SD, remember why you limited long jump? Please limit 'bunny hopping' as well

(AssortedStuff) #1

I remember some time ago the long jump being ‘limited’ (lacking a better term) so that players wouldn’t abuse it.
I feel the normal jump also needs something of the kind. You shouldn’t be able to jump non stop indefinitely!

As for the amount of jumps I don’t have a definite suggestion.
It could even be that each consecutive jump would be slightly lower in height than the previous (due to tiredness maybe?).

(Demolama) #2

in W:ET and RTCW jumping toons caused massive weapon spread, this is not the case for DB

(Dawnlazy) #3

You only keep momentum for 2 consecutive jumps. After that there is a noticeable movement penalty. And yes there is a ****ton of spread and recoil when shooting midair in DB and it’s rarely a good idea to do so (although the very first shot with some weapons has decent accuracy midair, but after that the recoil will kick wildly in random directions and the spread will build up really fast).

(poiSon-) #4

I don’t see the problem in bunny hopping, if you can’t take out the target hopping around then you only have yourself to blame. There is a predictable pattern against those types of people, just constantly trace the target. Always remain calm when you’re up close against a proxy with a shotgun bunny hopping (I assume that’s why you made this post). Back away constantly. That’s how you deal with people that abuses something, play specifically against what they’re doing. Adapt to it, and it wont be a problem.

(Glottis-3D) #5

actually there is a problem with bunny hopping, when there are couple of walls there, and the guy rapidly spams walljumps and can do so forever without significant penalty.

(poiSon-) #6

It’s still your fault if you cannot kill the individual. It’s not a problem, if you can’t deal with the fast-paced action and bunny hopping, then I don’t know what to say considering that’s what makes Dirty Bomb the nice gem fps. Doesn’t hold your hand, all down to you. If you can’t hit them then use a merc with splash damage (grenades etc.) or a shotgun. Seriously, I don’t understand why there are complaints about this, get used to it.

There still is a consistent pattern when they bounce around from a couple of walls btw.

(Glottis-3D) #7

you do not undestand what a balanced gameplay is, do you?
i can cope with anything, trust me, i played this game in the times when it had instakilling molotovs and jump sniping and lots more. But i want this game to be balanced, and any unbalanced elements, that can be abused is enemy of this game.
And mindless spam that does give advantage without much penalty is an unbalanced element, that should be tweaked. But continue to value yourself as a great walljumptracker. I am here to post about what can make DB better, not talking about your or my skill.

(Ads913) #8

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;562492]you do not undestand what a balanced gameplay is, do you?
i can cope with anything, trust me, i played this game in the times when it had instakilling molotovs and jump sniping and lots more. But i want this game to be balanced, and any unbalanced elements, that can be abused is enemy of this game.
And mindless spam that does give advantage without much penalty is an unbalanced element, that should be tweaked. But continue to value yourself as a great walljumptracker. I am here to post about what can make DB better, not talking about your or my skill.[/QUOTE]

I find a lot of people who historically played ET games tend to strafe to the extent it could be classed as bunny hopping. This bunny hopping theme i am sure comes from people who play games like Battlefield,COD they wish for the individual to “stay still while i am shooting you”.Erm if you can do the same movements as the individuals can its a level playing field that’s not unbalanced .

(ostmustis) #9

Imo its that you move so much so fast in the vertical direction in cqc that its hard to track and impossible(?) to track headshots on the one jumping while not nearly as imparing for the one who jumps. Add to this that some weapons only need to be on target “once or twice per second”, some weapons have spread to spare for jumping around and the sg not even needing to headshot. So it affect different weapons differently and also the players (jumper vs not jumping) differently.

idk I think its fun to jump and shoot but in some settings it feels like it favours you too much for doing it but I see no good solution to it either.

(Glottis-3D) #10

and lets not forget, that crouch spam(and ADAD spam) was nerfed at very early stages for exactly same reasons: it is a bad gameplay design. ofc anyone can do it, but it doesnt make it a good thing. otherwise lets go back to wallrunning in Doom and infinite aircontrol in quake1.
and crouch spam (and ADAD spam to a bit lesser extent) imho gave much less advantage (headshot dodge versus penalty - because in crouch spawm you almost stood still unlike crazy walljumping symphony that Aura or Proxy can do)

(poiSon-) #11

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;562492]you do not undestand what a balanced gameplay is, do you?
And mindless spam that does give advantage without much penalty is an unbalanced element, that should be tweaked. But continue to value yourself as a great walljumptracker. I am here to post about what can make DB better, not talking about your or my skill.[/QUOTE]

Oh I do understand what balanced gameplay is. I believe you don’t understand the actual aim of the game (gameplay wise what the devs are trying to achieve). If you can cope with anything then why are you suggesting this? Clearly, you’re not the only one that can cope with anything. Noobs will be noobs for a while, then they get experienced and that “bunny-hopping” problem that they once had will no longer be an issue for them. That mindless spam that gives an advantage is no longer that. The game should reward the player for adapting to stuff like this, it makes the player feel a whole lot better.

By the way, if both players have access to it then it’s a level playing field, all you need is a jump key bind. Sure it may not be a “good thing”, but it’s balanced that way.

Just so you know: Overpowered (often abbreviated to OP) is a common term referring to a perceived lack of game balance. It is often used when describing a specific class in an RPG, a specific faction in strategic games, or a specific tactic, ability, weapon or unit in various games. For something to be deemed overpowered, it is either the best choice in a disproportionate number of situations (marginalising other choices) and/or excessively hard to counter by the opponent compared to the effort required to use it.

Is bunny-hopping hard to counter? 'Cus I can do it, you can do it, a lot of other players can counter it, seriously I don’t understand what is the issue. Use your brain, if you can’t hit the target use something else that makes that aiming part easier for you. Re-position if you can’t handle the jump spam, go out in the open where there are barely any walls.

And don’t forget, this is a game that focuses on teamwork. If you can’t handle the problem yourself then get a team-mate to back you up. Get used to it.

(Glottis-3D) #12

I guess we’ll agree to disagree :slight_smile: