No Love for Execution?

(Kendle) #1

There’s no announcement on here but this weekend Execution made a brief return, I guess to test out some new mechanics and a couple of new maps (not sure, haven’t been around for a while).

I pretty much gave up on DB when it became apparent SD were never going to go back on the decision to make objectives class-less. For me the game lost it’s soul right there and then and became just another generic shooter. But I have been playing a bit lately, and it is an OK game, and there have even been moments, on some random 6v6 SW server (because there aren’t anything but random servers), where team-work has briefly snuck it’s head over the parapet, despite SD’s best efforts to make it a redundant concept.

So this weekend I fire up DB and notice there’s a bit of blurb about Execution. No mention on the forums here (and I never visit the Nexon site) but apparently there’s a significant change in that there’s only one bomb and it’s given by default to the highest ranking / scoring Engie on the team (which just so happened to be me most of the weekend!).

What’s this? The “objective guy” is back? Team-mates (mostly) sticking together, because there are only 2 places to go? Plenty of Medics, because it’s one life per round and Phoenix can revive himself, so takes on hugely more importance (I’ve certainly been revived more this weekend than in the previous few weeks I’ve been playing again). It’s almost like that old ET feeling, without there even being objectives or re-spawns (though of course with symmetrical spawns the spawn system is fundamentally broken in SW / Obj anyway).

I appreciate Execution is not to most people’s taste around here, but it works amazingly well in DB. It might be a straight CS rip-off but the Merc system and their abilities adds a dimension to the bomb / defuse game mode that other games don’t have. I can see this being a very successful game mode, and if it were played 5-v-5 I can even see it becoming a very successful competitive game mode.

I would say that it can get repetitive after a while, especially as there were only 2 maps, but 15 minutes of meat grinding the first objective in SW / Obj is repetitive, and not in a nice way. I had a lot of fun this weekend, the first time in a long while in DB. Look forward to the next Execution weekend. :slight_smile:

(Mustang) #2

Haha yea, I also found it amusing that they “improved” their own gamemode by allowing anyone to perform objectives, but “improved” the CSGO clone mode by doing it how CSGO does it, which ironically is a pull in the exact opposite direction.

(Glottis-3D) #3

never gonna even try execution.

i hope for stopwatch to become more objective-oriented, like it was before it became class-less.

Only engies can repair/defuse
Only Snipers can Hack
5 mercs pool instead of 3

voila, the game is back on track, everyone happy, and just wait for map improvements.

(Kendle) #4

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;539183]i hope for stopwatch to become more objective-oriented, like it was before it became class-less.

Only engies can repair/defuse
Only Snipers can Hack
5 mercs pool instead of 3
[/QUOTE]

I would hope for that too, but I can’t see it happening. I get the reasoning behind SD’s decision, but it threw the baby out with the bath water IMO.

As Mustang points out, it’s ironic (some would even say hilarious) that to get the true oldskool objective mode feeling you have to play the game’s non-objective game-mode. :slight_smile:

(Glottis-3D) #5

its not only ironic, it is sad.

(PixelTwitch) #6

Could have been so much better…

(Szakalot) #7

it will be!

(Demolama) #8

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Glottis-3D again.

(riptide) #9

Yeah, I agree! Those maps could have been tweaked for Obj/SW, including the introduction of command post control points. That would have been a massive improvement. Wait, we are talking about execution mode. Nevermind, carry on.

(Kendle) #10

So really not a lot of love for Execution then :slight_smile:

I should also mention the 2 maps in play at the weekend were both blockout maps, but they were very good, the Canal map in particular is a really really good layout for bomb / defuse, with some high spots and long range views for sniping and passages for flanking.

I think the Rhino + Sparks combination is rather too OP for one-life though, but then I suspect it’s pretty OP in Obj as well (Sparks hiding out of the line of fire being able to revive Rhino so fast he hardly hits the ground between dying and being back on his feet).

(ZGToRRent) #11

Canal was 4th objective of Trainyard/Camden, maybe that’s why.

(DarkangelUK) #12

I love Execution and I know I’ll play that a lot more than I’ll play Objective or SW. Personally I can see that being the popular mode for competitions and ladders but i think I’m alone in that thought.

(Kendle) #13

I think you (we) are probably alone on this forum in that thought, but this forum isn’t the vast majority of people who’ll play DB, and I suspect many who’ve never played an SD title previously would consider Execution the de-facto competition mode, as it’s basically CS, I just think the Mercs / abilities adds a whole new dimension to bomb / defuse and SD may well have inadvertently created a very successful formula with this.

(DarkangelUK) #14

I was shouting that exact sentiment many years ago in closed alpha, I’m glad they ignored the nay sayers and pushed ahead with it, could be their silent winner.

(Bangtastic) #15

I kinda enjoy Execution too. But why should I play execution, when I can play Counterstrike :x

For the last objective Chapel, remove milk jugs and replace it with c4 carryable

(DarkangelUK) #16

[QUOTE=Tast1c;539261]I kinda enjoy Execution too. But why should I play execution, when I can play Counterstrike :x

For the last objective Chapel, remove milk jugs and replace it with c4 carryable[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not but they’re both completely different experiences.

(Kendle) #17

[QUOTE=Tast1c;539261]I kinda enjoy Execution too. But why should I play execution, when I can play Counterstrike :x
[/QUOTE]

I think that’s a reasonable question, the answer to which depends on whether you’re already playing CS or not and at what level. I suspect if you’re currently playing CS at a high enough level you’d be more concerned with how transferable your skills are, and with DB’s gun-play being based around low damage tracking aim rather than high damage reflex aim you might not be that interested.

However a one-life game mode that includes Medics who can revive, deployables, considerably more explosive damage etc. throws up a whole host of different scenarios IMO. A lot depends on the final product of course, how many maps, how good they are etc. but I think Execution has enormous potential.

(Szakalot) #18

agreed, its much more about team engagements and less about positioning

(PixelTwitch) #19

I would like to argue that the only reason that is the case right now is because people are playing it wrong.

(DarkangelUK) #20

That’s the beauty of emergent gameplay, there is no right and wrong way, just less/more successful ways of doing things