Thread: Retail PC, Retail Mac, Steam license code and game account compability

Retail PC, Retail Mac, Steam license code and game account compability

Hey all,

I wonder if license codes and game accounts of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is compatible with Retail PC, Retail Mac and Steam version. I do not mean Steam key activation; instead usage of license code of one version with another version. As most you might aware, the retail PC version comes with a license code which players use to create online accounts to play the game online. Steam version however has its own CD key in Windows registry which stored in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\ETQW\licensecode" target. It can also be reach via Steam client's "CD Key" option. What do you think? Are those keys and game accounts compatible visa versa? I am asking this because as far as I see ETWQ stocks on Amazon and eBay are about to be drained. Couple years ago there were lots of used or even new ETQW available but recently I detect way less than 100 all regions combined. According to SteamDB, there are about 25,000 owners of ETQW which is more than enough keys to increase the population.

https://steamdb.info/app/10000/graphs/

Of course, using license code of ETQW which belongs to another Steam account is risky but I just want to increase the number of possibilities.

What do you think? Thanks.

Regards.

Re: Retail PC, Retail Mac, Steam license code and game account compability

I happily announce that retail license code and user accounts of the game are cross-platform which means same license code as well as user account work on native Windows, GNU/Linux and macOS versions of the game.

Though, I do not know about former digital releases such as Steam, Direct2Drive and GameAgent.

Most Recent Awards:

Buying a used retail box (PC) ;is the key will it be tie to the original owner only?

Quote Originally Posted by rookie1 View Post
    Buying a used retail box (PC) ;is the key will it be tie to the original owner only?
    That's not related with the topic but no. You will need to have a license code to create an online account in order to play the game online. Once you create your online account you won't be asked the license code any longer; the password of the account might be asked in case of log off/login. The password of the account can be reset by using the license code which you will receive with the game. So, you will own the game for sure.