Upgrading GPU

(Kl3ppy) #1

I’m thinking about upgrading/switching my CPU.
Currently I have the AMD Radeon HD 7870 Black Edition and I was thinking about getting a Nvidia GTX 970.

Motherboard: ASRock z77 pro4
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4,4 Ghz
RAM: 8 GB, have to check when back home
PU: Also have to check, but I think it must be between 500 and 600 Watt

The CPU and the other stuff should be fine for the nvidia GTX 970, but I’m wondering if the performance increase is big enough to justify 300€ investment.

Any thoughts? Recommend the upgrade or shall I keep my current system?
My main intention is to get rid of the AMD GFX. It would be handy if I can upgrade the GPU and have a performance boost :slight_smile:

Also does anyone have details about the noise and the temperature? Would be cool if I can get a noise reduction.

Currently looking at the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming.

Removed

(Kl3ppy) #3

Thnk you for the Feedback. Do you have the Nvidia 970 GTX? From reviews I got the impression that the 970 GTX has almost the same level of Noise, Temperature and Power Consumption as my Radeon HD 7870.

The monitors are expensive, maybe later the year I might consider buying, maybe when I finished my studies :smiley:

Asus Strix is the most silent series you can buy atm. Standard/default coolers are noisy. MSI and Asus have really good coolers. Asus Strix and MSI Frozr. Asus Strix is the best. Both Frozr and Strix cost about 20 euro more than 970’s with default coolers, but are totally worth it, to avoid noise for the 3 or so years you have the card.

Asus Strix 970
idle: 0 db
light gaming 0 db
heavy gaming: 29 db

7870 standard cooler
heavy gaming: 40 db

Check prices for used 120Hz monitors. Or try a 120 o 144Hz screen at a friend (in a game with 120/144fps like CSGO or Quake Live). Then you might skip the 970 and get a used or new high hertz sceen instead :smiley:

(.Chris.) #5

I recently got an Asus Strix 970 GTX and yes, it’s very quiet, I like how it only uses the fans when needed. The only issue I’ve had with the card since upgrading is I keep getting driver crashes with GTA5, hasn’t happened with any other game yet but when I got the card specifically for that game to start with it was a bit disappointing :frowning: Hope don’t run into same issues with Witcher 3 and Batman when get around to them (got them free with the card!)

(edxot) #6

Since your avatar talks about science …

your mouse is too heavy
your screen is too slow
your mousepad is not made of plastic (really ???)

if you are concerned about power consuption or noise, just underclock the thing

(VodkaPower) #7

R390 ? R9 Fury Nano ?
or better wait for Pascal or R4xx GPU’s from AMD.

[QUOTE=VodkaPower;538115]R390 ? R9 Fury Nano ?
or better wait for Pascal or R4xx GPU’s from AMD.[/QUOTE]

Electrical noise from hell. RIP AMD

(VodkaPower) #9

its funny since you mention “AMD” and “electrical noise” in same context, not “Nvidia” as it should be :slight_smile:
cuz its major 970 and 980 feature ) and perhaps the only.

(Kl3ppy) #10

Upgrading my GPU is on hold now, some money shortage hit me :smiley:

Thank you for the suggestions :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=VodkaPower;538398]its funny since you mention “AMD” and “electrical noise” in same context, not “Nvidia” as it should be :slight_smile:
cuz its major 970 and 980 feature ) and perhaps the only.[/QUOTE]

Yes that is true, though can be solved by selecting Asus Strix version of 970 or 980.
Have not seen this being solved on AMD side