Not DB related. Network issues.

(ispellcorrectly) #1

The is WAY off topic, but I wanted to bring it to you guys, because we’re a clever bunch here.

I have been a having a problem with connecting to the internet recently.

THE PACKAGE;

Virgin Media
150mb XXL
Actual Speed Usually :- http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4537933667

So about a week ago, I started having problems with the power levels on my Super Hub 2 (supplied by VM).
I was getting a maximum speed af around 5mb.
So after contacting them they sent a VM Tech guy out to fix the problem.
He replaced my equipment and boosted my signals, only for us to test the connection and it giving us the following; http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4537902670

At the same time as the above low speed, on my phone I was getting 100mb, Which is good over wifi.

When phoning VM, they told me it had to be something on my computer.

Specs are below, it’s under 3 months old and I watch what I am downloading. Since the original problem with the power levels I hadn’t installed anything.

Coming off the phone to VM, very frustrated, I began to troubleshoot. After a while I put my router into ‘modem mode’, and the speed is great again, getting 160mb.

I was wondering if anybody would know of any kind of software which would block a router’s connection and not a modem connector.

All drivers are up to date, cables are brand new and the mobo network adapter cannot be malfunctioning as I am getting full speed in modem mode.

VM also sent me a new router out after I called them and told them Modem mode works great, but the problem is still there, even on a new router.

Please help :confused: Doing my nut in, I have a network drive (plugged in or not, makes no difference - btw), I really want to get back to using it.

Thanks in advance.

(Mustang) #2

You’re right it is off topic, moved to the correct section of the forum.

(edxot) #3

did you try to use another computer in your lan ? maybe you could ask a friend with a laptop to try the speed test while in router mode. that way you could make sure that the problem was not related to the computer.

or maybe use an old machine with the network adapter in promiscuos mode. to make sure there isn’t “extra” traffic around.

or do the same as i do (i am lazy, btw). which is: Not one more cent to the software/hardware industry until this mess gets fixed.

(stealth6) #4

What’s the LAN situation? Do you have multiple routers on your network? Is your pc connected to your super hub with a wire or wireless (or something else)?

From your description I don’t think it’s a problem with your pc or your connection from your house to your ISP, so that leaves whatever is in between.

(VodkaPower) #5

how about fibre optic or ethernet packages VM offer in some regions ?
generally wireless isn’t meant for any serious use and usually can’t.

(LucyLu27) #6

Hey,

I can see this is an old thread so not sure if you’re still having problems. I used to be with Virgin Media but had loads of problems with them, got so mad that in the end I got a new account with this company, and bought a whole new server with them. No complaints so far :slight_smile: