Twitch Devstream Feedback mostly @shoe.

(BioSnark) #1

Streams are a really poor place to get information from because they are raw video without any sort of annotation for questions being asked and a lot of other content mixed in.

Feels like many of the same questions are getting asked every time. Likely the information is transmitted to the few hundred listeners and ends there because previous. If the stream is primarily a venue for silliness with a few of the community then it might be alright. I don’t pay that much attention to that aspect and so won’t judge. If the goal is to communicate information between the developers and the community then the repeated questions in different streams and the similar questions on the forums and other social media indicate that it isn’t working well.

So, if your goal is communication, then I’d suggest some other means. Perhaps an updated stream FAQ, turning one of the weekly streams into a live Q&A on a text format like forums/reddit/etc., annotation of stream videos with the questions, a brief text summary of stream Q&A, or any other format that isn’t dead-ending with a few hundred viewers/listeners.

(Anti) #2

[QUOTE=BioSnark;532557]Streams are a really poor place to get information from because they are raw video without any sort of annotation for questions being asked and a lot of other content mixed in.

Feels like many of the same questions are getting asked every time. Likely the information is transmitted to the few hundred listeners and ends there because previous. If the stream is primarily a venue for silliness with a few of the community then it might be alright. I don’t pay that much attention to that aspect and so won’t judge. If the goal is to communicate information between the developers and the community then the repeated questions in different streams and the similar questions on the forums and other social media indicate that it isn’t working well.

So, if your goal is communication, then I’d suggest some other means. Perhaps an updated stream FAQ, turning one of the weekly streams into a live Q&A on a text format like forums/reddit/etc., annotation of stream videos with the questions, a brief text summary of stream Q&A, or any other format that isn’t dead-ending with a few hundred viewers/listeners.[/QUOTE]

I think we agree with you that there should be a quick to use ‘on demand’ way of messaging what gets talked about on the forums and in dev streams. We’ve briefly talked about it here at SD and hope to be working on a solution fairly soon, be it an FAQ, dev blogs or something else.

(DarkangelUK) #3

I always thought the dev stream was some tongue in cheek, fun games where they play a bit and have a very casual Q&A session… basically just a fun stream all round. Quite hard for fluffy gimp to keep up now the viewer count is way higher hah

(jazevec) #4

Video streams and podcasts are the favorite way of communication for lazy developers. They don’t have to do anything. All the burden is on the receiver. They’re hard to scan, there are no titled sections, you can’t use CTRL-F for text search, you can’t quote them, web crawlers can’t index them.

(Chris Mullins) #5

Hey,

We are working on a more ‘legit’ stream plan, but with everything else going on we haven’t had the chance to really implement anything as of yet. I will be posting up the notes I’ve taken down from stream into a forum post and will update it accordingly. It’s just a matter of time now.

shoe.

(BioSnark) #6

That all sounds quite helpful. Looking forward to it.

(jazevec) #7

There’s the psychological thing with talking that it feels like you’re doing something, but actually aren’t. And a dev stream is just talking with a camera on.

(Nail) #8

so is the news, what matters is the source