Something feels really wrong with the ranking

(Arslet) #1

I´m not the one to complain or even write on forums but this seems like an legit issue to raise. Yes i know the game is in beta but as SD has announced the ranking will become a more importent part of the game with implementing seasons etc etc.

So this is my experience a few nights ago when I soloqueued for some ranked matches.

1st Entered game, lost one player in team. Lost game. lost rank - why punished when game is not fair?
2nd Same thing lost player so 4vs5 lost game, lost rank. Why punished when game is not fair?
3rd Exactly same thing. Why punished when game is not fair?
4th. Completed a full game with 5vs5, we won. But game crashed at a few seconds before the “WON” sign. Lost rank. What the…
5th Entered game, lost 2 players in team. Lost game. lost rank - why punished when game is not fair?
Almost gave up. played one more
6th. Completed a full game with 5vs5, lost… thats ok.

Stopped playing. So the big question is. Why would you be punished with loosing rank if your team looses a player or 2? Sure you could finish it but all ranked stuff should then be removed for both teams. And/or just punish the guy who leaves.

Whats your opinion on this?

PS. Apologies for spelling errors.

(Mustang) #2

Hmm, you should be able to leave 5 minutes after someone else leaves and not incur a loss, and the same should be true if you choose to stay but lose 4vs5, you shouldn’t lose any rank, at least this is what we were told, but it hasn’t been possible to test until recently after the rank progress bar was added.

However regarding the one where you crashed, whilst annoying, there isn’t much that can be done about it, because the server doesn’t know if you’ve crashed or just decided to leave.

(Arslet) #3

To clarify, i went from gold 4 to silver 5 during this period.

(Mustang) #4

You dropped 6 ranks in 6 games, wow, normally it takes way longer.

(Arslet) #5

Maybe mixing up the numbers here abit :slight_smile: but still from gold to silver in rank.

(poiuasd) #6

“Why punished when the game is not fair?”
If a leaver would make the match not count in rankings, people would be abusing it to never lose points by having a player in their team conveniently “crash” if the match looked like they’re not gonna win it.

(Arslet) #7

[QUOTE=poiuasd;543522]“Why punished when the game is not fair?”
If a leaver would make the match not count in rankings, people would be abusing it to never lose points by having a player in their team conveniently “crash” if the match looked like they’re not gonna win it.[/QUOTE]

You have a point sir/mam, this might be a problem. Do people abuse games like that? :stuck_out_tongue: So how do we solve this? Just punish the “leaver” really hard so he won’t leave. But then we have the crash issue… Anyway this was a big frustration this evening and i just wanted to raise the issue.

(ZGToRRent) #8

Not anymore…

(Mustang) #9

I don’t recall this being announced anywhere, so if what you say is true then it should be a bug.

Not incur a penalty*, it still counts as a loss and you lose MMR.

(Mustang) #11

I know what the text says, I’m going off a conversation I had with the SD a while back.

(Smooth) #12

The match result will still count even if a player on your team abandons, otherwise it’s simply not fair on the other team.

The ‘without penalty’ part simply means you wont have any matchmaking penalties for leaving.

We are planning on making the leaving penalties a little more severe in the future.

(BomBaKlaK) #13

Not enough people to play MM for the moment … need to wait at least 20 min to find a match.

(Mustang) #14

Interesting, the way I understood it was the team without leavers would still get a win, but the team with leavers wouldn’t get a loss, sounds like that’s not the case then, oh well too bad.

(Smooth) #15

If that was the case, losing teams would generally have a single player ‘take one for the team’ to avoid a loss.

Additionally it would result in an inflation in skill ratings, which is bad for the Elo system.

(DB Genome editor) #16

While that make sense for pre-made teams, it doesn’t help at all in the case of random solos being thrown together. In a pre-made team, if someone bails out he/she better have a damn good reason to, unless the whole team has already given up. Either way a loss for everyone is fair. But in a solo match-up, getting punished for a jerk move done by someone you don’t even know is pretty frustrating.

Seems to me like one more indication that you can’t threat pre-made teams the same as solos.

(Apples) #17

This this and this again, the whole competition point to me is to have a team / clan and play vs other teams / clans, solo players = pub play, even if they are good and maybe a bit more dedicated playing “ranked”, it’ll simply never be the same.

(Szakalot) #18

this poston nexon forums inspired me to right about my recent MM experiences:

I thought I’d finally give MM another chance, seeing as it finally has FF-on by default, and I haven’t played MM since the trinket hunt started either.

Out of 7 games:

• 2 were easy stomps, with everyone on the server wayy below my skill level (had triple+ the frags of my whole team combined, in BOTH games)

• 3 times I encountered the same premade of 5, they had 2 decent/good players, and 3 what i’d consider average minlvl10 player (so low/mid). The 3 games varied from getting stomped to an almost close game (opponent clearly better, but we made solid pushes). Unfortunately, in all 3 games a teammate QQ left at some point making an impossible 4v5. Oh, and a security violation in the middle of the game for both me and one opponent.

• 1 game was going to be balanced, but a teammate left and 4v5 was too much too handle.

• 1 game was absolutely bizarre, players on my team looked like they didn’t know the maps (running around the generator on last bridge stage), overall everyone was playing very poorly and times were sth like 5 and 4min each.

• I heard two players state that its their first time in MM, their lack of any knowledge and no consideration for friendly fire supports their statement. Another player said it was their 2nd MM game.

Conclusions:

• FF-on is great and game finally feels like a proper match

• 4 games were tipped by a player leaving. Leaver punishments need to get A LOT harsher, if someone consistently leaves they should be banned from the whole MM season. Assuming security violation false positives get fixed, ofc. If someone’s internet connection isnt stable enough to warrant a single SW game, they shouldn’t be able to queue for matchmaking either. Single leaver screws up a game for 9 other people, and it happens ALL THE TIME.

• Fighting against premades as a soloqueue is silly. I even got invites from the opponents after the 1st game, who hoped I’d joined them to stomp more noobs as they are farming ranks.

• As an (imo) underrated cobalt3 playing against/with players who only just started their MM experience, is silly. No fun for me to stomp through clueless opponents, no fun for them to get stomped by a seemingly unbeatable fletcher spam. Hackussations and toxicity follow.

I’ll stay off MM until these balance issues are fixed, or I’m going to drop back to gold by hopelessly tryharding & carrying awful players. And again, soloqueue would likely solve it all.

(Glottis-3D) #19

i think i need to also start playing MM again, just to easy stomp Szakalot a little bit… ^____^

(Szakalot) #20

missed your window; not touching it until end of preseason : P