Match just starting... or not

(DB Genome editor) #1

Not sure if it is a bug or just poor coding, but recently I have joined several matches which were shown in the browser as “just starting” only to find myself it the very last stage of a steam roll, and even in one case I didn’t even get to join from the lobby before the whole thing was over…

So what exactly is this “just starting” assessment based on? Is it purely time elapsed since the start of the match? If so, why not consider progress as well? I mean, if the first objective has been completed, never mind how quickly, I would definitely call that match “in progress” not “just starting” (never mind when you join Trainyard and there has already been one attempt made at delivering one of the datacores on the last stage…:rolleyes:).

(Mustang) #2

I agree.

When I asked the answer was that there doesn’t exist the option for the game servers to report such data as elapsed time, current objective time, map progress and such. As such I’d presume this is a local string that the server list adds based on a status change timestamp or something. Not sure why it was done this way, but again guessing here, perhaps so they could create a game agnostic backend service, or perhaps it just wasn’t a priority. Would be nice if there was the ability to have a lot more info in the server browser though, an accurate map progress indicator being one of them.

P.S. Anyone know a way to filter for just started? It’s far from perfect, but better than nothing.