Helping the Ranks system [new feature] - built-in PUGs

(Glottis-3D) #1

Hello guys.
I am realy worried with ranks system now, how ranks are wrong for several monthes.
I am gold2 and i personally know cobalts that are worse than me and some other golds. i will not say names, because they are my friends =)))))

the problem, as i see it is as folows:
ranks are *****ed, so MM works wrong (matches are not balanced game wise, but team ranks seem ok-ish), so rank do not (or do very slowly) change to the better (more precise representation of skill)

So as an alternative to the MM thingy i would like to talk about good old PUG system.

1. You press “Play Competitive Pick-up game”
  2. you go the the PUG creation page, where you see hunderds of other PUG-searches with their current ELO.
  3. you have buttons
    -quick join unfinished PUG lobby
    -create PUG (all ranks or a restricted ranks check boxes - lower and/or higher than xx are not allowed) you can name a pug for easy search.
    -pug browser (unfinished lobbies only)
  4. within a PUG lobby you have 2 captains (2 players, who were captains for most times OR (if non of them was) - 2 most ELO players) and a button vote for different captain.
  5. then you play a pug (copy taste the DBN system ?)

why this is any better?
-it is a freakin PUG these games are usually far more balanced than any automatic MM
-it is ranked, so the ranks will become more correct.

OR

Ranked servers with 5v5 rule and Rank-based shuffle. and no MM-waiting.
Several Spec slots will be also hugely helpful.

this is much more easy way to make ppl play ranked matches. and there will be no 5premades vs solos ever (bacause of ranked shuffle every match)

(Kl3ppy) #2

I’m gold 2 too. Just in case you didnt notice, gold 2 is the best level you can reach :wink:

Smooth stated that they are considering changes in the rank-up/down system. I dont want to see a new system, I want to see a mm which is working. SD should rework it based on the input we give and when they are done and the testing was good, they should hype it. And with testing I mean to take it live but dont inform the players about the updated MM. When the games are better they can hype the **** out of it.

(Glottis-3D) #3

[QUOTE=Kl3ppy;540649]I’m gold 2 too. Just in case you didnt notice, gold 2 is the best level you can reach :wink:

Smooth stated that they are considering changes in the rank-up/down system. I dont want to see a new system, I want to see a mm which is working. SD should rework it based on the input we give and when they are done and the testing was good, they should hype it. And with testing I mean to take it live but dont inform the players about the updated MM. When the games are better they can hype the **** out of it.[/QUOTE]

SD alrdy reworked it. and it seemed to get better but still wasnt correct. and we didnt give any significant input, simply because we do not know the numbers. i cannot give input on whether the formula works correctly or not, if i do not see the numbers.
i can only state that MM workd poorly. ranks do not change fast enough, and ranks are incorrect.

i suggest an additional data source. with much more balanced matches

(Szakalot) #4

it would be great, and I’d love it too; I’d pick something along the lines of RTS lobbies rather than what you describe without captains and 10 players being shuffled randomly according to the skill rating (or ffa do as you wish, with a skill rating average displayed for both teams)

sounds like a lot of work thou

(Glottis-3D) #5

[QUOTE=Szakalot;540651]it would be great, and I’d love it too; I’d pick something along the lines of RTS lobbies rather than what you describe without captains and 10 players being shuffled randomly according to the skill rating (or ffa do as you wish, with a skill rating average displayed for both teams)

sounds like a lot of work thou[/QUOTE]

if you have a pool of players with close ratings (in the PUG lobby) - you can choose to vote “play ranks-based shuffle game or play a PUG (with captains)”

(ostmustis) #6

sounds way to complicated to get popular with the masses

(Glottis-3D) #7

this hugely depends on the UI presentation.
i probably didnt describe it in simple way.

(Glottis-3D) #8

OR

Ranked servers with 5v5 rule and Rank-based shuffle. and no MM-waiting.
Several Spec slots will be also hugely helpful.

this is much more easy way to make ppl play ranked matches. and there will be no 5premades vs solos ever (bacause of ranked shuffle every match)

(ZGToRRent) #9

Ranks are f***ed because it’s all about wins/losses. People can be boosted via premades etc.

(Glottis-3D) #10

in quakelive ELO is also w/l based, and it is not broken or f @ cked up.
http://www.qlranks.com/tdm/player/Latrommi

(Szakalot) #11

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;540659]in quakelive ELO is also w/l based, and it is not broken or f @ cked up.
http://www.qlranks.com/tdm/player/Latrommi[/QUOTE]

isnt that 1v1?

(Glottis-3D) #12

thats TDM stats

(ostmustis) #13

league also only bases on wins losses (but a little harder to get carried with a 2-man premade in the solo-/duoque).
the problem is that there is no good way to measure individual skill thus wins and losses is the best.

(ZGToRRent) #14

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;540659]in quakelive ELO is also w/l based, and it is not broken or f @ cked up.
http://www.qlranks.com/tdm/player/Latrommi[/QUOTE]

Ranked TDM is 2v2? It’s harder to boost players when teams are smaller.

(Glottis-3D) #15

no, it is 4v4 TDM

(_milla) #16

I agree with you guys but I think

why not to give ranks on public servers too depending on wins/losses? Why is rank only available for competetive gaming?
Giving rank to everyone will be better. Some high lvl players dont play comp at all, and comp games can be infected by cheaters.

So I think best option will be to release ranking for every player depeding on his w/l on all game modes.

(NeroKirbus) #17

[QUOTE=_milla;540677]I agree with you guys but I think

why not to give ranks on public servers too depending on wins/losses? Why is rank only available for competetive gaming?
Giving rank to everyone will be better. Some high lvl players dont play comp at all, and comp games can be infected by cheaters.

So I think best option will be to release ranking for every player depeding on his w/l on all game modes.[/QUOTE]

There is already a public skill rating, it just isn’t presented to the players.