New Merc idea - Easy to implement

(AssortedStuff) #1

I had this idea occur to me a few weeks ago.
I never played Overwatch but today I watched a video of it, and they have a character doing what I was going to propose* (which prompted me to finally start this thread).

Since SD is a busy studio, ideally new stuff should be easy to implement (“time is money”, etc…)
So I was playing KIRA at some point and I thought it would be a good idea to get part of the laser beam mechanic and reuse it.
You would point at a spot, wait for a moment and then (instead of a laser beam) you would TELEPORT.

Perhaps the more time consuming would be doing the 3D model, and even that could be “recycled” (such as it is the case of Fragger/Thunder).
Areas where players could/couldn’t teleport would have to be assigned.
And perhaps adding some visual and audible cues to teleport origin and/or endpoints:

• endpoints:so that adversaries wouldn’t be caught up completely unaware
  • origin: maybe to ‘disrupt’ adversaries if escaping
    (Fragger grenades have visual cues and Phantom has audible cues)

Not sure what the 2nd ability could be.
Perhaps a “panic button”, which would teleport you back to your spawn point.
Or maybe not have one, as some mercs don’t.

I’m sure a teleport ability must have been something a few people have thought of before but I’m hoping the idea of reusing Kira’s laser beam mechanic makes it a viable candidate for implementation, as I’d love to not only have new maps but also new mercs in the future of Dirty Bomb.

* the character I’m referring to is Reaper

(Szakalot) #2

doesnt really sound that easy to implement. or that exciting tbh, imo game too fast for a single merc relying on just teleport

Not a fan of magic in first person shooters…

(AssortedStuff) #4

Me neither

…or at least we might like to think we don’t. Because Aura’s health station, Sparks revive gun, Phoenix healing pulse, Phantom refractive armour and Aimee’s neural disruptor (from the Snitch device) could all be put in that category.
I think it depends how a product is packaged (marketing), if it involves runes and spells it’s out of place but if it’s science fiction it might not.

(light_sh4v0r) #5

Unreal Tournament has a teleporter beacon that you could shoot somewhere and teleport to it’s location.
Could work, but I don’t really see it working very well in DB. The amount of posibilities to go out of bounds is probably huge.

(KeMoN) #6

I also think a teleporter is too science-fictiony/magical for DB, but you could slightly alter your concept and use some sort of climbing hook?
That way the reds see the flying hook, which essentially looks somewhat like the Snitch device when flying and are warned of upcoming arrival.
The player also has to have line of sight, which imo makes it less powerful. A completely different option would simply be a ‘Flash’ forward like in League of Legends for example.

The problem is that teleporting isn’t really much of a team-ability and therefore this merc will fall into the same category as Phantom. (By the way please seperate EMP from the cloak or remove the EMP again).
In my opinion though it would be very interesting to officially open up this Merc class and promote it as a viable option.
4 Medics - Aura, Phoenix, Sawbonez, Sparks
3/4 Engineers - Bushwacker, Fletcher, Proxy, I[/I]
4 Field Ops - Arty, Kira, Skyhammer, Stoker
3/4 Snipers - Aimee, Redeye, Vassili, I[/I]
3 Assault - Fragger, Nader, Thunder
1/2 Tanks - Rhino, (another Tank would be nice, maybe a Flamethrower as tribute to your past with W:ET?)
2 Flanks - Phantom, Teleporter

(fzl) #7

btw … when its “Turtle” Time?

and why not a “Panzerfaust” as 4 Assault?

btw Teleporting Merc in Dirty Bomb ?..not really guys…

(BomBaKlaK) #8

Teleport ? No thanks !

(ifreborn) #9

when does the panzer get released?