Case opening roulette is rigged.

(Runeforce) #1

I see a lot of players raging about this, and how they constantly get ****ed by it. Angry Joe is a good example.
The problem is that the DB roulette is purposefully designed to be misleading to the user, which is unethical, unless the user is informed of the facts.
I suggest, when you first open a case, you have a window pop up that explains that the card is picked before the animation begins, so the roulette thing is just a presentation element. And also explain the drop percentage chance of the different rarities. The user can then either choose ‘I understand’ and the pop-up window will not display again, or a ‘dismiss’ button and it will pop-up again on the next case opening.

(stealth6) #2

Are people really that stupid?

Haven’t TF2 & CS:GO been doing this without an explanation for ages already? Well thinking about it, it’s probably because it’s not just a cosmetic item so people will get frustrated by it.

(Runeforce) #3

That TF2 and CS:GO uses the same method of disinformation, hardly makes it more justifiable.

(Protekt1) #4

Eh… rigged? Are you joking.

(Tomme) #5

The process is set from the time you open the case, not hard to figure that out when you can skip the animation process.

(Amerika) #6

The card is already determined before the animation begins. There is a very large ‘skip’ button at the bottom. If you press it then you still get the card you were going to get if you let the animation roll. Yes, the animation does seem to be a bit rigged to give the “almost got the good one” a bit too often, higher than odds should allow, but you can simply look at what your odds are in the SD website for each card type and hit skip. You’ll open cases faster and you won’t get stupidly upset like Angry Joe did who didn’t even attempt to understand how a system like this works.

(Szakalot) #7

regardless of what the odds actually are the ‘tease’ is wayyy too obnoxious and will piss a lot of people off.

(Exedore) #8

Our next release states the odds of each rarity on the case descriptions. It’s certainly a valid point.

(DB Genome editor) #9

Part of the issue is that the animation suggests much higher odds of getting rare loadouts than they really hard. Every time I checked (and believe me I dissected a lot of these looking for missing pics for my Genome…) there were 15 cards in the roulette animation, with at least 1 card present from each rarity level, including Cobalt, Gold and Silver. So at first glance, 25%+ of the cards in the roulette are Bronze or above, while in reality the combined odds of getting one of those is only 5%. If the roulette was actually a fair representation of the odds, you would see about a dozen Lead, 2 Iron and 1 Bronze+ some 75% of the time, only Lead and Iron the other 25% of the time.

I’m not saying I don’t enjoy seeing the shinny ones go by, but without clarifying the true odds it can be construed as misleading, above and beyond the fact that the card you’ll get is not only predetermined but also not even seen in the roulette until the very end. It’s literally like seeing balls #1-15 go in the lottery machine and #16 coming out :o

(Protekt1) #10

This is really all that we needed in game, even though it is available information elsewhere.

(PixelTwitch) #11

lol I said the exact same thing when they first released this system but was told I was wrong and it was fine…

O how a X million subscriber channel helps people change their mind.

(Szakalot) #12

[QUOTE=PixelTwitch;531352]lol I said the exact same thing when they first released this system but was told I was wrong and it was fine…

O how a X million subscriber channel helps people change their mind.[/QUOTE]

glory to minds being changeable!

(PinkFrog) #13

Also never underestimate the power of an angry, uneducated mob with pitchforkes and tweets.

(Shadwblade2652) #14

Angry Joe didn’t realize that bronze cards the only ones you need. He kept going for gold and then proceeded to complain about it. His review has no credence because he didn’t research anything/

(PixelTwitch) #15

Actually his review is more creditable due to the reasons you listed…

You need to think about just how many people jump into the game without doing research and then come to the same conclusion as he did and then leave without making a sound. Actually, just going though some of the review/impressions/case opening videos on YouTube, you find the MAJORITY of people seem to think this way. So, even if the system itself is not all that evil, it does not matter if that is what people perceive.

(Amerika) #16

Yup, as much as I disliked Angry Joe’s stream and then his edited video (which omitted quite a bit of the p2w stuff) it is a good gauge on how the average only semi-interested party might view the game. Without any research or understanding how all the systems work to gain credits or the options you have for mercs/loadouts then a person could very easily determine the game is scummy and p2w quickly. It would be nice of SD went out of their way with each menu item via help tips that constantly reminded people of options they have an tips on how to increase credit earn rates and things like that. I hope something akin to that is part of a future update along with more ways to monetize via cosmetics.

I’m not alone in that I would throw even more money at DB if there were cosmetics you could get that aren’t RNG. No way am I paying $5 for a case that is going to give me a random card of a random merc and not exactly what I want. I’m OK with the RNG way of getting cards to exist but I think those should be super low cost ways to get cards and you pay the more premium prices to get the exact cosmetics you want. Similar to how Bronze cards work now.

(Protekt1) #17

We all know AJ’s shtick is to act like an angry doofus. Hard to call that a good gauge of anything.

(Amerika) #18

Considering how many people I know who reacted very similarly I think it’s ballpark enough to get a good idea.

(Protekt1) #19

And how many people reacted that way? Or are you just making things up.

(Protekt1) #20

Reacted what way? Raging at the screen because the ticker didn’t stop where he wanted it to? lol