Friendly Projectile Collision

(Chris Mullins) #1

Hey all!

Just looking for a bit of feedback from you guys. A couple of updates ago we made a selection of Friendly Fire changes and introduced some new rules. One of these changes was we removed Friendly Projectile Collision when Friendly Fire was off.

For those that don’t know, with Friendly Projectile Collision off you can throw/fire grenades, heartbeat sensors etc through allies without them colliding with them.

We’re curious on how this has gone for you and if you have any feedback on this as a feature?

Thank you!

(Kl3ppy) #2

Switch FF on. Hitting a friend with heartbeat sensor/nade should not go through the player, it should bounce of.

(ZGToRRent) #3

In my opinion collision should always be on. It will add boost mechanic to maps like Chapel.

(poiuasd) #4

If model collision is off then projectile collision should be off too. It’s pretty annoying to have your nades drop to your feet because your teammate walked inside your model right when you’re about to throw the nade.

(Szakalot) #5

agree, having one but not the other is silly.

FF - on , model &projectile collision on

FF - off , model &projectile collision off

(Chris Mullins) #6

When FF is on so is collision to make it consistent.

(BomBaKlaK) #7

I’m all for FF , model & projectile collision always on !
That’s why we need server rental with both settings to make our own choices

(FireWorks) #8

I liked it a lot. No more nades bumping back cause someone ran right through you the moment you wanted to throw/shoot. Also the rage from others concerning this topic in the chat has gone, it more peaceful on the servers aside from the war going on.

Now switch the hitboxes from friendlies to their actual model. They still can block all your bullets even though you are shooting clearing over their shoulders etc. ATM it seems to be a huge box around them and it can nullify all your damage in corridor fights etc.

Also: +1 for friendly fire servers.

(prophett) #9

10 charssssss

(light_sh4v0r) #10

Yes, +1 for friendly player collision here too.
Yes it can be annoying if people walk in front of you, and it can lead to some hilarious moments when they catch your grenade, but in general it makes sense and it requires some additional positioning skills.

(PixelTwitch) #11

These attempts to make more consistency are so inconstant -.-

Yes its slightly less horrible being able to shoot though your players but at the same time its more frustrating to get used too when you cannot.

Personally what I would have expected to see would have been the ability to shoot/throw thought team mates that were within a certain range of me. Basically answer the problem of players walking through you without making it crazy easy and stuff.

Overall more issues with FF with deployables.
You should remove the collision from all deployables for at least 2 seconds after it gets put down to stop players from trapping themselves in competitive matches.

So many oversights with the changes…

(Demolama) #12

I don’t like this change at all because it gives an unfair advantage to nade users --they can exploit teammates as meatshields. For example say you are shooting at an Aura and she has a Fletcher right behind her. With this change you’ll just die from a Fletcher nade because he can shoot his nades through his teammate at you but you can’t shoot him because his teammate will absorb your damage. So now big bangs have an even greater advantage.

I think all players should be solid where nothing goes through them, including sniper shots. If there are worries about spawnblocking then just turn collision off for the duration of the spawnshield.

(jazevec) #13

When they made Friendly Fire OFF the default, it has led to more spam, especially from airstrikes, handgrenades and other explosives. You no longer had to restrain yourself around teammates.

Now they’re making projectiles fly through teammates. Guess what it will lead to ? MOAR spam! Rhino on healing station in front, two guys spraying through him. Now the only thing we need is tranclucent teammates for easier spam. Rest assured spotted (detected) enemies will be shot at through teammates.

I have an idea that will be consistent with SD’s direction. Make bullets fly through a friendly EV.

I wonder if Bushwacker turrets shoot through teammates now ?

An intelligent solution to allies running in front of you and wasting your ammo would be a beinghitsound. A sound that is played when you are hit by a teammate. That would be a reminder you’re an annoyance to teammates, and that you should watch your movement more. It would also make transition to “FF on” servers easier, as you would be taught good habits.

They solved the wrong problem.

(Demolama) #14

this idea of crap going thru teammates works well in TF2 because spam is all there is in that game… not so much in games that require aim. But the thing that bugs me the most is why is the sniper rifle the only weapon to shoot through teammates? Who at SD loves snipers so much that they thought it was a great idea to not only give them instagib headshots but also the unique ability shoot through teammates?

(riptide) #15

@demolama Sniper bullets have penetration, regardless of friendly or enemy models.

@shoe. As for the collision being off, it makes sense in pubs and bigger games. However, the question you really should be asking is “Do we like inconsistency?” I feel you know the answer to that. Just incase you don’t, it should be consistent and right now it 's not. Since collision is an obvious thing with FF on, it only makes sense that people get accustomed to that gameplay in ALL modes.

(Protekt1) #16

If you can walk through someone, it is probably best to allow shooting through as well. I’m not really partial to either but it is funny seeing how pixel gets his panties twisted over everything.

(fubar) #17

[QUOTE=PixelTwitch;539210]
Overall more issues with FF with deployables.
You should remove the collision from all deployables for at least 2 seconds after it gets put down to stop players from trapping themselves in competitive matches.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with the rest of your statement, this is not an issue. At all. If anything it promotes proper placement and positioning and gives you an extra layer of “abuse”. I love trapping people with ammo/healing stations or even turrets. Please don’t take it away from me :frowning:

(poiuasd) #18

But a huge majority of the playerbase will never even step on a FF on server so why should they get accustomed to that?

(Szakalot) #19

many would if they tried. the only opposition to FF are the doomsayers who claim you won’t leave spawn before getting teamkilled by a friendly airstrike. Once these people join an FF-on server, they might actually see what it is all about.

(poiuasd) #20

Yeah well currently the only FF on servers are pretty well moderated so griefing is not an issue but what would happen if there were unmoderated pubs with FF?