Next map project

(Teuthis) #1

Since teutoburg_forest is 99% done and will be out quite soon I struggle with some options of the next map project.

In detail, I have the following options:

-1.) a remake of teuthonia. Basically kinda half the old map and half a new map with new roads now open, new ways the tank has to go and basically a new village. Objectives remain stealing gold from a bank

-2.) a remake of siwa teuthonia. The scond part of the map can substantially be improved and I now got some distance from the map so that I could touch it again

-3.) port_teuthonia as the third episode of the story.

-4.) a pirates style map entitled Tortuga. This will be a joint project with Thunder

(Teuthis) #2

Looks like port_teuthonia and Tortuga will then be next on the list. For both I have some great ideas. Will make them with a lot of randomness so that certain things are always different when the map is played.

(-SSF-Sage) #3

The Tortuga seems like too good idea to ignore! :tongue:

Out of curiosity what kind of randomness are we talking about? I know the possibilities script wise, but how would they turn into a map? Like placement of props or something other mystical?

Ps. keep in mind with randomising you need tons of script and entities, that are going to have a major hit on FPS if over used. Especially keep a close look at the entity count. You can see the count with /entitylist. Too much entities is gonna make the map lag easily.

(Teuthis) #4

@Sage what I have in mind is something building up on a prefab I recently made (see link below). In Detail, imagine the allies are spawning in a closed Yard comprising let’s say 10 houses. Now you have ship in the Harbor that randomly when triggered fires a Canon (just as in my prefab below). Then depending on the Canon some randomly selected houses collapse and open the way for the allies to go from Spawn A to area B. since you have 9 Canons and every Canon opens another way, the map will always be slighty different. Can’t be to substantial the randomness, just to add some more realistic Flair. If you have 3 random Events in your map, you have a lot of different ways the map can be when played. keeps the fun up (I hope) :slight_smile:

that’s very basically what I have in mind. You are correct that we Need to Keep an eye on the entities. but I am optimistic this will be doable without any cut in Quality or FPS

(-SSF-Sage) #5

[QUOTE=Teuthis;544168]@Sage what I have in mind is something building up on a prefab I recently made (see link below). In Detail, imagine the allies are spawning in a closed Yard comprising let’s say 10 houses. Now you have ship in the Harbor that randomly when triggered fires a Canon (just as in my prefab below). Then depending on the Canon some randomly selected houses collapse and open the way for the allies to go from Spawn A to area B. since you have 9 Canons and every Canon opens another way, the map will always be slighty different. Can’t be to substantial the randomness, just to add some more realistic Flair. If you have 3 random Events in your map, you have a lot of different ways the map can be when played. keeps the fun up (I hope) :slight_smile:

that’s very basically what I have in mind. You are correct that we Need to Keep an eye on the entities. but I am optimistic this will be doable without any cut in Quality or FPS

http://www.thewolfteam.org/cmdownloads/random-effects/[/QUOTE]

Ah this is an excellent idea! Did not think about you would blow the houses (which is awsome enough already).

(Teuthis) #6

Thanks. I have some other interesting ideas of how to use this randomness but the thing with the canons that open certain ways are one aspect. Also spawn points can be set to be activated randomly. But this has to be used very smart or the gameplay will be ruined.

(SiNRay) #7

Peronally I would like to see the following:
3.) port_teuthonia as the third episode of the story.

4.) pirates style map entitled Tortuga. This will be a joint project with Thunder

Defenatly a third map of the Teuthonia series. :slight_smile:

And a Pirate map is always nice. :wink:

(Teuthis) #8

I can promise that both maps will apear. How it looks currently is that port_teuthonia will come first :slight_smile: primarily because thunder is working on some own projects right now