Where ist this game going?

(neg0ne) #1

Hey SD ( if anyone from SD reads this stuff anyway )

where is DB going from here?

You started with very high and good claims. DB should become a dignified sucseesor of ET and ETQW as a real teambased objective Shooter with this great SD-Style-Gameplay.

It became a marketplace for cheap trinklets and fancy outfits while the core elements of the game are lacking and dont get any attention or improvements. ( not even talking about maps and stuff) The discussions in the Forums are mostly about minor matters like color of loadouts, shininess of stupid little bull**** on your weapon, trading and side elements of the game but not about the things that will make this game fail… the core elements and team support…

Or – and thats my question – did you already give up on the game? Will it be a neverending beta with useless bull**** sellouts, a capitulation on the finish line ?

I dont rant, i just want a hint, if this game is goint to be mainly about trinklets and loadouds while the game itself is just a mecanic to get those or if you are still working on what you said you want to accomplish.

Dont get me wrong: its ok, if you have to make money and maybe run out of ressources to finish this project and so changed the path. I just would like to get a hint where this is going, because the team support and some core elements of this game still suck.
It might have been the worst decision ever to make this game F2P due to the need of selling cosmetics to get the bucks, but i still see a chance that this game gets finished the way it was supposed to be.
Only … i dont see any intensions from SD to do so.

There are other games coming out that do way better in team support, bug fixing, and almost everything … exept the objective teambased gameplay.
So – from the perspective of a team of players - is it worth to stick with DB hoping you get the priorities right or time to move on and hope other developers integrate more objectivestyle gameplay in their coming titles??

(Exedore) #2

So here’s the thinger that I wrote at the end of last year: http://dirtybomb.nexon.net/news/5678/playing-dirty-in-2015. Those priorities haven’t really changed all that much.

SD has a company mission statement that reads like this:

Why do we exist?
We create lifelong friendships by making blockbuster multiplayer combat games that champion team-play.

It’s how the studio was born, and it’s what’s carried us through the ups and downs of nearly 15 years of making games. I also see this as the core of what DB is and what it needs to aspire to. Being F2P does mean that we have to balance that vision alongside keeping the game running, but the why is the most important thing, and it’s what we’re going to keep working towards.

(Glottis-3D) #3

Good question, AND a good answer.

(rookie1) #4

In conclusion …
2016 = the same as 2015 than …
we go into “The uncharted territory” wich means “We dont know” :stuck_out_tongue:

(neg0ne) #5

Being F2P does mean that we have to balance that vision alongside keeping the game running, but the why is the most important thing, and it’s what we’re going to keep working towards

THX for the quick answer. Thats exactly what i was hoping to hear.
its obvious that you have to get some bucks together and with F2P trinklets and cosmetics are the way to go, but plz dont be late on the priorities. Would be a shame if this awsome game gets finished but all the core community is gone.

(phila_delphia) #6

[QUOTE=Exedore;552575]Why do we exist?
We create lifelong friendships by making blockbuster multiplayer combat games that champion team-play.[/QUOTE]

First of all I want to thank you, Exedore, for your answer. I am a huge fan of the core gameplay SD tries to deiver in their games. Its not the usual "bang-youre-dead-we-won-crap", but all about teamplay and objectives, that can be achieved only by a coordinated team.

Still I have to stress what neg0ne asked for: What about community and core gameplay options? As leader of a german DB clan I have to tell you that we had about 35 members in three squads, that had great fun playing this game until the limitations of your support got in the way:

How is one expectetd to train appropriately without beeing in control of a server. No map restart, no swithing teams in the fly (for balance) not restarting a single opbject… For some time we had the chance to use a Dirty Cups Server until this possibility diesd away with the Dirty Cups. Not long after you paused the competitive 5 on 5 matchmaking forcing us to pub… for months… an cost us about 2/3 of our members who meanwhile want to play other shooters with dedicated servers and better clan functions. Hell we`d even rent a server if it was possible…

Meanwhile the interest in the DB Nation Cups as well seems to die down. And I am afraid that in the end DB will go the same way BRINK did. It “died away right underneath my ass”. I`d be really sorry as unfortunately no one besides you really does objective based team shooters. Even Overwatch, which is not a bad game alltogether does not inspire me as DB does - as it has no objective that only a certain class can achive (faster/better).

Still. If you only focus on freakin costumes of the mercs the people won`t stay with you. Hell if I had not stopped to open the crates I´d be starving in rubbish. I even set up a new account because I can not stand those bazillion loadout cards. At least give us the oppertunity to trash them…

Best regards

phila

(Exedore) #7

It sounds like you’re wanting specificity that I can’t give you yet, because while many of the things you’ve mentioned are on our roadmap, they’re a bit too far out to substantively talk about them. Casual Matchmaking and partying up for regular play is our main focus at the moment, and we’ll be talking about that much more soon™.
I understand that the pace of development can be frustrating, but I have to hope that it’s a case of the tortoise versus the hare. The goal at any given time is to make the choice that puts us in the best stead for achieving the game’s mission, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

And I am afraid that in the end DB will go the same way BRINK did.

Everything comes to an end eventually, but the realities of Brink and DB are so fundamentally different that honestly I find it difficult to draw comparisons.

(phila_delphia) #8

Let me be clear: Id love to see DB becoming a huge success for SD. And Id be happy if this game will get a broad an longlasting fanbase.

Ru$H has allways played SD titles: ET / ETQW / BRINK and now DB. We have never been not top level competitive but allways liked the “clan war style” and we`d love to do that again. In this terms I would call us part of a fan base that will support DB until the very end - hopefully a long distance of(pathetic but not so untrue).

Seeing, that you (have to?!) care about crap like “trinkets” and “cosutmes” and doing “tripple credit all off” sellouts in your shop, really hurts. I understand know, is very important to you as raising funds will bet you payed. On the other hand - imho - this crap does not hept to build a true and lasting community.

I`d love to see us playing DB for a long time to come - and I hope, that you DO give us the posibillity to do so and wont force us to neither pub (where clanesrs are called “stackers”) nor to cue in in ranked forever.

All the best to you!

phila

(Leki) #9

[QUOTE=Exedore;552575]So here’s the thinger that I wrote at the end of last year: http://dirtybomb.nexon.net/news/5678/playing-dirty-in-2015. Those priorities haven’t really changed all that much.
[/QUOTE]

“better demo functionality” …do we currently have any way to access the demo’s/replays from the servers? If not is there any update on when this functionality will be coming?

(ifreborn) #10

so when does the rtcw:et mod hit?