ammo/medpack hotkeys

(Syd) #1

small irk, but wouldn’t it make sense for mercs that have a ammo/medpack and some other ability to keep the key (Q/E) uniform?

(Szakalot) #2

short answer: no

: P

(Mustang) #3

Long answer: yes :smiley:

(eitsch0r) #4

my answer: i’d appreciate it (keeping medpack/ammo on same slot) :penguin:

(BioSnark) #5

this stupidity is the reason I almost never play medic. ask a couple times every dev stream I watch.

(modded) #6

I agree, I’ve died needlessly a few times by trying to throw a health pack as Sparks and end up switching weapons. Dang muscle memory. :confused:

(Glottis-3D) #7

very long answer: Merc config.

So if you have Bush, Rhino, Nader, Sparks, Aura, Stoker, Saw, Sky, Arty, Kira in the equasion you cannot solve it with 2 universal keys for abilities.
because
Paddles=Revivr=Minigun=Grenade launcher=Airstrike=Molotov=Nades=Laser=Artilery=primari ability
and Medpacks=Health Station=Ammopacks=Ammostation=Turret=deployables = secondsary abilities

(BioSnark) #8

The context binds were nice in quake wars but that game had very significant control differences between gdf and strogg infantry, as well as different vehicles. Simply reversing the medic keys would work wonders for consistency and context stuff can be done in the long term.

(DB Genome editor) #9

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;532030]very long answer: Merc config.

So if you have Bush, Rhino, Nader, Sparks, Aura, Stoker, Saw, Sky, Arty, Kira in the equasion you cannot solve it with 2 universal keys for abilities.
because
Paddles=Revivr=Minigun=Grenade launcher=Airstrike=Molotov=Nades=Laser=Artilery=primari ability
and Medpacks=Health Station=Ammopacks=Ammostation=Turret=deployables = secondsary abilities[/QUOTE]
Not sure I’m following… You say it can’t be done with 2 universal keys but then proceed to divide the abilities in two perfectly logical groups than would make it work with those same 2 keys :confused:

If you think of it as primary / secondary ability, then yes it’s would be weird for Proxy and Bush to have secondaries but not primaries. But if you think of it as one key for combat abilities and one for deployables, then I see nothing wrong with the split you proposed. Well except maybe for Fletcher, but he really has one two-part ability so he will never fit in any grouping.

(BioSnark) #10

fletcher is odd because he uses 2 weapon slots for something that used 1 weapon in halflife 1.

(PinkFrog) #11

I can’t even remember how often i have tossed the airstrike marker between the legs of my team-mate right in front of me :smiley:

(Glottis-3D) #12

[QUOTE=Djiesse;532105]Not sure I’m following… You say it can’t be done with 2 universal keys but then proceed to divide the abilities in two perfectly logical groups than would make it work with those same 2 keys :confused:

If you think of it as primary / secondary ability, then yes it’s would be weird for Proxy and Bush to have secondaries but not primaries. But if you think of it as one key for combat abilities and one for deployables, then I see nothing wrong with the split you proposed. Well except maybe for Fletcher, but he really has one two-part ability so he will never fit in any grouping.[/QUOTE]

yes, i wasnt clear enough prbbly.

1. Bush will have his ability as secondary.
  2. Not sure about Proxy’s being a more deployable than a nade. can be both?
  3. Fletcher sticky is 99% a nade. (i.e. primary)

my point was to give player opportunity to make binds for each merc, if they are not satisfied with default primary/secondary binds

(DB Genome editor) #13

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;532119]yes, i wasnt clear enough prbbly.

1. Bush will have his ability as secondary.
  2. Not sure about Proxy’s being a more deployable than a nade. can be both?
  3. Fletcher sticky is 99% a nade. (i.e. primary)

my point was to give player opportunity to make binds for each merc, if they are not satisfied with default primary/secondary binds[/QUOTE]
I totally agree with the idea of customizable binds for each merc, I just wanted to point out the the groupings you proposed would still be a big step forward from the current chaos if SD doesn’t want to go that far.

(spectre_nc) #14

I supporto this.

(Pre edit post was a new thread merged here)

(DB Genome editor) #15

[QUOTE=spectre_nc;537254]Hey guys, first time poster, i’ll keep it short.

For consistency’s sake i’d suggest either swapping Sparks/Aura/Sawbonez keybinds or Skyhammer/Kira/Arty’s. So when you press E with Sparks you throw an health pack just like Arty would throw an ammo pack.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
That’s kind of been the point all along… Don’t care which way they swing it, as long as all packs and deployable stations are on the same button.

(Demolama) #16

What I did was create two config files, one that has the default binds and the other that swaps them for when I play medic. I then placed the two configs in steamapps/common/Dirty Bomb/ Binaries and then setbind two keys to exec the different configs. Works like a charm

(BioSnark) #17

Thanks a lot for posting, demolama. I was looking for where the exec pulled files a while ago and couldn’t find it.

Instead of that, I’ve been using the following:

Bindings=(Name="F1",Command="CharacterSlot 1 | VoteYes | setbind Q WeaponSlotFour 0 | setbind G WeaponSlotFive 0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=True,bIgnoreShift=True,bIgnoreAlt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="CharacterSlot 2 | VoteNo | setbind Q WeaponSlotFour 0 | setbind G WeaponSlotFive 0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=True,bIgnoreShift=True,bIgnoreAlt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="CharacterSlot 3 | setbind Q WeaponSlotFive 0 | setbind G WeaponSlotFour 0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=True,bIgnoreShift=True,bIgnoreAlt=True)

EDIT: Full explanation for people who randomly find this thread and want solutions and workaround context binds like in ET:QW:
Binds are in ShooterInput.ini which is located in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\my games\UnrealEngine3\ShooterGame\Config

All the binds you add will be under the [shootergame.sgplayerinputpawn] section which is used when being a player in a match or the [shootergame.sgplayerinputspectator] which is used when being a spectator in a match.

The above code does the following
Sets F1 to character slot 1, vote yes, rebind Q to weapon 4, rebind G to weapon 5.
Sets F2 to character slot 2, vote no, rebind G to weapon 4, rebind G to weapon 5.
Sets F3 to character slot 3 (which I reserve as the medic slot), rebind Q to weapon 5, rebind G to weapon 4.

WeaponSlotFour and WeaponSlotFive are the weapon bank equipment/ability slots. If you use quick ability binds, those are, instead QuickItem1Cmd and QuickItem2Cmd.

Demolama’s would be something like Bindings=(Name=“keyname”,Command=“exec filename.ini”) which is probably a better idea for seperate binds contextual for medics, fletcher, etc. I’ll have to try it whenever another patch wipes my binds.

Go forth and rebind sht.

(Demolama) #18

Np. I also struggled to learn this unreal engine stuff, coming from only using/ modding id tech engines. There were just too many key binding annoyances in dirty bomb, such as med/ammo pack or the voting tied to character selection, that I pretty much forced myself to learn how to overcome them

(Mustang) #19

Think this is the latest related thread over in the bugs section: Unified Quick Ability shortcuts?

(Smooth) #20

We plan to introduce per-Merc customization for these slots, it’s on the backlog.