limit a spawn for only a certain number of player

(Teuthis) #1

is it possible to let only a restricted amount of Player spawn at a certain spawn? so that the others are forced to spawn somewhere else?

(stealth6) #2

Only add enough spawnpoints for X amount of players. Add the other ones somewhere else. Example can be seen in Oasis where if there are too many players some will spawn upstairs iirc.

You can test it by running a server with omnibots. Unless you mean a dynamic number.

(KeMoN) #3

If he wants a dynamic amount wouldnt it be also possible to add/remove the respective number of spawnslots through ETPro mapscripting? Only if his mod supports it of course.

(Micha) #4

A lua can do this. Check the axisspawn.lua and folder. The lua let’s you set one spawn for axis, you could rewrite this to count players and change the spawn after x players amount.

(Mateos) #5

There are maps with a single spawn point and everyone spawning on each other :stuck_out_tongue: And when you remove, it’s definitive.

It just requires to place entities where wanted, like some people here and the rest there, as said stealth6.

I believe Teuthis is looking for a mapping trick, and I don’t think he wants to bundle a LUA script made necessary with his map ^^’

(Teuthis) #6

you got me Mateos :slight_smile:

i wanna use this to Balance the game how I think it’ nice. so my question is answered.

thanks guys

(-SSF-Sage) #7

Yes I can confirm this method working, have used it for 7 years. Just add 6 spawnpoints here, but make sure you got the rest 26 or so elsewhere available or players spawn inside each other. I have used it even so that you can have an own WOBJ in both places. If 10 players set WOBJ to that 6 player spot, the rest 4 will just spawn to the further spawn (ofc if only 4 players die in the spawn phase then all get to spawn in it).

Note that the players who cannot fit into that 6 players, will spawn to the CLOSEST available WOBJ location.

(RayBan) #8

I think… there for I am… j/k… Uh… you could have a set amount of spawns in area’s enough for all the players… Just name them ( spawn1, spawn2… ect… ) then if you wanted to allow a certain amount to spawn… say at a forward location, and the rest at a back spawn location… and for example lets say your map only allows 16 spawn points for your team, you then create 16 forward, 16 back… which is double what you need, but you only want 4 players spawning forward, and the other 12 back… you just alert entity 12 spawns at the forward to turn them off… by name… so only 4 can spawn there… since you disabled 12 spawns there… the rest should spawn back… but you would probabIy have to alert entity 4 at the back to turn them off so 4 are forced to spawn forward…I think this is what your asking, and I think it should work… by using alert entity on individual player spawns, you can enable/disable them… at least I would work… it’s been a while…

(-SSF-Sage) #9

You could also just enable them by default and just setstate the spawnpoints. But indeed, you could name each spawn with different name.

(RayBan) #10

If you get my drift… =P this is just for spawns and not flag capture points… although… it might work for that also… forcing spawns… thats what you asked for? I did manage to make a test map for parachute spawns… using an animated parachute… players would spawn in the sky then fly down unharmed from enemy fire… by alertentity’s of their spawns on the modified beach map for et… and after landing on the beach they would be clear to enemy fire… but spawing from the sky came after 5 minutes of play… and it took a mind blowing frustration of making the allied players work to spawn in a box, and the parachute animation to work… while they drifted on the beach… with a whole lot of scripting… but it worked… by just alertentity to open their new spawns up… and do not ask me for the test map… it’s long gone after a drive crash… and now I find it hard to recreate… but it does work… you can control spawn points with scripting… and thinking out of the box… with no lua scripting… just tweaking what you can do with basic et

(Teuthis) #11

Thanks for the heads up. Too bad the file got lost. I managed to make clip box around the spawns. When a player spawns, it falls into the clip box and activates a trigger_multiple which then activates the clib box script mover to slide down plus the parachut (yours actually) to fly down. The only problem I have with this is that the parachut doesn’t attach correct to the clip box. The chute carries a tag but the thing is that the clip box needs a tag where the chute attaches to, not vice versa.

Btw chute. You have seen how beautiful your chute works in siwa_teuthonia? Seriously, this eye candy tripled the value of the map :slight_smile:

(RayBan) #12

It sounds very similar to the way I did it… the trouble was getting the clip box right… The player was protected til they landed. I might still have the file somewhere… Im showing over 1600 test map files… and I really do not want to go through them, only cause I did not name them proper in the 1st place… plus another zip file containing over 600 map files going back to the flower mines and earlier… so Yes… it can be done… chute, eye candy, player spawn, train splines til the player lands… and BAM… axis mg til he’s dead… cause you know he’s gonna land at some point… =P

(Teuthis) #13

Agree 100%, using this effect requires smart mapping if soldiers shall not die like lemmings. However, i have an idea that is worth trying. Here a quick hint. If your allies spawn area is physically disconnected from the acis spawn area (including sky box and everything) and only connected in a way that allies can get from A to B but Axis cannot get from B to A, then you can use the chute spawn without risk :slight_smile:

(Teuthis) #14

As for the chute spawn I think I need to go spying in this UJE map. These guys have really some good mappers in their corner (and I love their open source philosophy). I want this however with your chute (@RayBan) since the opening and closing animation is epic.

I somehow can’t get the chute properly attached to my clip cage . It’s clearly the fact that my cage has no tag. Need kinda empty model with tag at the right position I guess.

(RayBan) #15

I give all respect to the UJE, one of my favorite maps was by UJE… and I would search the servers to see it playing so I could join…