Lets talk Rhino

(Szakalot) #1

Flavour intro:
Just played an awesome min lvl 10 7v7 on underground, on attack (thanks again for the minlvl10 servers. I really hope they stay, as I don’t see them as separating the community, just giving the good players a place to gather - as I expect they will acquire a reputation for ruthless playing; its also the only server I ever saw a votekick against a hacker go through).

Excellent players on both teams, enemy Auras kept spamming HP stations in different locations, throwing our attacks off guard, enemy proxies spamming mines and using them as close-combat grenades, sparks on my team doing epic revives; generally DB at its best, as far as pubs can be concerned. We’ve got held on the first obj, and in large fault due to

Rhino on the enemy team. Classy Nitro+Unshakeable loadout, allowed said Rhino to walljump into firefights, quickly closing distance and shredding anyone in vicinity. Unshakeable soft countered our Fletchers (myself included) as two perfect stickies would only deal 160, instead of juicy 200hp.

Imo, Nitro perk is a little too strong; the halved acceleration allowing rhino to remain very mobile, and removing his otherwise glaring weakness of being stuck in one position.

It also becomes apparent that the initial accuracy of the minigun is deadly, allowing rhino to headshot anyone at close-mid range with the first haze of bullets; finishing them off with a second salvo of bodyshots.

While Rhino’s weaknesses and situational play might make him tricky to use in 5v5 comp, I find his potential extremely difficult to play against, esp. with multiple medics as backup. The amount of damage he can put out is just unparalleled, and the serious HP requires a team effort to bring him down. However, with all other factors in both teams being equal that makes Rhino do much more work for a 7v7 or 8v8 team than any other merc.

I’d like his initial accuracy nerfed akin to fragger nerfs, to limit burst-headshot potential - would be okay I suppose to slow down the spread increase to balance it out; I also think Nitro is way too good at 50% reduction, and could easily be dropped to 20-25%, still allowing for more mobility; compared to other cards.

Would love to see some recoil on the thing as well, making it harder to handle.

(sunshinefats) #2

Yeah, Rhino can be tough to deal with I agree. I had a semi-related thread on this a while back, so I feel your pain trying to deal with him; that nitro perk sounds like a nightmare…luckily I haven’t run into it yet.
Also, considering the magnitude of nerfs done to fragger, I think it’s only fair rhino gets the same treatment lol :wink:

(ragnak) #3

Sorry but i wont agree with anything that calls for higher spread. He should be harder to play but not with RNG, i would rather see minigun to be more accurate and deal less damage than it being a RNG machine. I probably wouldnt mind recoil tho, his minigun is easier to control than a lot of guns so that is that.

(Szakalot) #4

my problem is rhino is too effective at mid-range; and I’m thinking of ways to address it:

• initial spread being higher is one way
  • recoil works too
  • so does severe damage falloff

(ragnak) #5

[QUOTE=Szakalot;532342]my problem is rhino is too effective at mid-range; and I’m thinking of ways to address it:

• initial spread being higher is one way
  • recoil works too
  • so does severe damage falloff[/QUOTE]

As long as its not more RNG im fine with it, more damage falloff with minor added recoil would probably be fine, then again i dont really consider rhino overpowered, at least not when he isnt on a healing station (which i hate with a passion and wish for a rework, one can dream =/ ).

(Szakalot) #6

if you turn a corner against a rhino into the open - you are dead. even at midrange.

this makes fighting rhino boring.

(jazevec) #7

If you reduce Rhino’s effective range, he will be even more pidgeon-holed into camping few specific spots on a map.

(montheponies) #8

Cant say rhino bothers me. Can’t really see the argument for constantly nerfing Soldier classes.

Either go back to RTCW and have everyone basically on similar health and weapons or accept that at times this will be an unfair fight.