How to enjoy the solo queue

(Teflon Love) #1

As plenty of threads already point out the ranked experience of the solo queue currently is, uhm, lacking.

Nevertheless I finally found a way to make it worthwhile so here is how:

When deciding upon my squad, I pick 2 mercs I’m competent with and that are helpful to aid with the objective. A medic with the mechanic perk always is a good choice, so is everything that can give ammo and destroy the EV/generator.

For the 3rd slot I pick a merc I’m clueless with. Snipers, Rhino and Phantom are general good choices. My current favorite is Aimee with the Grandeur. She’s fast and can cause chaos while the Snitch collects XP even if you can’t hit anything.

So when the game starts I pick one of my useful mercs and play the game seriously for 2 or 3 minutes.

If the first few minutes show that it’s a good game, I continue playing it seriously. Doesn’t matter who wins, it’s a fun game.

If the first few minutes show that my team is much better, I continue to play it seriously and collect easy 50 credits. Crappy game but at least I made a quick buck.

If the first few minutes show that some of the players in my team are clueless, I switch to the 3rd merc and join the cluelessness. This makes us fail even harder. Nevertheless I can practice my bad merc and over time get better (supposedly).

Eventually I start a vote for surrender. Quite often this works out, the crap is over and I quickly earned 10 credits. Sometimes it takes a little convincing in the chat like:

• “Surrender for quick 10 credits”
  • “Surrender gives you 10 credits now instead of in 20 minutes”
  • “Surrender means more credits per minute”

Typically soon after that someone else starts a vote for surrender which succeeds. Voila, crap over and 10 credits.

Every once in a while some butt hurt tryhard refuses to surrender. Well, then it’s more practice for my bad merc.

To sum up the advantages:

• You spend more time playing good games and less playing crappy ones.
  • You earn more credits per minute.
  • You practice mercs you’re inexperienced with.
  • Instead of getting angry about crappy snipers you become one. It’s a zen thing.

They only downside is that now a lot more players hate me for being a crappy sniper. I guess I have to live with that.

(XavienX) #2

Only if I was this positive… It’s just so frustrating that you’re stuck at the same rank after like 15 matches, like all those hours for nothing.

(Teflon Love) #3

@XavienX said:
Only if I was this positive…
I’m not positive, I’m cynical. :frowning:

(FantasticMango) #4

I think you’re referring to ranked points instead of credits. You gain ten ranked points for a loss. Credits you earn per minute of gameplay. So if it takes forever to queue and find a game then it is in one’s best interest to prolong the game for as long as possible to farm bonus credits given in ranked mode.

(MarsRover) #5

I also employ a 2+1 merc rule, except the third merc in my case is someone I want to play now, which currently is Fragger.

(AlbinMatt) #6

I usually just open up the mic, and chat with my team. First few minutes are always about coordinating pushes, and choking points, but most of the time it just derails. Once had a game where some madman pulls up CSGO strats, and we just played along. Never have I had more fun in Ranked, than when we went 4 Thunders and one Fletcher on Jackal Terminal. 4 minutes later, the enemy team were taunting and bickering in chat, and someone even left, while another AFKed.

So, how do you have fun in Ranked, where everything is BS? As SirSwag had once said:

“Embrace the bullsht, be the bullsht”.

(nokiII) #7

Boohoo my team hasn’t finished the map in 3.5 minutes, I better go and ruin the whole match by playing subpar.

You’re everything what’s wrong with ranked.

(GatoCommodore) #8

maybe raise the win points to 100 per win so people dont want to surrender

(Xenithos) #9

Yeah… If I run into you and ask you to be serious about this, I ask that you do. Sometimes/ more often than not, you run into matches where you just need a little extra oomph. I hate it when we have that one-two guys that are stupider than belief, and it turns out they’re gold. Like… how tf are you gold and in last place? Dropping or some stupid crap?