flat textures need to be allowed again

(Kroad) #1

I think it’s quite obvious at this point that optimization isn’t going very well, and it’s even been stated on dev stream 2 days ago that optimization is going slowly.

Considering that this game doesn’t perform too well: it stutters, has memory leaks and most struggle to get good fps, and that unreal engine is known for poor performance, I really don’t think you should be limiting cvars that massively boost performance because of an imaginary advantage.

(BAMFana) #2

Flat textures make little if any difference to fps compared to the almost-flat textures currently allowed. Dirty Bomb is cpu limited, not gpu limited.

(poiuasd) #3

^ this

Let’s see what happens now that the HUD performance issues were discovered.

(Kroad) #4

Not everyone is throttled by their cpu.

There’s also the issue of vram memory leak, which quite a few people suffer from). Currently, game becomes unplayable for me after 10 minutes, but I didn’t notice anything like this when using flat textures (I imagine that flat textures would use less vram).

(Szakalot) #5

[QUOTE=Kroad;533073]I think it’s quite obvious at this point that optimization isn’t going very well, and it’s even been stated on dev stream 2 days ago that optimization is going slowly.

Considering that this game doesn’t perform too well: it stutters, has memory leaks and most struggle to get good fps, and that unreal engine is known for poor performance, I really don’t think you should be limiting cvars that massively boost performance because of an imaginary advantage.[/QUOTE]

the advantage is not imaginary

/thread

(Kroad) #6

[QUOTE=Szakalot;533079]the advantage is not imaginary

/thread[/QUOTE]

so why did some competitive players choose not to use flat textures (including chicken) because they preferred 32/64?

hint: its because it’s a matter of preference, some find flat textures better and some don’t

(BAMFana) #7

[QUOTE=Kroad;533078]Not everyone is throttled by their cpu.

There’s also the issue of vram memory leak, which quite a few people suffer from). Currently, game becomes unplayable for me after 10 minutes, but I didn’t notice anything like this when using flat textures (I imagine that flat textures would use less vram).[/QUOTE]
Gotta have a pretty bad gfx card to be gpu limited with low settings in this game. I’ve got a three year old cpu and 2 year old gfx card, and still get rock solid 150 fps after configging.

No idea about your other issues. Memory leak seems like something that would screw you over regardless of settings.

My personal opinion is that texturegroups should be locked to 128 minimum, but I’ll happily play with 32/64 until then.

(Kroad) #8

[QUOTE=BAMFana;533101]
No idea about your other issues. Memory leak seems like something that would screw you over regardless of settings.[/QUOTE]
it’s vram memory leak (which was supposed to be fixed but devs seem to have given up on it), the lower the graphic settings the slower it takes to leak of course

pretty sure a lot of people get this, its especially bad for me because I have a gtx970 and the memory leak forces it to use the slower 0.5gb partition, making game stutter horribly. With 1/2 textures, i didnt notice memory leak because it took a lot longer and so i could play stopwatch matches without needing to restart at halftime

dont see why you think 128 should be minimum though, there isn’t much difference in terms of visibility between 32/64 and 128

(Smooth) #9

We definitely need to fix the memory leak issues but we’ll likely be locking the minimum texture lods to 256 at some point in the future.

Any lower begins to provide a distinct advantage by removing too much from the environments, making things easier to spot.

EDIT: Also generally textures have a minimal impact on performance overall, the issues with performance in Dirty Bomb are elsewhere.

(BomBaKlaK) #10

[QUOTE=Smooth;533107]We definitely need to fix the memory leak issues but we’ll likely be locking the minimum texture lods to 256 at some point in the future.

Any lower begins to provide a distinct advantage by removing too much from the environments, making things easier to spot.

EDIT: Also generally textures have a minimal impact on performance overall, the issues with performance in Dirty Bomb are elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Good news !

(fubar) #11

[QUOTE=Smooth;533107]We definitely need to fix the memory leak issues but we’ll likely be locking the minimum texture lods to 256 at some point in the future.

EDIT: Also generally textures have a minimal impact on performance overall, the issues with performance in Dirty Bomb are elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Don’t you think 256 is a bit extreme? I had expected something in the 32/64 area. :frowning:

(BomBaKlaK) #12

I think locking some kind of “advantage” commands is the way to go, just set a minimal setting for max FPS and that’s all.
if not we all need to play with modified super low cfg to balance, and i’m bored to play in picmic 15 …

(Rémy Cabresin) #13

[QUOTE=BomBaKlaK;533176]I think locking some kind of “advantage” commands is the way to go, just set a minimal setting for max FPS and that’s all.
if not we all need to play with modified super low cfg to balance, and i’m bored to play in picmic 15 …[/QUOTE]

256 is pretty high tho, I’m testing it now compared to the 32 i had before and it feels alot smoother somehow performance wise. That said I do like the clean look so maybe 128 for the middle ground? I doubt that at 128 things are very ‘unfair’ compared to high quality users

(Kroad) #14

what do you mean by this?

and i don’t really see how 32/64 provides an advantage, i can obviously see that 1/2 makes the game look very different compared to default settings but 32/64 doesn’t really seem to remove anything compared to 256, would it be possible to see some screenshots showing stuff that’s being removed by 32/64?
I don’t really like this whole advantage thing because you could say that playing on low settings is an advantage compared to high settings etc (since high has fog, motion blur, etc), every single game is better to play on at low settings, as long as the setting is in the game then I don’t see anything wrong with it (since most users will not be using configs)

(Szakalot) #15

[QUOTE=Kroad;533178]what do you mean by this?

and i don’t really see how 32/64 provides an advantage, i can obviously see that 1/2 makes the game look very different compared to default settings but 32/64 doesn’t really seem to remove anything compared to 256, would it be possible to see some screenshots showing stuff that’s being removed by 32/64?
I don’t really like this whole advantage thing because you could say that playing on low settings is an advantage compared to high settings etc (since high has fog, motion blur, etc), every single game is better to play on at low settings, as long as the setting is in the game then I don’t see anything wrong with it (since most users will not be using configs)[/QUOTE]

which is why work is being done to provide the minimum low setting in the mainmenu. with that setting being 256, apparently.

(jazevec) #16

Just play Canal or Dome!

(Kroad) #17

yes, but why 256 when i dont see how it gives such an advantage

(Szakalot) #18

its not really about how much of an advantage it is.

the more simplified the background, the easier it is to pick up opponents. it might be 0.01% better, but i hope you can at least agree that point:

simpler background - better ‘skill’

and now that we are arguing ‘how much’ is ‘too much’ - Id say anything that makes the game look like pre-2003.

256 seems to cover that pretty well

(fubar) #19

[QUOTE=Szakalot;533208]its not really about how much of an advantage it is.

the more simplified the background, the easier it is to pick up opponents. it might be 0.01% better, but i hope you can at least agree that point:

simpler background - better ‘skill’

and now that we are arguing ‘how much’ is ‘too much’ - Id say anything that makes the game look like pre-2003.

256 seems to cover that pretty well[/QUOTE]

Hi,

This is a game from 2010.

(Kroad) #20

[QUOTE=fubar;533212]Hi,

This is a game from 2010.

[/QUOTE]

disgusting, i can’t imagine such a game ever doing well competitively