DB frustration

(Violator) #1

I’ve been getting frustrated with DB lately and its a combination of niggles and other things.

1. The 13/14 ‘FULL’ bug - http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/43263-Server-Full-but-Isnt
  2. Stacked teams + being the ‘weightlifter’. I seem to get put onto the team full of low level players and end up carrying them, or the reverse which is a boring stomp. One team always have one less player than the other.
  3. Server timeouts. Will eventually find a balanced game and will lose server connection / get booted back to the main menu.
  4. Meatgrind on last objectives. I enjoy the first objective generally on most maps, but the last one is usually a meatgrind / spawncamp. End up dreading the last objective on chapel.
  5. Min level 10 servers are usually good but incredibly rare to find a free spot on.
  6. Rarity of players over level 7 or other players who know what they are doing.

My typical session will be
Try 3 or 4 servers which are 13/14 - FULL before hitting one that is not actually full. End up on a 12/14 or 11/14 which will usually have uneven sides.
See how stacked the teams are and quit for the next server.
Play a decent game (with combination of the above about 1 in 10 server connections) and try and clear missions (with the exception of the execution ones which are too frequent and need too many rounds (certainly victories) to clear.

My typical game:

Or this (from the other side):

(Kl3ppy) #2

This update has so many bugs, it is hard to beleive that there was a QA before the release.

(signofzeta) #3

The thing for me is that I sometimes get BSODs only when this game is running. I’d rather have 0% chance of a BSOD.

(Szakalot) #4

I try not to ever play on anything but minvll10 servers. Get pretty good games there, opposition is nice and challenging

(Violator) #5

But so hard to find a free server :frowning: We need some min level 10 Execution servers as well.

(Szakalot) #6

we need execution true, finding a server takes about as long as it takes one to finish a map, you join the next 6/14 and in 2min serv is full again

(riptide) #7

My biggest frustration is people leaving. Not just in competitive but any server. Unless you’re changing game modes or closing the game, there is no reason to leave.

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen people leave a game after a match. Then watch them rejoin when they don’t find any 11/12, 13/14, 15/16 servers as if the world should be waiting on them.

If you’re going to keep playing, stay in the damn lobby. The longer people stay, the more balanced games we will get and the more time we actually spend playing the game.

This is just one reason why I think this game desperately needs community rented servers. A place to call home so to speak. Who gives a damn about stopwatch 6v6 #01, but if it was say… DBN #1 it would always be full.

That and IRC are the only reason gaming with small numbers was successful back in late 90’s and early 2000’s. Almost all games had a player base similar to DB in size, but it actually felt like there was a good sized community in those days.

(montheponies) #8

^ agreed.

The lobby system almost invites you to leave by saying you’re going to be waiting for a while for the next game to start - and as folk go, it snowballs until you’re left at best with a 4v4, which after a few minutes in game goes back up - meaning that on stopwatch the first objective can be completed with woefully unbalanced sides…

If we aren’t going to get community servers anytime soon, how about putting up a few Min Level 10 servers on a fixed map/merc rotation. Can you imagine finishing a game and immediately loading up the next map…guarantee they would stay fuller, even if the next map was one that you didn’t particularly like. (as an aside, why do the servers have a ‘next map’ showing when you join, only to then have you vote for the next…)?

(spookify) #9

I cant believe people play OBJ mode in this game. Only playing one side with unknown spawn waves is crazy frustrating. IMO this mode needs to go and a TDM “style” so people can have fun killing and only be slighty worried about an objective and not 100% focued on only playing 1 stage in a specific amount of time.

(fzl) #10

plz give us more min lvl 10 or for example 2 min lvl20 servers…and remove this stupid execution missions…

and a note from me…

i`m just wondering about game balance…in competition is balance now very better…but in public horrible as before…why this?

(Szakalot) #11

its fine, obj server adds that little bit of chaos factor which is better for pubs; teams are more likely to be balanced, and maps switch often.

(KeMoN) #12

#1 I have to admit that I occasionally leave the lobby to check the case I just received. Not that you receive anything useful from the normal crates, but just out of curiosity. I don’t really understand why i cant check that in the lobby…

#2 Also I don’t see the point in trying to balance the game in the lobby. People will directly leave once they see the team ‘balancing’, making the teams even more unfair. Just throw everyone in the game and shuffle upon warmUP, that way you take everyone that plays into account. Right now late joiners (after the grey player list turns into the team display, still in lobby) aren’t really balanced anymore.

#3 What is happening to the intro video? You always had problems with getting thrown back into the lobby and stuff, but right now it’s horrible. The video seems to start differently for everyone and once you spawn your teammates could already be way ahead.