Windows 10

(Ghosthree3) #1

I’m taking the plunge, I’ll let you know if DB works with it or there’s huge driver issues.

(Ghosthree3) #2

Seems good, would recommend /10 (heh).

(watsyurdeal) #3

How easy is the install?

Does it format the drive windows is installed on or just simply overwrite the needed files and registry?

(Ghosthree3) #4

There’s 3 options. Save data and settings, I think the middle option is save settings can’t recall, then the third is to save nothing and clean install which is what I chose. Always recommend clean installs when possible. I have no idea saving your shit works in an upgrade, maybe it’s the exact same as you were just using but an upgraded OS? I don’t know, I don’t wanna know, it’s a good excuse to spring clean and get rid of crap you’ve let pile up.

Pretty easy to install, run the disc in windows and follow the prompts, it’ll reboot a couple of times have you pick time/date your username etc. And make sure to hit the little customise settings button instead of the Express Settings option half way through so you can disable all the scary snoopy shit.

Also skip the Microsoft account part unless you really want that.

After that I didn’t really have to do much but install drivers and set up my shortcuts again.

By this point the system was usable and it’d taken under an hour. Took me another hour to set up all the applications I use frequently with the correct settings again.

Easier for me than most because I keep literally nothing but Windows and Applications on the C: drive so formatting is easy, I just symlink everything in my user profiles across to other drives afterwards.

EDIT: Oh, also installed Start10 because ew, new start menu just…inferior. Not too bad but why use it when you can get a W7 replica that’s better.

(frzn) #5

Is their clean install a reformat, or do you keep your non-windows stuff?

(Ghosthree3) #6

Clean install seems to move everything on the hard drive into a new folder called Windows.Old on the root of the drive. Apparently it is scheduled to auto delete after a month or so or you can do what I did and use disk cleanup to do it sooner.

(frzn) #7

Thanks.

(ThePatientOne) #8

I have been using win10 professional preview ever since it came out on torrent and I love it compared to win8. Also, the game runs smooth on it with no problems. I had only one problem with the audio not working with the latest win10 upgrade but I found a workaround and fixed it.

(ThePatientOne) #9

Also, installation was noob-proof

(Ghosthree3) #10

I dunno about noob proof. It’s very simple yes, but if you don’t hit the tiny buttons to open up the extra options and just use express you could do a lot of stuff you don’t want.

(ThePatientOne) #11

I might have done some of that stuff then… What have I done?

(Ghosthree3) #12

If you hit express install and didn’t ask for the extra options you’ve got a bunch of privacy concern options enabled which send questionable data to Microsoft. Can be disabled post install though.

(frzn) #13

So it turns out that you really really really should do a clean install. The other install option broke a bunch of things, most importantly norton antivirus and my usb 3.0 drivers.

Aside from the forced updates it seems alright, although I’m a bit worried that it might force me to buy a new copy when I eventually replace my mobo.

(Ghosthree3) #14

Not surprised. Upgrading to a completely new OS with software possibly built for an old version as well as drivers doesn’t sound like a good idea. Best to fresh start and get everything as new as possible, especially drivers.

Replacing the mobo makes it a new ‘computer’ so it might lose genuine status. Really sad but I guess they have to have some way of knowing if it’s a different PC. They can’t know it’s the same person using it.

(frzn) #15

Yeah, but it’s just so time consuming to reinstall everything that I was kind of hoping I wouldn’t have to.

Well, I have changed my mobo with windows xp and 7 without needing to rebuy it. Windows 10 on the other hand has my install linked to my microsoft account and has changed the monetization model to be based around selling subscription services, apps, games, etc instead of windows itself, hence the free upgrade. They just haven’t been very forthcoming about how hardware upgrades will work with w10 so it’s just hard to say what will happen.

(Ghosthree3) #16

In the past license keys have been valid for up to 3 computers or something, that may be why you were able to change the mobo. I’m not sure but I think 10 may be one pc only.

I don’t know if it’s different if it’s tied to your MS account, I won’t touch that, I’m using a local account.

([Deleted User]) #17

The user and all related content has been deleted.

(Ghosthree3) #18

You could spend less time on /g/ and just disable the privacy settings like a normal person and not be a paranoid memer instead.

Botnet might be an acceptable term there because it’s shit posting but the definition of botnet doesn’t mean what you’re using it for, so don’t.

Are you aware that 2 months ago Windows 7 and 8 got an update pushed that gives them the same telemetry reporting that Windows 10 has :wink:

([Deleted User]) #19

The user and all related content has been deleted.

(Ghosthree3) #20

I’ll have you know I use /lgbt/ N with Arch dual boot!