Navigation Issues ... names for locations

(eitsch0r) #1

Hi all,

i play pubs very often and would like to be able to communicate locations on maps via textchat. Hell it would ofc also be useful in voicechat. It’s like SoftwareDesignPatterns. You need a name for something complex so you are able to transport the context easily.

See this idea for CS presented on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/24ope9/does_anyone_else_think_that_the_loading_screens/ (Location Names in Loading-Screen … would make this thing even useful, instead of only being decorative)

Is there already an accessible webpage (not some clan-internal forum) where someone has made up screenshots of maps overlayed with colored 2D-shapes with names for locations? Is it even possible to get this kind of “map-layout-screenshots”? Wouldn’t it be great if the greatestest map-artists of all of SD would include this kind of artwork into their definition-of-done?

This is - after i started juggling the experiences from past games in my mind - such a crucial thing which also should be included ingame, too. Abbreviated Locations in front of textchat? Smth. like that.

Just make them easily pronounce-/writeable … so that you do not break your fingers/tongue while trying to communicate quickly.

Just my 2 cents,
H

(Rémy Cabresin) #2

Places have names, under the minimap it says the location you are currently in. However in comp play we just call things based on what they are or landmarks. That varies from team to team f.e in sick6 there are a few spots we call “gay corner” and whenever I play with non sick6 people and I call that they have no clue what I mean :p.

Most things are similar tho, things like "Yellow"on CW is just the yellow walled hallway. “Yellow” on Terminal is the corner at plant with the yellow walls. “Yellow” on Brige is the little bridge with yellow walls on middle stage etc. There is no 100% universal callout system, likely never will be. Easiest thing is to just make stuff up as you go that short and understandable in max 2 words.

dman made this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=475545482 quite a while ago. Think these names were really mostly used in Australian scene tho, there are a lot of them on here that I’ve never heard anyone say in EU/NA :smiley:

(eitsch0r) #3

+1 for constructive input \o/ thank you!

Some short replies to your mentioned points:

Your description of “finding names in a team” (that might be just that: “your teams” patterns) recalls memories … and makes me better understand what my intention for posting was.

Your linked resource (dman’s work) is indeed very interesting in giving pointers how to name stuff when i want to type/say it. Thank you once more for pointing to something. Constructive indeed! Also made my understanding of what i wanted to achieve with my post more clear.

Actually my initial stimulus to post was something more “abstract” … i was thinking of something which does not try to name every tree/car/walkway, but instead tries to “name areas”. My first reaction to these - very fine - callout-maps was like “uh, wtf so much yellow. i can’t see the map behind all this text and arrows”.

The most important influence should be that noobs … or “fresh players” … or anyone not considering himself experienced … you get whom i am talking about (I am one of these too) is able to recognize what the hell “they are talking about” when someone uses “navigational terms”.

Actually i would like it propably best when these “abstract area names” would be a by-product of the map-design-process and would find their way into some loading-screens or other SD-made artistic-by-product.

But if that cannot happen, then maybe it might be a thing to be handled by some community-(manager?)-effort. Who knows.

I just thought it would be a good thing to mention as it would help freshlings to coordinate better while trying to play as a team. That this works in already established teams, i would actually kind of take as a given.

But that should not take anything away from your reply, i am happy to have gotten one :slight_smile: \o/

greetz
H