The Mystery Of Thread Sync ON/OFF

(PixelTwitch) #1

So I did a little testing on a couple of computers tonight and found that Thread Sync is a little odd. I mean, sure it works as intended but I feel for the vast majority of players, it would be safer if you restrict its use a little.

In my testing I found that the input lag reduction was simply happening when switching between on and off when you have an unlocked frame rate. The extra frames actually compensated for the entirety of the input lag as in most places framerates where both MORE STABLE and on Average 2x the setting off.

This means, the only time you would want this feature turned on is when you have limited your framerate or you hold 200ish FPS with it turned on. Since I don’t think anyone is able to achieve that anymore due to config restrictions and poor optimization, I honestly believe the setting should be restricted unless certain criteria are met in the options menu. Only allow the option to be toggled when a frame lock is in place via Vsync or Smooth Frame Rate. This would remove an awful lot of confusion and prevent people from making mistakes with the options. Sure power users could still change it via configs but generally people wont be making as many mistakes with it.

TLDR: Thread Sync only really benefits users that have a locked frame rate that they are able to reach. Using Thread Sync when not locking frame rates almost always ends up as a negative due to the reduced frame time of higher fps.

(alphabeta) #2

I am not as sophisticated with all the details but I can tell you my FPS (with computer config below) was 40-50 with threadsync off, and 250 FPS with it on. I have 144hz refresh monitor and framerate unlocked.

(PixelTwitch) #3

Then having it “off” is the right thing for you :slight_smile:

The difference is what I am saying. Technically having it “off” adds input lag but no where near the amount of input lag you save/reduce by having such a high frame rate. Plus you get the added smoothness :slight_smile:

(fubar) #4

What dream world do you live in, I can’t even reach my frame lock of 150 with thread sync off :frowning:

(Rémy Cabresin) #5

Inb4 60fps cap