Dome again

(spookify) #1

Progression! Fall Backs!! Spawns!

(NeroKirbus) #2

The decision was made before dome was released, and it particularly affected bridge. A single team wipe would allow attackers to grab both containers and simply deliver; it wouldn’t allow the defenders to counter attack at all.

For dome it would be beneficial to be able to carry both containers, having the defenders prioritize which one to defend… But making those game rules on a map to map basis would make the objectives that much more convoluted… It would be much better to just switch the first objective as everyone is suggesting.

(Faraleth) #3

Reminds me of a match I had the other day, where a newbie was running around in circles and for some reason couldn’t figure out where to take the first objective XD I think while the “funnel” maps are more newbie friendly, I’m starting to appreciate a lot of the areas in Dome a lot more, but I still think the first objective needs a lot of work - more specifically the hand-in point. It’s too cluttered in there and it often comes down to throwing a bunch of explosives in the pit and shotgun/melee fights until everyone’s wiped out. It just becomes a real meat-grind. :frowning:

(BomBaKlaK) #4

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Enough cutting the maps in half !!!

(spookify) #5

I have played Dome like 20 times and I have made it to the last stage once… There is no need for stage 3.

A good team with this layout could win Dome in a few minutes and that is how SW should work.

(spookify) #6

Open Objective maps are perfect for DB, especially with merc abilities. If attackers blow the wall they can then plant the Second Stage Objectives however defenders can place mines, turrets, heartbeat sensors and other things to alert them someone is trying to get past. That is the magic of SW.

You hold the fort until you cant hold it anymore and fall back.

(Mustang) #7

Three 6 minute objectives >>> Two 9 minutes objectives >> One 18 minute objective

Stop being silly spookify, just because you never see the third objective doesn’t mean remove it, it means fix the map pacing so you do see it.

(Demolama) #8

Why can’t we carry two objectives at the same time? I don’t understand why all the maps insist on prolong those portions

(NeroKirbus) #9

It was allowed in most of alpha and beta stages; it was removed to prevent complete stomps if the attacking team is that much better than the defending team… I think that was the reasoning, something along those lines. It allows the defending team to recuperate and attempt a final defense of those types of objectives.

(Szakalot) #10

except it doesnt, because they way maps play out,; if you lose the position, you’re gonna get spawncamped forever

(Glottis-3D) #11

3rd Object suffers from

-lack of forward spawn
-separated frontline for attackers. i already stated this before.

this building has to be a THING in the frontline, this building has to be important. think of The Ark map from ETQW 1st stage. That building with spawnhosts in it was a major concern for defenders.

otherwise the fights are separated and feel very clumsy for defs and for attackers.

2nd Objective.

second route here very much needed

(Szakalot) #12

Very true on both points, +1 Glottis

(spookify) #13

Im trying to think if any Comp maps in ET or RTCW were 3 stages like Dome is? I know some pub stomp maps were multi stage but not comp maps.

I played for 6 hours yesterday and it was mostly fun. Only one unbalanced game on Train and Dome where everyone just camped the main objective. hundred kills but nothing I could do with 2 level 5’s and uneven teams do to a ghost player. Other then those two times things went fairly smooth.

I really hope SD starts making Comp level maps that actually work for pubs also.

Here are 3 major things that are wrong with DB maps:

Non-Fixed Spawns (It seems random according to attackers advancing)
Non-Running Spawn timer (I hope a running spawn timer is put in comp to make it a true SW)
Step By Step Objectives (And also no Multi Path to Main or Secondary Obj) (Cant bypass Objectives)

*Important: There’s really no strategy to DB right now, only possible merc combinations, some placement and simple teamwork. SD is focusing us to fight in a specific area. I bet they thought that Dome would have 2 areas because of the pump but they are dead wrong. You cant leave a pit exposed not even for a second with how fast some of these mercs are. Dome you are just left guarding a hole… Why not guard the walls and your forward spawn and or virus base.

Plus Dome is again Step by Step SD is not letting us simply go around the Virus Data Core thing and plant the 1 or 2 towers which would be a natural Defensive fall back. Maps should naturally work in this way. If we get a 5 minute map so be it. Level 10 min servers might see this average around 8 minutes and Comp will sign wildly.

Enough of this forcing us to play a map that is designed to last 15-30 minutes!!! Its no reason people leave after every map! 30 minutes of banging your head against a wall fighting for a tiny area with no way around it.

(Glottis-3D) #14

i think at this stage, where we have like 1000 good players (read ex ET/ETQW or just smart ppl)
and 200 000 newbs (not the sick6 newb, just newbs)
SD do not want to OVER complicate current maps.
i realy hope for such maps to be in the game at some point. but seeing ppl still having trouble figuring out which way to go and when on dome makes me think this is not the time for not step-by-step maps. just yet.

(spookify) #15

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;541135]i think at this stage, where we have like 1000 good players (read ex ET/ETQW or just smart ppl)
and 200 000 newbs (not the sick6 newb, just newbs)
SD do not want to OVER complicate current maps.
i realy hope for such maps to be in the game at some point. but seeing ppl still having trouble figuring out which way to go and when on dome makes me think this is not the time for not step-by-step maps. just yet.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with the noobs especially the part of them getting lost of Dome. Even noobs in ET and RTCW could figure out maps because they were straight forward progression. You were always focused toward an objective. Dome you have trick jumps and line of sight areas that people get lost in.

Plus this bring up the point that even if a teammate is lost or you have a Ghost player its impossible to win with a meat grinding 1 Objective with no path or alternative objective to split the push or make the defense shift.

Dome, Train and a few other stages of maps people will just set up Aura stations and turrets and camp the objective and I mean right on it.