, but in reality I had gotten that by pulling the trigger of an Anhulds aiming at a head about 3-5 times (mostly proxies) while I had played Fletcher the entire match. So no, shotguns don’t need any change in headshot multiplier as the telemetry is giving you the number of pellets that hit a head in a match, rather than the number of trigger pulls of shotguns that are aimed at heads.

Overall, shotguns don’t need any change at all as they are in a pretty good spot right now, and your time and attention is going to be wasted working on adjusting them when they are in such a niche. And if shotguns do get a serious hit to their viability, the high speed and low health mercs that have them as primaries for most of their loadouts will be instead played with alternate weapons, or even changed out for different mercs altogether.

(FishRolls) #10

So with shotguns I’m rewarded less for getting close? That seems to be what they’re trying to do.

(azz_abdr) #11

Shotguns are fine now, it was ridiculously powerful. Nerf it further make it weakest primary on game.
Why do they love to nerf shotguns to the ground? Don’t hear salty kids crying because getting rekt in close range with shotguns, because that’s what shotguns should work, a powerful close range weapon, shotguns player can be easily killed at medium range combat. It started to lose It’s effectiveness on 6 meters and not all pellets can hit target unless they standing so close to the face. I see a lot of shotguns player can be compared to Phantom players, getting close range, kill 1 and then get killed immediately.

Why devs, why you do this?

Oh I remember someone said [“never underestimate SD’s incompetence”](http://steamcommunity.com/app/333930/discussions/0/1480982971177784141/?ctp=2#c1483235412194986564“never underestimate SD’s incompetence””).

(update: lol I am flagged for this, here comes ban XD )

(Mc1412013) #12

There goes my one shot speed runs with aura around the corner

(B_Montiel) #13

Like decreasing headshot multiplier would actually reward good aim… It’s just rewarding random cursor placement on body, which is sad. I’d better see the multiplier actually being increased and base dmg per pellet reduced, but you know, whatever float your boats men.

(kopyright) #14

To me that sounded like “Hey, it’s us! We nerfed every aspect of the game you enjoy. Have fun!”

(Ptiloui) #15

So, shotgun become regular gun ?
Inb4 shotgun will be worse than the Grandeur SR.

(watsyurdeal) #16

Honestly it seems like one of two routes

1. A shotgun that 1 hits certain targets if all pellets connect to the head, 110 hp or 120 hp for example
  2. A shotgun that consistently kills in 2 blasts, 110 to 120 hp targets, if all pellets connect to anywhere on the body

And either one I’d use

I just want shotguns to be viable, consistent weapons.

(TitaniumRapture) #17

SHOTGUNS OP PLZ NERF!!!
SNIPERS OP PLZ NERF!!!
BURSTS OP NERF BURSTS!!!

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU NERFING SHOTGUNS?!?!?!?!?
WHY THE HELL ARE YOU NERFING BURST RIFLES?!?!?!
WHY THE HELL ARE YOU NERFING SNIPERS?!?!

(Eox) #18

Don’t expect those to be the only changes coming for shotguns. The change list will be pretty big. Shotguns will probably get other changes as well to justify the spread and damage changes.

The announced changes were just a very few among a very big list of balance changes affecting a broad variety of weapons. The announced changes were just cherry picked. Shotguns, snipers and burst rifles also won’t be the only guns recieving balance tweaks. You can safely expect buffs or nerfs on other weapons as well.

(Begin2018) #19

Nerf shotguns? Yes, Proxy was probably too powerful comparing to Javelin! C4te was probably bored to be rekt.

SD, do you realize DB is in its worse state ever?

The game need at least 8 new maps, some mercs ruins the Objective side of the game, as Javelin and Fantom, CMM and Ranked balance totally sucks because you are mixing old and new players, making the game not fun and boring, 5v5 and 6v6 is too few.

So many things to add and fix, but all you do are minor changes and new broken mercs.
I had fun with this game in the past, but now it’s just a dead game.

About the second video, ‘Dirty Bomb: The Sword is Mightier’, that’s exactly one of the main problem. This guy do nothing about Objective : not delivering, not defusing, not repairing the EV, no breaking the EV, no team-play, no strategy… Just a silly ‘knife runner’ as in Call of Duty TDM. Same thing for Vaseline.

(Jigstraw) #20

SMG9 buffs. Give us alllll the SMG9 buffs.