How to Promote Swag

(Szakalot) #1

DB has a lot of swag, mostly in terms of merc+gun skins; which I think is heavily underpromoted at the moment. This is not a thread about how loadout cards could be separated into guns+cards, etc. etc.;

this is just about how to promote the swag that is already out there.

Unlike CSGO, Dirtybomb is very fast-paced: there is simply not enough time to look at your opponent/their weapon before trying to kill them. You also can’t pick up the weapons/bring them to the next round. Kills themselves aren’t as ego-based and personal like in CS either: most kills happen in teamfights that continuously shift around the map. Therefore, DB will never achieve the same level of swag as CS when it comes to checking out your opponents/admiring their stuff.

It is clear though that swag can make a big difference in this game: an upstart youtuber with 12k subs got almost 100k views for acobalt case opening video: People want the swag, and are willing to pay $$$ for it, we just need more opportunities to show it off around the place.

This leaves us with one option: teammates! Indeed, in DB you are more likely to notice a skin on your teammate while running together to the objective, being revived/helped up, giving ammo, setting up defenses with aura, etc. etc, than you ever are able to notice a skin on the opponent.

One way to promote skin swag among your teammates that I also think would give better team cohesion is to introduce elements of team building/composition at the beginning of the map.

Instead of watching a 20sec objective explanatory video, which everyone is absolutely fed up with why not demonstrate each teammate, with their selected mercs/cards, not unlike xcom team building:

You can do it either all at once like in an image above (with the mercs switching between what is currently selected), or in sequence: starting with the first player to load the map/press f6 and going one by one, for a couple seconds each. This would allow the team to build around what is currently selected: first person selects an engineer, the next person is now more likely to pick something else. Obviously people can switch around mid-map, but the majority of players uses a single merc for the entire map.

It promotes the idea of working as a team, already at the team building level, before the map started. It gives you a reason to use those high-tier cards ‘see my awesome cobalt fragger guys, im gonna carry you!’.

Once we have stats in-game, you can also display interesting statistics (and badges) associated with the particular merc a player chose: ‘this vassili scored 100k headshots’ ‘this sawbonez healed a total of 56k health’ ‘this aura has 50 doctor badges!’ ‘this skyhammer gave 300k ammo’ etc.

(DB Genome editor) #2

Bringing back the post-game awards (MVP, most objectives, most kills, etc…) would also be a good occasion to showcase the mercs and their skins.

(KeMoN) #3

I was just about to say that. You could display the best 3 (global, not only in team) in close up after the match.(a little like in Warface).

(jazevec) #4

Something as simple as merc portraits reflecting their lead/iron/bronze/silver/gold status could help. All you’d need to do is to change the background color. People would see gold, silver etc each time they press Tab.

(Mustang) #5

The “summary of objectives during countdown before the start of a match” should end with a per-team camera pan down to see all the mercs lined up and ready to go.

(Szakalot) #6

thats kind of what im pushing for, except lets ignore this obj summary altogether and just focus on the team and its swag!

(jazevec) #7

Why do you want to promote swag ?

(Szakalot) #8

you really have to ask it?

promoted swag - people want swag - people pay $$$ for swag

(prophett) #9

Separate skins from cards and add in 30+ skins with trading to kick start an economy.

(ZGToRRent) #10

I see nothing wrong in having ‘default rarity’ skin and special pattern cards to combine with loadouts :slight_smile:

And to have more #swag, we need player presentation in game review like in most of f2p shooters.

Examples: http://orig02.deviantart.net/28a6/f/2013/049/3/d/warface_victory_by_bacurok-d5vddkb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eI31P.jpg

(FireWorks) #11

Good thought!

Fully agreed, Id expect this to bring benefits to gameplay/team and the cash flow :slight_smile:

(Szakalot) #12

swag presentation in game review would be cool too, but imo its much more interesting to present it at map start:

• presenting to teammates is more interesting than showing opponents skins at game review
  • it makes players more team conscious
  • it happena while you care: game is over and half the server is quickly gone, at map start people are more likely to care

(FireWorks) #13

A problem I see with the map start in the current state of the game is the loading.

Way too often there are only two or three players actually there in the first spawn wave. I assume the others havent loaded yet, so I fear there would be some more drastic changes needed to have a show-off at start. Even if it would be the cooler solution.

On the other hand, the “we start a match with 2 players while there are 12 shown on the scoreboard” problematic needs a bit of tweaking anyways.

(Szakalot) #14

[QUOTE=FireWorks;539941]A problem I see with the map start in the current state of the game is the loading.

Way too often there are only two or three players actually there in the first spawn wave. I assume the others havent loaded yet, so I fear there would be some more drastic changes needed to have a show-off at start. Even if it would be the cooler solution.

On the other hand, the “we start a match with 2 players while there are 12 shown on the scoreboard” problematic needs a bit of tweaking anyways.[/QUOTE]

yup, there is nothing good about starting the map with only a few players on-board. Ideally map would load before lobby, with an extended warmup, so everyone who joins the server can be there for map start. FF-on during warmup would already make it a lot more palatable for those that have to wait.

Just because there is a problem that has to be solved, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t come up with ideas that benefit from its solution; esp. since this is definitely something to be solved, and not an issue that can be ignored.

(FireWorks) #15

[QUOTE=Szakalot;539943]yup, there is nothing good about starting the map with only a few players on-board. Ideally map would load before lobby, with an extended warmup, so everyone who joins the server can be there for map start. FF-on during warmup would already make it a lot more palatable for those that have to wait.

Just because there is a problem that has to be solved, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t come up with ideas that benefit from its solution; esp. since this is definitely something to be solved, and not an issue that can be ignored.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I made it look like I am against it. Id really love to have this system implemented sooner than later, I just wanted to point at some on the road.

I really hope someone takes note of your posts here, since they carry a lot of positive change for the game.