Why is the sentry gun garbage?

(HIJINKS) #1

Based on my experience, it has done absolutely nothing! Having access to a sentry gun should create great support and cause certain routes to parts of the map much harder to access when strategically placed, yet I run into so many issues with it. Doesn’t detect enemies as fast as it should be if at all and gets destroyed far too easily and the detection range it has seems to differ all the time. A few times I even dropped it right in front and at times even behind almost full enemy teams and it did nothing just sat there and proceeded to get destroyed. Please Make support classes good at actually being support classes. I spent real cash to get Bushwacker to be able to use the sentry and I’m completely disappointed.

(NeroKirbus) #2

He’s still one of the best engineer mercs; he excels at defending especially. You have to place it to create a cross fire, you can’t expect to play him like the engineer from Team Fortress 2. When you catch an enemy or two off guard with the sentry by distracting them with yourself, it has very unexpected damage output and will surely put the two of them at a disadvantage.

Give it more time and find some creative ways to place it, it will surely do the wonders you’ll expect then.

(Domipheus) #3

I do think the health of sentries are a little low. To make effective use of it, the engineer needs to partner with it so enemies are taking hits from multiple angles. It’s still very useful but either needs a small health buff or a increase to it’s invulnerability when first spawned.

(Szakalot) #4

Turret is fine! just have to be smart about it. cant put it somewhere and expect it to hold its own, set it up in a corner and make a crossfire.

Turret had a recent HP nerf (something like 10-20hp) and its much more bearable now. Turret was super annoying before, now its in a good place. One of the better abilities in the game!

(Domipheus) #5

I don’t think the nerf was warranted. You can hear them, and you can quite easily take them down with smgs. They can be taken down immediately with very little fire when being deployed.

I play bushy primarily, so yeah, bit of bias here, but you hardly see turrets in big games due to how useless they now are. Now I use them as area indicators. If it’s taken down, or locks on, I know there is someone nearby. It isn’t really used to kill any more.

(Glottis-3D) #6

dublpost lol

(Glottis-3D) #7

i’m with Szaka on this, Turret is in a nice place. They realy can catch off guard players who rush too much, like myself. But they do very little dmg, if placed badly.

(Szakalot) #8

[QUOTE=Domipheus;541630]I don’t think the nerf was warranted. You can hear them, and you can quite easily take them down with smgs. They can be taken down immediately with very little fire when being deployed.

I play bushy primarily, so yeah, bit of bias here, but you hardly see turrets in big games due to how useless they now are. Now I use them as area indicators. If it’s taken down, or locks on, I know there is someone nearby. It isn’t really used to kill any more.[/QUOTE]

why do you think it should be used to kill? turret is in a nice supportive fire place. I can’t count the times a well placed turret created a crossfire that eventually stopped a whole push. especially in 5v5 format (admittedly turrets are less powerful in 8v8 where there is a huge amount of spam, except when bushwhackers stack)

(Domipheus) #9

TBH, it’s probably your last point really. Not had the chance to play any competitive lately (im not soloing, ugh). I’m known for finding silly* places for turrets, so it’s mostly the upset that my baby isn’t the OP git it was before :wink: Introduction of napalm doesn’t help either, I guess.

*amazing

(PixelTwitch) #10

I still think much more health and a little less damage.

(Domipheus) #11

I think I’d probably be okay with that.

(Szakalot) #12

so more of a bunker? I prefer it the way it is, high damage, lower health

(PixelTwitch) #13

not really a bunker, just not to the point where every Merc at every range can beat it in a 1 vs 1.
Just bring it to the point where people have to at least think about taking it on, peak it, use explosives or rush it together.

As it is right now it really only punishes peoples mistakes rather then being something that feels more involved.

(Domipheus) #14

I just want it to be a bit less easy to destroy. A Proxy unloading a few secondary shots at it, I don’t think, should bring it down (which it can do just now). Should be made to be a bit smarter, go round the back and shotty/knife it, or call in support from other mercs. Damage doesn’t really matter when it’s so easy to down in the first place imo.

(Domipheus) #15

[QUOTE=PixelTwitch;541638]not really a bunker, just not to the point where every Merc at every range can beat it in a 1 vs 1.
Just bring it to the point where people have to at least think about taking it on, peak it, use explosives or rush it together.

As it is right now it really only punishes peoples mistakes rather then being something that feels more involved.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t see this before I replied. I think we’re on the same page.

(Glottis-3D) #16

i wouldnt mind more HP for turrets, if i had a nade as Aura or Phoenix or Skyhammer or etc etc.
there are only 5 mercs that have kind-of-nades.
And yes i do not think that there is anything fun in storming a freakin turret. There alrdy was a more HP version, i felt like i am wasting my time everytime, when i had to think ‘oh great, now i have to deal with another aimbotting turret with 40 sec cooldown’

dealing with abilities should be only complementary to player vs player fights.

(Domipheus) #17

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;541641]i wouldnt mind more HP for turrets, if i had a nade as Aura or Phoenix or Skyhammer or etc etc.
there are only 5 mercs that have kind-of-nades.
And yes i do not think that there is anything fun in storming a freakin turret. There alrdy was a more HP version, i felt like i am wasting my time everytime, when i had to think ‘oh great, now i have to deal with another aimbotting turret with 40 sec cooldown’

dealing with abilities should be only complementary to player vs player fights.[/QUOTE]

I think that’s a bit harsh. There are very many ways to defeat the turrets, shooting them for a more prolonged period would still be a valid tactic, and require you to take out any bushies monitoring that turret nearby. The tracking speed of them is fairly slow, peeking and shooting even with a higher health will still be doable. Cooldowns can always be altered.

Like pixel states though, I really don’t think players should be able to beat the turrets in 1v1s so easily. It is really easy atm.

(Glottis-3D) #18

same goes to mines. they are very easily destroyed, and they are vey visible. If you die from a mine, then you was realy hurry, not paying attention. Do you also mean to buff mines? because for me there is no difference between Bush and Proxy.

(Domipheus) #19

surely mines are the opposite? Very easy to kill, very high damage. At the moment turrets are easy to kill, low-ish damage.

(Glottis-3D) #20

no, they are not the opposite. Mines just like Turrets do not kill good players. Only bad ones, and situationally kill players who didnt pay attention at the moment. Due to firefight or whatever.

But as an ability, as a defensive wepon mines and turrets are in the same place. They may help you, but only if you are smart and unexpected.