Rampant Hacking and What Can Be Done About It

(beanar) #1

Ok, so I’ve dumped about 150 hours on Dirty Bomb, and It was fantastic at first! I really love this game and I am hoping to begin playing competitively whenever I can, but there is one issue that’s making this game really hard to enjoy, and that is the hacking. It seems like every other game I get in has a hacker. It is a waste of everyone’s time, and It just makes me feel useless, because I can’t kick them, I can’t easily view their steam profile to report them, and it just seems like there is a total absence of an anti-cheat in the game. I feel like this is something that, even without a quality anti-cheat system, could be fixed because of the overall good community this game has. Implementing a system of reporting the suspected hacker in game, where the reports go straight to splash damage or whoever else to be reviewed would be a decent system. Also looking into a system where the community issues judgement, similar to Counter Strike : Global Offensive’s Overwatch program, could prove beneficial. Another possible method could be granting players the ability to access the suspected hacker’s steam profile from the in-game TAB scoreboard would allow for accurate and easy reporting. Maybe implementing a completely new and improved anti-cheat system would do the job. The possibilities are endless, but what I’m begging for, and I hope the community here agrees with me and backs me up on this, is just a solution to this helpless feeling when faced with a hacker. Players would certainly make good use of any methods, and whatever can be done to clean up the in-game community and integrity would help this game tremendously. It benefits everyone, from low level casuals, to competitive players who devote their time to improving and making the game into something more than it is now. So please, if you support me on this, please respond here and help me get splash damages attention on this matter so we can clean up Dirty Bomb’s battlefields (no pun intended). :smiley:

(Protekt1) #2

They already know of the issue and have been working on a new AC they won’t talk about because they say talking about it helps the hackers start working on a way around the AC.

(mccrorie) #3

They better do something. Earlier tonight there were 3 hackers on the same server acting as a group. They had names like ‘Test ACC #16’ ‘Test ACC #6’, I kid you not.

(mti_) #4

Dont they have this fancy system that tracks kills?
Could be of help. If many people report a guy (or he gets single reports in a couple games) the system could pull the data from that match and check for (at least) obvious stuff. “The guy killed 3 people with hs in 2 seconds more than 5 times a match?” That would at least get rid of the obvious ones that just push a button for everyone to die (not even shooting any bullets).
This is currently the biggest issue I have with the game for sure and should really be top priority!

(Nail) #5

they have “echo” afaik, it’s part of what is used atm for proving hacks, but requires someone actually go check

(ispellcorrectly) #6

Update the game every 2 days with 1mb update. The coders would get bored eventually!

(Mustang) #7

From what I heard hackers were able to use some UE3 hacks from other gamers without any changes, so at least currently it doesn’t seem that game updates would effect their ability to inject.

(mti_) #8

The system would have to detect cheats live though. There is hardly any benefit for the average player if cheaters get banned post game. This being a f2p title they would be back 5 minutes later. It would only be meaningful for higher profile players that would have a hard time re-entering the community (tho not impossible as shown by ET).
It sure feels like the number of cheaters has picked up significantly. Its a snowball effect where everyone who gets mad at cheaters can go online and download public UT hacks that will work without modification and any chance of being busted.
Interestingly enough “I cheat cause everyone cheats” is the most popular excuse atm and one that we heard to no end during the days of ET.
How this could not have been an issue that came up before releasing this product to the public is beyond me.

e: Ill add (because im not sure if it has been mentioned in this specific thread yet) that the best short term means of at least getting somewhat of a grip on things would be to let us bring up their steam profile from the score board (a la valve games).

(Bloodbite) #9

personally I am not inclined to use the Nexxon forums to report hackers by name (I have enough forums and stuff in my life eating up time), nor do I really see the point of doing it there (by name).

I do, on the other hand, Shift TAB during that match, track down that player’s profile and report them to Steam. You’ll often find these accounts have already received a VAC ban before. Some of those Test ACC #whatever-number that were in use this weekend, some of those profiles outright stated on their page that it was a test account for hack/aimbot testing. Why they felt the need to fill in those details and make their profile public… I don’t know.

But why do people hack in multiplay games anyway?.. it’s a sad and pathetic existence I am glad I will never truly understand the motives behind.

For the time being… take the time to report them on Steam. Find their profile, next to “add friend” click “more” and then “report”… choose “Suspected Cheater” and just do a brief description of what you see “aimbot insta headshots, everytime and often from impossible angles”… something like that.

(Nail) #10

as the game doesn’t use VAC, reporting to Steam is likely to have no effect

(Bloodbite) #11

I figure it doesn’t hurt. They are often repeat offenders with other games that do use VAC, and may contribute to having their account restricted/deleted.

Perhaps in a magic fantasy land enough complaints could provoke Valve to open a dialogue with Nexxon as to dealing with the issue.

Until SD or Nexxon implement some means of reporting players within the game client, during a match or a “recent players played with” list, Steam reports make the most sense (what little sense that may be).

(Nail) #12

reporting through the Nexon hoops is actually somewhat effective

(Szakalot) #13

hard to say, when they don’t tell you if your report did any good. Even if Nexon does say that they are banning reported players.

(Kl3ppy) #14

Reading this I assume that I was lucky so far. Didnt notice any obvious hacker so far. I played Obj/Stopwatch and Competitive Games.
During the closed Beta I saw several hackers, I guess the AC didnt really improve since then.

(k0k0nat) #15

Yep, this. You get a “thank you and please rate our support”-mail, but IDK if anything ever happens.
Needs more clarity.

(ispellcorrectly) #16

I don’t think this would make much difference as the developers don’t have the manpower to go through each individually.

Maybe, introduce something like Punbkbuster. Where if a player is reported (he/she) wouldn’t know, and their next game would provide a screenshot of their gameplay to the developers, easily knocking out the ESP/wallhack users.

I read somewhere else which somebody posted, that the game should read how many headshots a person gets… I think this is a bad idea, as it’s soo easy to get headshots in this game, on mostly every kill I get, I get 1,2+ headshots. This would mean any decent player would be banned without a doubt.

Maybe it would be an idea to pick out a few of the more known players to review screenshots/videos.

Why not take a look at how the Black Ops 2 recording is. It’s a very complex system which records each game played, a player can go into their ‘theater’ and view any player during that game on the video.

(Nail) #17

please don’t mention Punkbuster, it ended being horrid

(ispellcorrectly) #18

I don’t mean using punkbuster as a AC, I am using it as an example of what could be done.

It’s gotten so bad, I was just in a game where a Rhino was actively trying to shoot a bush through a wall on terminal at the last objective and when I called him out on it, he didn’t seem to care… his reaction was, “and…?”

(sunshinefats) #19

As I recall, the theatre mode in BO2 was just an extra they added for fun, and did not actually play a role in getting cheaters banned as it was not 100% accurate all the time. It was only really helpful in aiding you if you weren’t 100% sure someone was cheating before you reported them and you wanted to see if they did something obvious. On the other hand though, you could report players to both steam and 3arc, and they would ban people if enough reports came in(3arc that is, steam largely doesn’t seem to care). Problem with that system was that they required a certain number of unique reports within a certain timeframe or they did nothing, and a lot of people just didn’t recognize cheaters or didn’t bother to report them. Still, I give 3arc credit that they did, at least, have people on staff to follow up on people who got enough reports, and I did witness quite a few cheaters get banned.
At any rate, I do agree with your point that we need some sort of multifaceted system in place to allow the DB community to aid in getting rid of the bad apples. As someone mentioned, it’s been discussed at length before, but as of yet the devs have made very little effort other than to tell us they were “working on it.” In one discussion a dev simply came in and said, report it to nexon, and closed the thread as if to shrug it off or it wasn’t really their problem…so I’m not overly encouraged thus far that they truly consider it a top priority. At least not yet.

(beanar) #20

So, another idea that I think could be useful is implementing a system similar to Titanfall’s, where if a person is caught hacking, they are placed into a pool where they can only find games that consist of other hackers, thus taking them out of fair normal matches. The genius behind this method is that the hacker never knows that they’ve been compromised, so they keep on hacking to their little heart’s content! Also they probably wouldn’t even realize it due to the general trend that most hackers are pretty bad at the game. In my opinion, this might be one of the greatest anti-cheat systems out there, and it might be good to give it some thought!