My hopes for DB, and therein lies the problem...

(DarkangelUK) #1

I’ve been trying to figure out what’s been bugging me recently about DB, I mean the mechanics of what I should enjoy in a game are there, yet a lot of the time I’m not enjoying myself and I think I’ve finally figured out why… I spend more time ‘hoping’ than ‘knowing’.

I hope this server doesn’t say full when I try to join
I hope I’m on attacking when I join
I hope it’s not near the end of the round when I join
I hope even half my team know what they’re doing
I hope there isn’t a cheater
I hope this kickvote passes if there is
I hope the server doesn’t empty as soon as this match ends
I hope this isn’t another lead loadout card
I hope this rare card has a loadout I want to use
I hope I’m not forced to go medic again because we don’t have any
I hope we don’t have 3 Vassili’s on our squad while attacking
I hope matchmaking is somewhat even
I hope one of our team doesn’t quit during a MM game
I hope my binds don’t reset after this update
I hope I hope I hope

Every step of the way from finding a server, to joining a team, to selecting a merc, to playing with others, to opening cases is a trial in pure hope and will. I’m constantly hoping things will go well, and I have very little control over my experience in DB.

Dare I say it but a lot of these problems could be solved by privately run public servers with their own unique names, admins and regular players… a common place to gather, get to know and play with a like minded few and help shape a better experience for ourselves, you just don’t get that with generic random servers and random players. My experience mirrors all of the other random pubbing games with match making and a constantly flux of new players and faces ever changing and mixing.

I just ‘hope’ that I can have more control over my experience in the near future…

(BomBaKlaK) #2

Please be an adult and stop whining ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I hope a lot to, and I still waiting for some more …

(Violator) #3

I know where you’re coming from :slight_smile: The ‘attacking’ bit depends on the map though, Underground is usually a win, Bridge usually a loss. Here’s some more -

I hope half the team doesn’t rage quit after we were fullheld in round one of stopwatch
I hope that high pinger doesn’t play Vassili
I hope that there will be an SDK :wink:

(Runeforce) #4

I hope the ‘gib-window’ after a revive connects, will be confined to melee damage.

(light_sh4v0r) #5

I agree on many accounts.

(alphabeta) #6

I agree on every count; but didn’t we have similar hopes in ETQW?

(KeMoN) #7

Replying for awareness and support!
Dedicated servers are the #1 thing I want to have realized! It is just way too anonymous right now.

(Beermachine) #8

Agree completely on public servers run by responsible admins would add much to the DB experience.

While clans, private servers, PUG’s etc ultimately provide a somewhat similar experience, I think DB is lacking a middle ground between casual and competitive for players who don’t want the hassle of IRC, joining a clan, waiting in PUG lobbies, etc but do want a more serious game than public provides, and the option to shape that experience to your own preferences (FF + Collision on being a prime example).

Competitive is supposed to fill that void, but lacks any sense of personality, camaraderie or admin control (balancing teams, kicking cheats / exploiters / abusive behaviour etc) that a good community run server provides.

(Runeforce) #9

DB has nothing BUT dedicated servers. You mean you want publicly available privately run dedicated servers on a machine of your choosing.

(Beermachine) #10

Given the fact DB is a F2P and it’s monetisation system, I can’t imagine this ever being a possibility.

I’m surprised that Nexon themselves don’t offer server rental, with custom server naming, game setup options, basic admin controls to kick / ban, preferred player slots and all the usual bells and whistles that clans enjoy. They keep control while simultaneously increasing their revenue stream.

(Demolama) #11

Player1: Hey guys lets meet up on West Coast #2121212 on Wednesday and start a community
Player2, the following week: What was that server number again?
Random Player 3: gg (player leaves server and never comes back)

Yup that is the community we are building right now… a bunch of random people who show up on a random server for 1 or 2 games only to never be seen on the same server again. Even if a group of people tried to make it so that the same people came to the same server to help build relationships there is still the problem of nothing unique or anything that stands outs that makes this West Coast server different than others.

What has become of the fps genre? Who thought it was a good idea to try and build a gaming community around forums and other webstuff rather than actual game play?

(DarkangelUK) #12

It doesn’t have to be run on a ‘machine of your choosing’, Black Ops managed to run privately run ranked public servers that were rented from a dedicated host no problem at all. The user still has the control you would expect such as naming and admin control. The option is very much possible, it’s just not high on SD’s agenda at the moment and I think that’s a massive mistake because the experience is quite sour at the moment unless a lot of ‘hopes’ fall your way.

(Loki.) #13

Agree with OP…

Sadly, i have little faith based on ETQW…
Since the hopes we had was about half that list…
And look how that turned out…

Nexon seems to be just as bad as Activision—

:frowning:

(Runeforce) #14

I agree, it would be a great for getting a sense of the community, if clans could lease server names on public servers, and be admins of those servers.

(alphabeta) #15

If you are listening SD/Nexon; we will pay for servers we can name and staff. Servers where like minded players can gather on a regular basis and have fun together. Let me repeat; we will pay you money!

(Demolama) #16

They know people want to help or are willing to pay for services, but I believe there is a legal issue involved. People have volunteered to make maps and other stuff for several years now, but SD can’t or won’t budge.

(DarkangelUK) #17

From the Nexon stream notes

It is also unlikely we will ever be able to rent public servers. (Note: Servers for events/tournaments are supported by Nexon, however private servers are to “take the place” of renting public servers)
(source)

Nail in the coffin for me, this more or less confirms that what’s bugging me about the game will not change, therefore I don’t want to endure being pissed off more than having a good time. Possibly Execution will keep me playing but I can see my standard game time being quick bursts and the odd game here and there. I’m deeply saddened by this, previous games were built on your ‘favourite server’ and your own little community within a community… this is a large part of the experience wiped away, it’s not only about the gameplay itself.

(potty200) #18

Having servers you can rent would increase my willingness to play by 500% There is no community feeling without them, just random servers on another random Free 2 play game.

(Domipheus) #19

Got to agree, I rarely play unless I see someone on my friends list playing, but it’s still not the community server feeling. Will throw money at screen to contribute to a set of rented servers for a community I like.

(Kendle) #20

I’ve been playing again a little bit lately, so I’ll comment on this (been reading the forums but don’t feel connected to the game anymore enough to comment on anything usually) …

For me the no.1 thing missing from the game is still lack of class specific objectives, this “anyone can do anything so no-one does” is still my biggest bug-bear and the main reason DB will never be my no.1 game, but following very very closely at no.2 is privately rented public servers, which are essential to any attempt at community IMO. I cannot even begin to conceive of how this game will survive it’s first year of final release (or even it’s first few months) without this one simple thing that gamers have always taken for granted.

Starting a private match (with 5 players) might just about ensure a competitive community evolves, but not being able to rent your own public ranked server is just beyond crazy as far as the longevity of the public game is concerned, in my ever so humble opinion.