[IDEA] Dome Rework

(Faraleth) #1

Well, here’s my idea for a Dome rework. You might want to see the full-size image to properly see everything, so click here for that.

The large image and the image below have both been updated with notes. You’ll have to see the large one now to read them, however.

I think it stream-lines a map a lot and adds a LOT of needed direction, without removing too many of the interesting paths or compromising choice of route. :slight_smile: I should also mention that the intention of this improvement is to keep the objectives the SAME as they are right now, just improve map layout. Let me know what you all think!

Not saying this is perfect or anything, it’s just a rough re-work and I’m sure further improvements could be made.

(spookify) #2

Here’s mine:

(spookify) #3

Here’s mine:

I would turn the Center Circle into some sort or fort like on ET:Supply Flag Room.

Edit: Double Post wtf?

(Szakalot) #4

cant rightly judge these without proper context. imo major fix only has to be done on the firstobj, like a forward spawn or unrepairable gates

(Kl3ppy) #5

[QUOTE=spookify;540683]Here’s mine:

I would turn the Center Circle into some sort or fort like on ET:Supply Flag Room.

Edit: Double Post wtf?[/QUOTE]

I deleted ur double post. If it was the wrong one, let me know :wink:

I wouldnt delete any routes/spaces because that makes the map better than every other map. But it could be more intuitive which way is short and dangerous and which one is long and sneaky.

The first objective is fine for me, also the second one. But I somehow dislike the last one.

(Faraleth) #6

[QUOTE=spookify;540683]Here’s mine:

Edit: Double Post wtf?[/QUOTE]

Apparently the link/attachment doesn’t work? :frowning:

(Kl3ppy) #7

I can open it.
I add it here again:

I like that Dome has not the “tube” feeling. But there is a lot of space which is basically unused.

(Glottis-3D) #8

i didnt get the idea. some color and some comments would be helpful.

(Faraleth) #9

Alright, I’ll update it properly with some annotations ^.^

(Mustang) #10

So basically remove most of the alternative routes and railroad/funnel everything, this is one of the main things this map gets right, so no thanks.

(Faraleth) #11

The purpose wasn’t to completely remove routes, it was to stream-line parts of the map that feel VERY redundant. The journey between objective 2 and 3, for example, is far too long for the attacker’s to run and I personally feel it could use a little more direction and less “clutter”. I left in a LOT of the alternative routes in my re-work and actually only completely removed one route, while I actually added several new rooms and directions. :slight_smile: I hope this helps explain my intentions a little more, because I do agree the amount of different routes on this map makes it very special compared to the others! I just think some of the placement and map direction is a little off :s

(ZGToRRent) #12

My suggestions:

Remove these useless areas. Players are wasting time running through these paths :frowning:

(BomBaKlaK) #13

[QUOTE=ZGToRRent;540792]My suggestions:

Remove these useless areas. Players are wasting time running through these paths :frowning:

[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOOO ! Keep the map open ! with multiple access !!!
Tube feeling map not needed anymore !!! you already have some tube maps !

(Szakalot) #14

[QUOTE=BomBaKlaK;540795]NOOOOOOOOOOO ! Keep the map open ! with multiple access !!!
Tube feeling map not needed anymore !!! you already have some tube maps ![/QUOTE]

totally agree, an open map is a nice refreshment over the tubes. What dome could REALLY use though is a forward spawn, especially for attacker’s 3rd objective; there are so many interesting fighting areas on the way to the 3rd objective that defense could utilize, if it wasn’t so punishing (defending a forward spawn area would give something to fight for)

(Mustang) #15

Think I can safely say I know why ZGToRRent isn’t a map designer.

(ZGToRRent) #16

Thanks, I just hate useless areas that no one is really uses.

Speedrun or riot.

(Szakalot) #17

[QUOTE=ZGToRRent;540811]Thanks, I just hate useless areas that no one is really uses.

Speedrun or riot.[/QUOTE]

i understand that running through those areas feels redundant after spawning but:

• even if an area is rarely used it still allows for some usage. Plenty of areas on ET/QW maps would almost never be used, maps were still great
  • it also gives a sense of freedom to the player. Rather than always push the same choke for 15min and playing a huge grind, you can slow the pace of the game, go sneaky-beaky flank, etc. This was missing from DB, that was present in both ET and QW. Large/wide maps allow to pace the game out better.

(BomBaKlaK) #18

But clearly the First obj of Dome is actually to difficult.

(Faraleth) #19

Yeah, I think part of the main problem is due to the fact that it’s down in that tiny pit… It’s some-what of a challenge actually getting there (which is a good thing, it shouldn’t be a straight-up rush), but the pit is just TOO much of a meat-grind, to be honest. It might be a little easier if they actually beveled the sides of the pit, meaning you could run in/out from any angle and aren’t limited to the stairs. But that’s just me thinking out loud, I’m sure there would be a better solution, I definitely think it has a lot to do with the design of the pit and where the entrances to the turn-in point actually are. :confused:

(BomBaKlaK) #20

The design of the pit is a part of the problem, but I think the main problem is the side objective doors, no matter if there is one or 2 milk jugs. To easy to build & it take to long to blow it up. (5s to build / 40s to blow up)