Lets Talk Dome - Dev stream tonight at 19:00UTC

(Chris Mullins) #1

Hey all,

In the next update we’re making some changes to Dome and we want to show you what these are. There has been a lot of feedback about Dome, some of which we’ll be looking at tonight along with what we have done and what we are planning to do.

So on tonight’s stream massE will be joining myself as we run around the map to show you the changes and we would love to see as many of you in the stream as possible. If you like, feel free to jump on and play Dome beforehand to make notes on anything which jumps out at you. We do want to keep this mostly Dome related, but towards the end of the stream we will swap across to a public server to play with you guys and talk about anything else on your mind.

Stream will start at 19:00 UTC and you can catch here: http://www.Twitch.tv/DirtyBomb

See you there!

(Raviolay) #2

Will you post it up hear for those of us who can’t watch?

(spookify) #3

#1) Why design a base with walls that people can simply walk around?

#2) Why are the MG’s (which are built in) facing the asset they are trying to protect?

Note: With the Generators so easy to take out now everyone will be guarding a pit!

Question: Why are you forcing us to fight at Generators an not the naturally made Wall/Blast Door?

SW Modes are about Speed, Timing, Teamwork, Rotation, Multi-Path and Progression. Dome is so close to being good! I personally think you are underestimating players!

#3) Delivering two Viruses to a Pit and Spawn Forward??? Waaaaa!

#4) Generators are on the Outside of the base and or wall? Why? I will design a castle drawbridge control on the outside of the wall and or make is so their is a path right to it. AND in-order to “raise” the drawbridge I need to send troops outside of the castle walls to raise it. WTF!

#5) This is SW Mode so why not be able to plant one of the (or Both) Towers on Stage 2 without doing stage one? If you can sneak around and plant it you make the defense call back and that generates an opening for the remaining team to complete stage one. SD map people are over thinking SW map design! Stop “making” us fight in specific area’s and baby us through objectives! The Community isnt dumb…

#6) Why not Plant both towers on Second Stage?

#7) Why is their even a Third stage!

SW maps should be designed to end quickly if that team is so much better! Im talking like 2 minutes! Please stop forcing us into specific situations.

Please Go back and look at RTCW, ET and QW map design and see what worked.

(titan) #4

Spook makes some good points
my main issues with the map are that

A) In pubs attackers cannot push effectively. Because the map splits in two for the attackers and it’s a 20 second run there’s never a consolidated push which is probably why the completion rate for the 1st obj is soooo low. Waiting for the full spawn timer then pushing is possible in competitive play but just unreasonable to expect in a pub. Defenders spawn so much closer and have a single area to defend where as attackers are constantly split, constantly getting killed on long spawn timers… When you combine this with the fact its a delivery obj and someone also has to carry the obj during this chaos… TWICE:D it’s just so difficult for attackers, not sure the changes will be enough to fix this.

B) The fact that defenders can do a really quick repair on the generators while the attackers have to plant a 40 second c4. The map is already so defender heavy it feels it should be the other way around. If defenders want to close the gates they should have to commit atleast a little bit to a c4 plant. Instead the attackers just plant the c4 wait 2 spawn waves then use the gate… only to be closed in 3 seconds by a proxy. I get that you can kill them with explosives but again, gl getting it to happen in a pub.

Don’t think I expressed my points too well am a bit tired, hopefully you get the idea. Delivering 2 objs in a map with 2 paths that split far away from eachother, to a single heavily fortified area which defenders also spawn really close to, it’s pretty clear why this map has been received by the community so negatively. We beg for maps and tbh I think the majority of players really dislike dome atm… quite a shame cause it’s got potential. The worst part is though ALL of this was brought up in the multiple beta test weekends and totally ignored which is really disheartening.

Pixel just made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnfDCba65Ag
sums up some of my thoughts a bit more coherently. Delivery obj with 2 long lanes is a recipe for disaster and doesn’t work. Please change to c4 or capture or hack obj as pixel suggests, it rly rly rly doesn’t work as a delivery obj.

(rookie1) #5

Great Streaming ,loved MassE very informative explanations on the map and we almost saw something we shouldnt was suppose (a new merc ) …but no luck :stuck_out_tongue:

(BomBaKlaK) #6

1rst carryable obj just don’t work, like pixel said “broken by design” ! And the only other objectives are C4 …
Hacking obj type ? 1rst objective look like an ETQW shield generator so why not ? And if not hacked during 1 min it reset to 0 like in ETQW. Carryable objectives in DB are not fun as they was in WofET or ETQW … most part due to this horrible pick up mechanic …

And no changes on the old map pool ?

(Szakalot) #7

hack objective would be somuch better! there are enough routes to sneak through and chip in to the obj completion

(spookify) #8

My “New” Dome Feedback or Idea here!!

I think a major problem is SD not allowing the map to play as it should. If people can blow a wall and sneak through and past the enemy spawn that person should be allowed to plant.

I remember a long time back when SD was trying to create the map times. I think this would have been a good start and then let the map play out; however SD blocked off everything and makes us fight where they want us to.

RTCW, ET and QW all had maps that could be completed in record times. I remember playing against U5 in Season’ish of the TWL Alpha finals and the Frostbite times were like 4:30 and 4:35…

Maybe a lot of people leave because the maps are so drawn out and repetitive. People are drained playing one map because it is a grind fest.

This “lotto” style is what DB needs. You thought there was a problem with spawn killing? This maybe why! Yes people got spawn camped in ET and RTCW BUT someone would always sneak around and do a first or second objective breaking the spawn camp. It worked perfectly!

P.S.
I would also make/suggest your map designers take a briggs myers personality test to see what the thinking might be based on.

I’m a INFJ and sometimes a INTJ which is the rares personality. :wink:

(BomBaKlaK) #9

Please don’t cut the map again …

(Szakalot) #10

the only reason why i’d agree to cut the map is if they make two separate maps out of it, and bigger combined than the present dome.