Question to Smooth regarding rank reset

(ZGToRRent) #1

Hello, Is it true that everyone will start season 1 being unranked? In my opinion it’s terrible idea because it forces to unbalanced matches even more.

Good suggestion: Just dropdown everyone by 2 leagues so elites will start on gold, cobalts on silver etc.

(Mustang) #2

The way it was explained to me is that you won’t be completely reset back to zero, but rather everyone will be squished (i.e. ranks lowered by some percentage), this way you’ll still be fighting against the same sort of people as before, but still have to do some work to achieve or surpass the rank you had previously, basically similar to what you said about dropping people by a couple of ranks.

I know Raziel said on stream that everyone would be reset, so either plans have changed, or she didn’t quite interpret the message correctly. To be honest plans might have actually changed in that they’re tweaking the algorithm for determining and moving between ranks, so this may necessitate a complete reset this time, but in future we may be able to just do the squidge.

However whichever option they do I expect you’ll still have to do the “first 10 games are unranked” thing again, just so the system has a chance to confirm or adjust your entry rank as required.

(Glottis-3D) #3

so it is not reseting to zero, but rather getting Everyone in closer rank-regions, so that everyone would get more and faster ‘matches’, and thus getting everbody’s rank to progress more correctly.

Since ranking system is self-congruent, when going to the wrong direction it cannot get back on track on its own.

(Smooth) #4

Like Mustang said, we’re planning to do a compression of the Elo rating across the board and also change the Rank brackets so there’s a better spread across them.

In the Pre-Season, players started in Silver 1 and it took, on average, 8-14 Wins to move up a Rank. That’s why no one ever made it as low as Bronze and 90% of players are currently Silver 2 to Gold 4.

In Ranked Season 1, the mid-point where new players come in will be around Silver 5 and, on average, it will take 4-7 Wins to move up a Rank. Meaning that the same 90% will be spread across 9 Ranks, instead of 4 Ranks.

(ZGToRRent) #5

Sounds cool. Thanks for reply :slight_smile:

(DB Genome editor) #6

[QUOTE=Smooth;543020]In the Pre-Season, players started in Silver 1 and it took, on average, 8-14 Wins to move up a Rank. That’s why no one ever made it as low as Bronze and 90% of players are currently Silver 2 to Gold 4.

In Ranked Season 1, the mid-point where new players come in will be around Silver 5 and, on average, it will take 4-7 Wins to move up a Rank. Meaning that the same 90% will be spread across 9 Ranks, instead of 4 Ranks.[/QUOTE]
I have to admit I never paid too much attention to the progression scheme for Ranked, but is it actually based solely on win-lose record? So you could consistently outperform everyone you play with/against and still get demoted? Or conversely do poorly but get carried by your team? Nothing wrong with that if we’re ranking teams, but as a casual who’s likely to play Ranked mainly solo, this doesn’t seem to make much sense for individuals… :frowning:

My only previous experience playing ranked was with Titanfall and your progression was based only on your own performance. There was a small bonus for winning, but if you did well you could still progress with a loss.

(Glottis-3D) #7

[QUOTE=Djiesse;543035]I have to admit I never paid too much attention to the progression scheme for Ranked, but is it actually based solely on win-lose record? So you could consistently outperform everyone you play with/against and still get demoted? Or conversely do poorly but get carried by your team? Nothing wrong with that if we’re ranking teams, but as a casual who’s likely to play Ranked mainly solo, this doesn’t seem to make much sense for individuals… :frowning:

My only previous experience playing ranked was with Titanfall and your progression was based only on your own performance. There was a small bonus for winning, but if you did well you could still progress with a loss.[/QUOTE]

main question is:
do cobalts loose just as much as silvers (when mix of silvers and cobalts looses to any team) ?

i.e. 5 golds won over a team of 4silvers and 1 cobalt. Does cobalt get same minus ELO as Silvers?
Or they all get individual ELO change?

(Mustang) #8

Correct, although it also uses probability, meaning that if you were expected to lose and you do then you would only go down a tiny little bit, whereas if you were expected to lose and you win then you go up a massive amount, and visa-versa if you were expected to win, so in the end it kind of works itself out. Of course as you say it works best if you always play as the same team, but apparently the guys that do this for a living (by which I refer to the professors and research guys that run the numbers on this stuff, rather than SD) say it’s still the best we’ve got for online computer games even if the team composition does vary everytime.

Very good and important question, sadly I can’t remember the answer, although I’m pretty sure it was mentioned in the forum sometime in the last year or so if your search-fu is up to it.

(fubar) #9

Unless it’s been changed a while back I can most definitely say, winning versus players of lower ranks grants you far less “elo” than winning vs players of the same/higher ranks. It took me 80 consecutive wins to reach Elite from Cobalt1 against the majority of players being gold/cobalt3 back then.

(Glottis-3D) #10

that doesnot answer the quiestion whether your teammates got same ELO increase, or their increase depends ON “their ELO/enemy ELO” ratio.
i.e. what count:
team1 ELO / team2 ELO
or Personal ELO / team2 ELO

(fubar) #11

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;543066]that doesnot answer the quiestion whether your teammates got same ELO increase, or their increase depends ON “their ELO/enemy ELO” ratio.
i.e. what count:
team1 ELO / team2 ELO
or Personal ELO / team2 ELO[/QUOTE]

Definitely personal.

(_milla) #12

if ranking promoting/demoting is based on wins/loses only and this depends solely on the team you play with, make one global clan rank where every clan member will share its own rank for the clan.

for example 4 players have gold1, 4 silver ranks, clan rank in total will be gold5 (average) and every clan member will have this global clan rank.
This will motivate low lvl players to be more team oriented and win for the global clan rank to promote.
And it will show global clan performance too.

But this will require one thing. DB need to support clans.