Grass in RTCW

(wolfETplayer) #1

So I need to put some grass in my RTCW SP map. But it seems there is no foliage system like in ET. Is it possible to somehow port this from ET to RTCW? If its including editing the source code, then im out. In this case, maybe there is some alpha textures of grass or maybe models of grass?

(ronboy) #2

Hello, WolfETPlayer. What type of grass do you want? Are you referring to a texture on the ground, or tall grass like in the ET map called radar?

(wolfETplayer) #3

I mean tall grass like in ET.

(ronboy) #4

There is a model for tall grass, but it wouldn’t look as nice as the tall grass in ET. You can find it on the folder models/mapobjects/tree.

(wolfETplayer) #5

Too bad. Well, anyway it is better than nothing I guess. Thanks for the response!

(KeMoN) #6

You are indeed correct. The foliage system or rather the q3map_foliage shader compile parameter has been introduced in W:ET and therefore is not present in RtCW.

1. Manual placement
    You do have the possibility to use the grass models and place them by hand, however depending on the area you want to cover, this will take a lot of time. Also the models placed automatically with q3map_foliage disappear in the distance to keep the impact on FPS relatively small. If you place them manually they will be drawn / rendered at all times when they are in the line of sight and therefore will reduce your FPS depending on the amount of models and view distance. If you want to place them manually, then I recommend using Rayban’s foliage models. Have a look at this site and search for ‘foliage example

2. ‘Fur’ technology
    You have the possibility to use the q3map_fur shader compile parameter. It was used in paZur’s Natterbase. You can find some information here, but reading the manual at robotrenegade will probably be your best bet.

I hope that helped.

(wolfETplayer) #7

[QUOTE=KeMoN;553778]You are indeed correct. The foliage system or rather the q3map_foliage shader compile parameter has been introduced in W:ET and therefore is not present in RtCW.

1. Manual placement
    You do have the possibility to use the grass models and place them by hand, however depending on the area you want to cover, this will take a lot of time. Also the models placed automatically with q3map_foliage disappear in the distance to keep the impact on FPS relatively small. If you place them manually they will be drawn / rendered at all times when they are in the line of sight and therefore will reduce your FPS depending on the amount of models and view distance. If you want to place them manually, then I recommend using Rayban’s foliage models. Have a look at this site and search for ‘foliage example

2. ‘Fur’ technology
    You have the possibility to use the q3map_fur shader compile parameter. It was used in paZur’s Natterbase. You can find some information here, but reading the manual at robotrenegade will probably be your best bet.

I hope that helped.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!I will look into this.

(ronboy) #8

[QUOTE=KeMoN;553778]You are indeed correct. The foliage system or rather the q3map_foliage shader compile parameter has been introduced in W:ET and therefore is not present in RtCW.

1. Manual placement

2. ‘Fur’ technology

I hope that helped.[/QUOTE]

So, there’s some workarounds for the absence of a built-in foliage system for Rtcw? That’s interesting; I didn’t know this information. Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile: