can you please not release another update with massive changes 1 hour before a cup

(Kroad) #1

This isn’t to say that I dislike the change, because I do like easier gibbing, nor am I posting this because I feel like I lost in cup (i played with mix that was put together at last minute and did terribly), but I do feel like it’s a pretty ****ty move to release such an update 1 hour before a cup because teams don’t have time to get used to it, adapt their strategies, etc. Considering this is a dev sponsored cup, it would have been a lot better if it was released the following day so as to give players time to get used to it.

(Nail) #2

maybe the 10,000 people not in the cup don’t want to wait ?

(poiuasd) #3

It would be easier to postpone a cup instead of postponing a game update.

(Kroad) #4

Cups are weekly events that are always at the same time, while updates are irregular and they literally announce them a day before they happen, which sort of sucks for all the people that prepared for a cup at that exact time.

I don’t think there’s even been a single update on a tuesday before, all previous updates have been on wed/thurs i believe, which works fine on account of no cups being on those days.

I feel like if Splash Damage wants to support these cups, it’s great that they give prizes but I sort of expect them to not screw over the participants by releasing an update changing a core mechanic 1h before the cup that they’re supposed to be supporting (especially since I don’t think anyone had any idea that you would be able to gib players after they were revived, there was literally no way of preparing it)

(Nail) #5

it’s a beta, things change

(spookify) #6

What Cup…
Exactly…
I am still baffled that there are cup in this ever changing game…

This should actually be a good thing. Better game!

Point, Shoot, kill, gib, plant…

(ispellcorrectly) #7

People will complain about anything!!

(Protekt1) #8

Oh, look at that.

(Kroad) #9

[QUOTE=Protekt1;533748]Oh, look at that.

[/QUOTE]

Thing is, the devs supposedly want this game to become a competitive success (=succesful cups) and obviously want to support the cups as they provide prizes, yet simply throwing credits at cups isn’t the only thing that’s needed, making sure that teams can practice properly for the cups is needed and changing core gameplay mechanics an hour before a cup basically renders a lot of the practice useless as strategies need to be changed. There’s also the possibility that maintenance goes on for longer than expected (which often happens), in today’s case this would have possibly cancelled the cup, and the worst thing to do when trying to make a competitive shooter is to annoy the competitive playerbase.
If this were to happen for dirtycups, that would be 3k viewers getting screwed as well (the finals today were not enjoyable to watch, PKD’s strats obviously did not work well with the new revive mechanics) , which is by no means a small number, and if it was a cash prize cup then such an update could possibly make a team lose out on money they would have otherwise obtained. Obviously this wasn’t the case here, but there are still prizes on the line, teams have still prepared expecting to be able to revive easily and there were still a couple hundred viewers screwed over, and possibly some competitive players that felt the same way.

It’s not even like the patch was complete, vital bug fixes needed for sparks have not been released yet, even though one of them (ev/generator damage) doesn’t appear like it would be too hard to fix, and I doubt we’ll be seeing these fixes for a while as SD haven’t been releasing many hotfixes, leaving bug fixes to the big updates (meaning sparks might only be fixed in 2 weeks time, wonderful).

My point is basically that Splash Damage are trying to create a competitive shooter, they are trying to support a competitive scene, yet supporting a competitive scene means ensuring that the cups run as smoothly as possible, which I don’t believe happened today (as a sidenote, they also did not respond to LLL’s demand for prizes for last week’s cup which was a shame).

(ispellcorrectly) #10

I see only you complaining about this. Show us a petition with all the people from the cup, saying they want YOU to speak up for them… until then, I think you’re on your own. Updates are vital and that’s one of the main reasons ET:QW died. It’s just a game, adapt and have fun! I am sure everybody is in the same boat, yet you don’t see the forums outraged with people complaining…

(Protekt1) #11

[QUOTE=Kroad;533752]Thing is, the devs supposedly want this game to become a competitive success (=succesful cups) and obviously want to support the cups as they provide prizes, yet simply throwing credits at cups isn’t the only thing that’s needed, making sure that teams can practice properly for the cups is needed and changing core gameplay mechanics an hour before a cup basically renders a lot of the practice useless as strategies need to be changed. There’s also the possibility that maintenance goes on for longer than expected (which often happens), in today’s case this would have possibly cancelled the cup, and the worst thing to do when trying to make a competitive shooter is to annoy the competitive playerbase.
If this were to happen for dirtycups, that would be 3k viewers getting screwed as well (the finals today were not enjoyable to watch, PKD’s strats obviously did not work well with the new revive mechanics) , which is by no means a small number, and if it was a cash prize cup then such an update could possibly make a team lose out on money they would have otherwise obtained. Obviously this wasn’t the case here, but there are still prizes on the line, teams have still prepared expecting to be able to revive easily and there were still a couple hundred viewers screwed over, and possibly some competitive players that felt the same way.

It’s not even like the patch was complete, vital bug fixes needed for sparks have not been released yet, even though one of them (ev/generator damage) doesn’t appear like it would be too hard to fix, and I doubt we’ll be seeing these fixes for a while as SD haven’t been releasing many hotfixes, leaving bug fixes to the big updates (meaning sparks might only be fixed in 2 weeks time, wonderful).

My point is basically that Splash Damage are trying to create a competitive shooter, they are trying to support a competitive scene, yet supporting a competitive scene means ensuring that the cups run as smoothly as possible, which I don’t believe happened today (as a sidenote, they also did not respond to LLL’s demand for prizes for last week’s cup which was a shame).[/QUOTE]

Sucks but that is life. Things don’t go according to plan so you adapt or lose.

(Nail) #12

so let me get this right, I may be misunderstanding.
They have these “cups” every week, expect Splash Damage to supply prizes which actually only benefit DirtyCups and moan when actual business takes precedent over their little ego fest ?

" (as a sidenote, they also did not respond to LLL’s demand for prizes for last week’s cup which was a shame)"

maybe demand was the problem

btw, the 10,000 playing were happy

(jazevec) #13

There are two ways to handle it well:

1. Make players actually own the game and do what they want with is, including patching it when they want and setting up dedicated servers.

Since you’ve decided against #1, the only option left is:

1. Tell the tiny minority of competitive players when an update is going to hit. “Competitive to the core”, pffft!

(Kroad) #14

[QUOTE=Nail;533766]so let me get this right, I may be misunderstanding.
They have these “cups” every week, expect Splash Damage to supply prizes which actually only benefit DirtyCups and moan when actual business takes precedent over their little ego fest ?[/QUOTE]
yes these cups that get up to 3k viewers, many of which have not played DB before and might try it, are unhappy when an “update” sort of ruins the practice and preparation put into it - (not hard to put quotation marks around a word).
it’s quite hard to have a competitive shooter without the competitive aspect, I don’t know why you would call these “cups” “ego fests”, they are a cup by definition, idk what you see wrong wit hthem

[QUOTE=Nail;533766]
" (as a sidenote, they also did not respond to LLL’s demand for prizes for last week’s cup which was a shame)"

maybe demand was the problem[/QUOTE]
maybe I’m missing something here, but are you saying that LLL shouldn’t be asking for prize pools? I mean, splash damage have provided prize pools for the 2 other LLL cups, they obviously want to provide prize pools, it’s sort of like they forgot about last week’s cup.

[QUOTE=Nail;533766]
btw, the 10,000 playing were happy[/QUOTE]
they would have been just as happy if it was released tomorrow, i don’t even think of this update as being complete so they could definitely have waited a couple days and added some bug fixes/weapon balancing

you seem to just have a problem with cups in general, thing is Splash Damage like them and are trying to support them, my point is that supporting them goes beyond just giving some credit keys.

(ispellcorrectly) #15

yes these cups that get up to 3k viewers, many of which have not played DB before and might try it, are unhappy when an “update” sort of ruins the practice and preparation put into it - (not hard to put quotation marks around a word).
it’s quite hard to have a competitive shooter without the competitive aspect, I don’t know why you would call these “cups” “ego fests”, they are a cup by definition, idk what you see wrong wit hthem

So what you’re saying is, you and the rest of your advertising team won’t put on a good enough show for new potential players?
Wouldn’t there be an edge on the competition still? Even with the minor updates? Aren’t you and the ‘Pros’ Pro enough to overcome such an issue and advertise the game properly??

If that’s the case, count me out of Cups… and I am sure many others too!

maybe demand was the problem

It’s good business to provide the first couple/few of prize pools, but, as generous as that is, be f**kin happy you have a game to play on that you didn’t have to pay for in the first place!

they would have been just as happy if it was released tomorrow, i don’t even think of this update as being complete so they could definitely have waited a couple days and added some bug fixes/weapon balancing

True, but then SD wouldn’t have had this thread to laugh at! You Try-Hard!

you seem to just have a problem with cups in general, thing is Splash Damage like them and are trying to support them, my point is that supporting them goes beyond just giving some credit keys.

Anything is better than nothing right? How about a free game update which you didn’t pay for, better still… A free game?

(jazevec) #16

Oh the drama. Slight changes to the game and the cups are RUINED. Competitive players are more fussy than prima ballerinas.

(stealth6) #17

I agree with Kroad. SD should have communicated with the people hosting the cup that this was going to happen or moved the the patch to after the cup. Unless the competitive crowd is not the target demographic, but I think it is since that would be a good idea (look at CS:GO…)

(ispellcorrectly) #18

The cups aren’t even secure yet, nobody knows if people are legit… wtf you complaining about?

(Kroad) #19

[QUOTE=ispellcorrectly;533782]So what you’re saying is, you and the rest of your advertising team won’t put on a good enough show for new potential players?
Wouldn’t there be an edge on the competition still? Even with the minor updates? Aren’t you and the ‘Pros’ Pro enough to overcome such an issue and advertise the game properly??

If that’s the case, count me out of Cups… and I am sure many others too!

It’s good business to provide the first couple/few of prize pools, but, as generous as that is, be f**kin happy you have a game to play on that you didn’t have to pay for in the first place!

True, but then SD wouldn’t have had this thread to laugh at! You Try-Hard!

Anything is better than nothing right? How about a free game update which you didn’t pay for, better still… A free game?[/QUOTE]
“game is f2p so stop whining” is a dumb argument, if I don’t like a f2p game then I won’t play it even though it’s free, being f2p doesn’t make you immune to criticism. I’ve spent money on the game too, can I complain now?

That’s a completely different problem that SD/NX should really be fixing soon, unrelated to updating 1h before a cup.

“slight changes”
that is not a slight change

EDIT: http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/45086-Phantom-Feedback update wasn’t even complete

(ispellcorrectly) #20

“game is f2p so stop whining” is a dumb argument, if I don’t like a f2p game then I won’t play it even though it’s free, being f2p doesn’t make you immune to criticism. I’ve spent money on the game too, can I complain now?

Explain how my post is whiny? I was pointing out that you’re whining about something which is not really relevant to the majority of the community. Oh wait, you’re the only one complaining about this.

Yes, it would have been nice, but they didn’t, it isn’t like a post from just 1 person is going to change this… I refer to my earlier comment - get a petition signed, then compare it to the amount of players overall.

That’s a completely different problem that SD/NX should really be fixing soon, unrelated to updating 1h before a cup.

The point was :- Why are you soo serious about this game while its still in beta and doesn’t have a decent AC?

Let’s not try to turn this around on the people who’re not supportive towards your “whining”.