Prototype Showcase: Canal Execution

(Chris Mullins) #1

For this weekend, starting at 17:00 UTC, Friday, July 3rd and ending 17:00 UTC, Monday, July 6th, the prototype game mode Execution will be available for play in marked Dirty Bomb servers, featuring a new map, Canal. This mode brings in a style of gameplay familiar to FPS veterans, while maintaining Dirty Bomb’s unique flair.

Event Duration

[ul]
[li]London (BST, UTC +1:00): 18:00, Friday, July 3rd - 18:00, Monday, July 6th[/li][li]Los Angeles (PDT, UTC -7:00): 10:00 AM, Friday, July 3rd - 10:00 AM, Monday, July 6th[/li][li]Sydney (AEST, UTC +10:00): 3:00 AM, Saturday, July 4th - 3:00 AM, Tuesday, July 7th[/li][/ul]

About Prototype Showcase

Dirty Bomb will always have something new in development, and whether it’s a new map, mode, or something else there’s no replacement for the kind of feedback that our players can provide. As such, we will occasionally give limited sneak peeks of upcoming content in its prototype state, in order to ensure that it is of the highest possible quality when it is fully released.

Please remember that these features are in a prototype state. While everything should be playable and largely functional, there will be bugs, there will be imbalances, and there will be parts that are clearly unfinished. We are looking forward to what you think of this very different way to play Dirty Bomb, so please experiment and try out any strategy you can think of so that we can make Execution even better.

Map: Canal

The big change between this round and our previous Execution test is that we’re unloading a new Execution map on you, Canal.

This map is much more heavily focused on close quarters combat and verticality, giving flanking and stealth. As hard as it can be to secure a bomb site, its going to be even harder to hold onto it and defend your plant. As with other Prototype maps, Canal is in Blockout State, meaning that it is completely untextured and lacking many other details, so the level geometry can be improved more easily, so don’t expect a gorgeous map quite yet.

About Execution Mode

//youtu.be/F1u03xW48qs

In Execution Mode, teams are trying to win the most out of 12 rounds. To win a round the attacking team needs to eliminate all enemy players or bomb one of the objectives; for the defenders to win the round, they have to stop them.

Execution Mode is played out over 12 rounds, first to win seven wins the match. In each round, the Attacking team is tasked with planting and defending C4 at one of two bomb sites, while the defenders must stop them from doing so, be it through defusing planted C4, or just killing anyone that tries to plant a bomb.

Win Conditions

A round is won if:

Attackers

[ul]
[li]The attackers kill all of the defenders[/li][li]The attackers destroy one of the two objectives[/li][/ul]

Defenders

[ul]
[li]The defenders kill all the attackers and no C4 is currently active[/li][li]The defenders defuse a planted C4 before it goes off[/li][li]The round time expires[/li][li]The first team to win 7 rounds is declared the victor for the match, ending even if all 12 rounds have not been played. If each team wins 6 rounds, it is declared a Draw. Individual rounds cannot end in a draw.[/li][/ul]

Team Sizes

Matches will be 7vs7 for this test.

Match Time & Rules

Each round has a time limit of 2:00. If C4 is not planted at one of the bomb sites before that timer expires, the Defending team wins the round. Only one C4 charge can be planted at a time, and the other bomb site becomes disabled once it is planted.

Once killed, players do not respawn until the next round. Players that are incapacitated but not finished can still be revived or helped up to continue fighting.

Half Time

After 6 rounds, the attacking and defending teams switch sides.

HUD

The objective HUD is in the top left of the screen and shows:

[ul]
[li]The round timer[/li][li]The round number[/li][li]The number of players alive on each team[/li][li]The number of rounds won by each team[/li][li]If the bomb has been planted[/li][li]The bomb’s fuse progress[/li][/ul]

(PinkFrog) #2

Clicking on the map picture causes an error.

EDIT: Thanks for the map update! :slight_smile:

(Volcano) #3

likewise, pretty sure its just camden phase 4

(DarkangelUK) #4

W00t can’t wait, nice to get a new map as well

(Szakalot) #5

sweet!

10char

(PinkFrog) #6

I wonder what the right area on attackers side is for. Vicious sniping?

(Chris Mullins) #7

It may or may not be the end section from Trainyard :wink:

(PinkFrog) #8

In which case we seem to be in a time-line where the attackers of trainyard didn’t do a good job :wink:

(Chris Mullins) #9

Or they stole the DNA from the train and now are moving on to blow up the next bits :wink:

(shibbyuk) #10

We can haz moar maps!!

I wondered what that bit on the RHS was for, too. So, planning a co-op campaign mode? :wink:

(Exedore) #11

:eek:

(alphabeta) #12

Thanks! We need more maps!

(Volcano) #13

how come you didn’t keep execution as tdm rather than this attempt at S&D

(Exedore) #14

S&D is better suited to how the Mercs are balanced, especially in regards to objective proficiency. The other wrinkle is that TDM maps need very different layouts to Execution/Objective/Stopwatch maps.

Something TDM-ish isn’t off the table, though.

(Szakalot) #15

[QUOTE=Exedore;533334]S&D is better suited to how the Mercs are balanced, especially in regards to objective proficiency. The other wrinkle is that TDM maps need very different layouts to Execution/Objective/Stopwatch maps.

Something TDM-ish isn’t off the table, though.[/QUOTE]

:penguin:do-mi-na-tion!:penguin:

(Volcano) #16

i sure hope stopwatch will still be the focus for competitive rather than S&D. you had a fair few maps already made for tdm granted they were just sections of the objective maps cut in half and in some cases added some other areas. wouldn’t hurt to have tdm it will appeal to a lot of people who just want to mess around

(prophett) #17

[QUOTE=Exedore;533334]S&D is better suited to how the Mercs are balanced, especially in regards to objective proficiency. The other wrinkle is that TDM maps need very different layouts to Execution/Objective/Stopwatch maps.

Something TDM-ish isn’t off the table, though.[/QUOTE]

I’ll always prefer stopwatch over any other game mode, but the s&d mode is pretty fun. I think Canal is one of the best maps in the game (it really suits s&d). Now we just need some of that for Stopwatch D:

(Glottis-3D) #18

yeah, SW is a much deeper mode in itself. execution, however, is still a fun mode to stop by and play couple of game here and there.

(prophett) #19

Maybe there is room for both. I personally would never load up the old-style execution - never liked it.

(Glottis-3D) #20

well, if they keep maps like canal and overground exlusive to execution, i can easily see myself playing this mod, just because maps are great.
but i hope SD will add those 2 maps or their iterations into the SW mode, because that would be a BOMB!!