Sparks/Revivr/Reviving in General

(buckem) #1

Hey folks,

Came here to bring up some issues with Sparks & the Reviving mechanic. Firstly I’ll bring up the Reviving issue that Sparks can abuse. There seems to be an invincibility period between killing someone and them hitting the ground. Not being able to deal damage makes it incredibly hard to gib players with Sparks being used on the opposing team. With sparks being the revive sniper she’ll bring up said player within that invincibility period, and you’ll need to down them again. Of course you can say, kill the medic to solve the problem, but lets be honest, a good sparks is nowhere close to where the player just died. It should be slightly easier to gib, my suggestion is removing the invincibility period so you can continuously do damage. Sparks invokes the dreaded Revive chain as seen here… https://youtu.be/rc6z7qYCMIU

Next up, the Revivr… firstly, the damage done to secondary objectives as well as EV’s is broken as its dealing massive amounts of damage, but I believe that’s been talked about to death. How much damage the Revivr does to enemy players is also laughable as a headshot will kill & gib enemy players. With only 3 seconds to a full charge people are using the Revivr as a primary gun, with 2 other guns in reserve. Even just tapping enemies with the Revivr will do what seems like too much damage for something that is supposed to rez your teammates.

Personally when I see sparks on my team I’m not going to be medic as sparks will be doing the majority of the reviving, leaving me to spam health instead… woohoo? I don’t understand how the Revivr can bring someone up to 100% health in 3 seconds from range when a regular medic has to run to your location, charge & hit you with paddles. It doesn’t make sense to me that the Revivr rezzes faster than paddles would (since you have to run to downed players with paddles and not get killed in the process)

Sparks is a good Merc, but desperately needs balancing, nothing drastic, just tweaks slightly here and there would be nice to see. 128 Hours logged since Open Beta, but lately haven’t played much because of the issues mentioned above. Its been real hard finding an enjoyable match recently. Not to mention the influx of hackers, considering its a Free 2 Play game that’s bounding in popularity there should be a good way to easily report hackers such as viewing steam profile from in-game scoreboard or a better Anti-Cheat. Effectively using the community + a good anti cheat would be nice, but utilizing the community to assist is a cheap and effective start, wouldn’t it be nice to open up the scoreboard, right click on someones name and ‘Report Player’ was there? Great game, have been having fun with it, just needs a bit of attention here and there. More frequent updates would be nice, but I understand you can only push out builds so often. Thanks for your time and such.

Buckem

(bananers) #2

I agree with what is being said and even stated it before. And while others may not agree, I do have experience in game balance for competitive games where the competitive scene was more valued than the average person who knows not so much about said balance.

In that video you can clearly see the invincibility in action. Right when he knifes the proxy who is down/going down, she is revived right after the knife took place by sparks. So something clearly must be done to change this. Maybe make the revive gun have to fully charge before being shot and not a semi charge for full hp with the perk for hp gain on revive?

Another thing to note as stated above is that when I am a sparks, no one else wants to go medic, even when asked for another medic besides myself. This proves to be an issue as a half decent/semi decent sparks can get her team to victory simply by staying back and reviving/sniping with her revive gun. This causes team balance issues.

Sparks is a good design in theory. She just needs to be tweaked in different ways that make her not more valuable than a paddle medic.

Another note i recently heard is that dirtycups is possibly banning her from competition until she is fixed. Doesn’t this come up as a red flag to you guys about sparks?

Hopefully something is done to balance her out. I do enjoy this game but she simply kills it for me. I love this game as much if not more than blacklight retribution which i spent over 340 hours on. I’d just hate to see it be treated just as BLR did. Zombie studios did not care about their game. They did not listen to balance changes and only ever updated to include 1 map. Please don’t make this game something I and many others will regret putting time into.

Thank you

(kenpokiller) #3

As much as I love Sparks the gun is way subpar compared to Aura’s defibs when it comes to reviving teammates, switch, charge, etc
takes more time to heal someone
AKA u die

Please don’t nerf Railgun Rambomed

(buckem) #4

Defibs cant revive from spawn, and defibs can’t kill&gib people effectively from range and sure players cant be healed very well as med packs are small, but those are mostly to keep yourself alive so you can revive others to 100 health as soon as they die.

(Szakalot) #5

[QUOTE=buckem;532215]Hey folks,

Came here to bring up some issues with Sparks & the Reviving mechanic. Firstly I’ll bring up the Reviving issue that Sparks can abuse. There seems to be an invincibility period between killing someone and them hitting the ground. Not being able to deal damage makes it incredibly hard to gib players with Sparks being used on the opposing team. With sparks being the revive sniper she’ll bring up said player within that invincibility period, and you’ll need to down them again. Of course you can say, kill the medic to solve the problem, but lets be honest, a good sparks is nowhere close to where the player just died. It should be slightly easier to gib, my suggestion is removing the invincibility period so you can continuously do damage. Sparks invokes the dreaded Revive chain as seen here… https://youtu.be/rc6z7qYCMIU

Next up, the Revivr… firstly, the damage done to secondary objectives as well as EV’s is broken as its dealing massive amounts of damage, but I believe that’s been talked about to death. How much damage the Revivr does to enemy players is also laughable as a headshot will kill & gib enemy players. With only 3 seconds to a full charge people are using the Revivr as a primary gun, with 2 other guns in reserve. Even just tapping enemies with the Revivr will do what seems like too much damage for something that is supposed to rez your teammates.

Personally when I see sparks on my team I’m not going to be medic as sparks will be doing the majority of the reviving, leaving me to spam health instead… woohoo? I don’t understand how the Revivr can bring someone up to 100% health in 3 seconds from range when a regular medic has to run to your location, charge & hit you with paddles. It doesn’t make sense to me that the Revivr rezzes faster than paddles would (since you have to run to downed players with paddles and not get killed in the process)

Sparks is a good Merc, but desperately needs balancing, nothing drastic, just tweaks slightly here and there would be nice to see. 128 Hours logged since Open Beta, but lately haven’t played much because of the issues mentioned above. Its been real hard finding an enjoyable match recently. Not to mention the influx of hackers, considering its a Free 2 Play game that’s bounding in popularity there should be a good way to easily report hackers such as viewing steam profile from in-game scoreboard or a better Anti-Cheat. Effectively using the community + a good anti cheat would be nice, but utilizing the community to assist is a cheap and effective start, wouldn’t it be nice to open up the scoreboard, right click on someones name and ‘Report Player’ was there? Great game, have been having fun with it, just needs a bit of attention here and there. More frequent updates would be nice, but I understand you can only push out builds so often. Thanks for your time and such.

Buckem[/QUOTE]

agree:

• gibbing should be easier
  • it should take longer to charge-up a revive

disagree:

• sparks revive gun is not OP (it only instagibs on HS against very low HP mercs!)
  • damage on EV is fine

maybe:

• maybe sparks shouldnt have getup loadouts

(kenpokiller) #6

Also 80hp
People seem to forget that.

(buckem) #7

80hp and fast moving, in the same group of Mercs as Aura, Kira; that’s fine. Long range REVIVING is her thing, chipping in for damage is fine, but to have so much DPS for a ranged medic doesn’t make much sense. You can easily hit someone once in the body and again in the head for the instagib with its recharge time.

EV damage with the Revivr is not on par with AR damage, especially with the requirement of ammo.

Also; how is it Sparks can revive teammates when downed, but you can finish enemies with the Revivr? Shouldn’t you technically revive them? bahaha

(Szakalot) #8

[QUOTE=buckem;532231]80hp and fast moving, in the same group of Mercs as Aura, Kira; that’s fine. Long range REVIVING is her thing, chipping in for damage is fine, but to have so much DPS for a ranged medic doesn’t make much sense. You can easily hit someone once in the body and again in the head for the instagib with its recharge time.

EV damage with the Revivr is not on par with AR damage, especially with the requirement of ammo.

Also; how is it Sparks can revive teammates when downed, but you can finish enemies with the Revivr? Shouldn’t you technically revive them? bahaha[/QUOTE]

considering the charge-up time necessary to do any damage; the slow movement when charging the gun, and the looming battery-drain I’d argue that it is anything BUT easy to reliably score hits with the revive gun. It definitely scales well with high-skilled players, but its not like sparks can replace vassili for long-range domination

(eitsch0r) #9

Actually THAT (reviving enemy half-dead bodies while trying to gib them with the REVIFLE) might be a really interesting twist to her abilities :stuck_out_tongue:

(buckem) #10

charge up time is literally the same as lining up your shot and letting go, with the speed of merc you can easily avoid/jump while short bursting the Reviver. The battery drain can be cancelled by swapping to knife/etc, or just shoot it off and recharge. Once you get a decent charge into someone you can one tap them with a short burst for a kill. Most gameplay I’ve seen of Sparks is using the Reviver as primary & Machine pistol as secondary. I wouldn’t say Sparks could replace Vassili as he only has its uses on certain maps/spots anyway, nobody should main Vassili, but has his uses at times. EX Chapel

(Szakalot) #11

dunno, takes a while to fully charge the gun, you are moving very slowly while doing so; and only have a short window of time to discharge the weapon effectively. I’d have to see more extremely good players use it, so far I’ve seen some good plays, but nothing compared to how deadly the same players would be with typical SMG/M4 weapons.

(buckem) #12

let me show you Draceus using sparks. He’s a medic on PKD as you may know from the winner of the DirtyCups.gg final. http://www.twitch.tv/draceus/b/671430271 He’s very skilled :slight_smile:

(Szakalot) #13

sure; watched a few mins, I definitely stand by the statement that any skilled player with Sparks would still be more deadly with most (if not all) of the other mercs

(buckem) #14

Its a given that a skilled player should be competent with any other merc; nobody said otherwise, that same skilled player can point out potential problems with a merc, or gameplay as they have the capabilities and skills to do so.

(Szakalot) #15

im not saying competent, im saying MORE competent than sparks.

Just because someone can rek pubs with Arty, that does not make him NOT the weakest merc in the game atm.

(AssortedStuff) #16

Revive chains - annoying as hell :mad: (…sorry for not having contributed constructively :frowning: )

(buckem) #17

Halllloooo?? SD are you listening? Love the Splash Damage way of operating… absolutely no communication on issues other than “We’re looking into it.” Yet streams for Dirty Bomb Monday - Thursday… whats the point? lol zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(Nail) #18

they’ll only listen if you buy them cake

you may need to throw in a pie too

(BioSnark) #19

From what I can recall (because I was multitasking), one of the developers, possibly shoe., said that revive(?) mechanics may get another alteration in the next patch/update. Alternatively, I could have been asleep and having a weird dream. Check the next patch notes to find out which and I agree that there’s some lack of communication which is both fairly standard and annoying.

(Smooth) #20

This is correct, in the next update it will be a little easier to gib bodies and you’ll also have a small window where they are vulnerable as they are standing up after a revive.