Execution: Making Ability Use More Meaningful

(DarkangelUK) #1

So currently Execution feels like a bit of a spam fest, little thought is put into when and where to use abilities because you’ll be able to use them again soon enough, so I got to thinking of how they can be more meaningful in the mode so I got the idea of single use abilities per round.

Basically some abilities would have a single use meaning you have to pick and choose the best time to use it because its the only time you can, for example:

Stokers molotov, Thunders flashbang, Skyhammers airstrike, Kira’s laser, Redyeyes smoke, all one time use per round then it’s gone. Rather than relying on spam, you need to be tactful with your use.

Deployables: Ammo stations, Aura’s healing station, Bush’s turret. If you want to re-deploy elsewhere you need to go pick it up and bring it with you and drop it somewhere else. If it gets destroyed then you lose it, so you need to be tactful with placement as well

Proxy’s mines, she gets her usual two, however if she wants to move them elsewhere then she needs to pick up the unexploded one and plant it somewhere else, if they explode or get destroyed then thats them gone. Same with Fletchers stickies, 3 and gone.

Sparks gets 6 health packs and Saw gets 3, if they’re not picked up and you want to use them again then go get them. Do you want to waste a whole pack topping up 20hp on someone or wait till they’re lower to use? Obviously paddles and revivr will be unlimited use.

Heartbeat sensor and snitch, again you need to go collect it to use again, but since they’re easily destroyed I’d allow them 2 for example.

It would give far more importance on the use of abilities and add a more tactical emphasis on the mode per round rather than all out spam at the beginning. Obviously this is aimed at any players that play the mode.

(light_sh4v0r) #2

Sounds reasonable. I don’t play a lot of Execution though.
3 Sawbonez packs doesn’t sound like much.

Pickup mechanics will have to be implemented for the medpacks and heartbeat sensor.
(I wouldn’t mind those anyway, especially the HB sensor.)

(KeMoN) #3

I usually avoid Execution as well, but the concept sounds solid to me.
Removing cooldown for deployables is very nice in my opinion. You have one set of your deployables and you need to manage those with proper placement and reclaiming. This is a fairly solid change, however in regards to other abilities this could become a bit random.
Med-packs/Ammo-packs can also be picked up by the other team if spammed carelessly around, so I wouldn’t worry about support abilities too much. But what about Phoenix? How many iterations of Healing Pulses can he cast? One seems too little, but any other number feels a bit random.

In regards to spotting devices, I feel like they should act like deployables in this case. If you only have one, then they should last forever, unless they are destroyed or reclaimed. I’m not really sure where Phantom would fit in. One time use of the Cloaking Device feels like a one time use of the Healing Pulse, a bit too little.

Limiting all AoE damage abilities (including Smoke and IR Goggles) to 1 set, seems okay to me.

Like you said, this makes Execution, at least in theory, more tactical and less spammy. However, I don’t play this gamemode, so my comments should probably be handled with caution.^^

(light_sh4v0r) #4

Just thought of something:
If we can get tk-revives, noone needs medpacks or healing pulses etc…
FF please :slight_smile:

(DarkangelUK) #5

Adding in team damage would curb the spam even more, but we can’t have players having to think too much now can we? :wink:

(Dysfnal) #6

How about all abilities start the round with their cooldowns on? For instance you couldn’t use your Molotov until you’re 40 seconds into the round. This does seem a bit excessive to me, so how about half your cooldowns? That should make it much less ‘spammy’

(Indefinite) #7

I like the idea of starting on cooldown much more than creating an entire set of quantities and mechanics that will need balancing separate from the rest of the main game.

(bontsa) #8

What I think Execution lacks is indeed the ability implementation, but also the fact nothing carries over between the rounds.

What makes roundbased format interesting in CS is economy, money on the line. It can be actually beneficial for that one person to stay alive when everyone else is dead and bomb is already beyond defusal, because they might have a hefty costing sniper rifle to save for instance. This makes it interesting, exciting even at times to spectate them, instead of what we have now where we hope round is over soon so we can have yet another completely same boring round again.

These ideas thrown here bring something on the table for that, I’d be all up for testing those. Maybe add in to the latter idea, that the cooldown carries over to next round. In the idea of simply beginning without the ability, if you use i.e. airstrike at when theres 30 seconds left of the round, you start next round with 30 seconds less cooldown on it. Sure this doesnt exactly fit DaUKs idea unless there was some kind of economy involved but that sounds a bit unfitting for DB.