5 things that should be explained to newbies better

(Szakalot) #1

since open beta launch we see an influx of newcomers that are highly clueless about many elements of the game. If you could educate the newbies about 5 things, what would they be?

Here is mine:

• don’t be afraid to die, stop hiding and engage MOFOs FFS
  • don’t use ironsights, unless at really long range
  • aim for the head
  • don’t stand still, don’t let enemy aim for your head
  • only one person can repair/defuse at the same time (seriously, the amount of players triple-stack-repairing one C4 is hard to watch)

(Beermachine) #2

[QUOTE=Szakalot;530728]

• only one person can repair/defuse at the same time (seriously, the amount of players triple-stack-repairing one C4 is hard to watch)[/QUOTE]

As one of the new players, but an old hat with SD games, this one really gets my goat. Should have definitely been explained better, but is pretty obvious once you’ve a few games under your belt. Shocked by the complete lack of players who cover an arming / disarming engineer, and are happy to camp in a corner to see them getting killed rather than body blocking shots for them…

(spookify) #3

[QUOTE=Szakalot;530728]

• only one person can repair/defuse at the same time (seriously, the amount of players triple-stack-repairing one C4 is hard to watch)[/QUOTE]

All great points but what everyone is saying this is the worst!

(Glottis-3D) #4

just put back multidefuse.

(Szakalot) #5

the problem is that even though a teammate might be repairing it will still tell you ‘press f to repair’, and you hold the ‘f’ and you see the progress bar advance, even though its subtitled ‘teammate is repairing’. Would be nice if it gave some kind of ‘no-go road sign’ so people get a freaking clue

(Szakalot) #6

if you want multidefuse, we also need multi-plant, or a nerf to defusing speeds, or a buff to C4 fuse time

(Glottis-3D) #7

and change to ‘drop and arm’ mehcanix, ability to arm other people’s plants.
this is just better mechanix, than ‘stand like and idiot’

and more importantly:
all this gives more options to players = more deep gameplay = awesome.

(Szakalot) #8

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;530735]and change to ‘drop and arm’ mehcanix, ability to arm other people’s plants.
this is just better mechanix, than ‘stand like and idiot’

and more importantly:
all this gives more options to players = more deep gameplay = awesome.[/QUOTE]

nothing i disagree with, but i get a feeling they are too occupied to code this in, atm. You’d also need to introduce separate C4-cooldowns.

(Protekt1) #9

Multiple people completing the same objective was thankfully taken out.

More options? Not really. You just made engineers obsolete. That is less options imo.

(Glottis-3D) #10

[QUOTE=Protekt1;530737]Multiple people completing the same objective was thankfully taken out.

More options? Not really. You just made engineers obsolete. That is less options imo.[/QUOTE]

lol, man.

1. Going classless objects is what made engies obsolete.
  2. when you can help to last second defuse is OBVIOUSLY more options, comparing to when you can just watch engie to do it.
    when 2 engies are in the last 10 seconds to exploision. you can decide : 1st engie goes defuse, and hopes for cover OR you both clear the OBJ, even behind the point-of-no-defuse for 1 engie, and defuse c4 with miltydef.
  3. you can give the privelege to multi-do-something to engies only.

(Beermachine) #11

While I like the idea of multiple plants, it’d never work with the current system as once a hold is broken you’d have an objective absolutely covered with ticking bombs, especially if an engineer can speed arm all the other classes C4… Only really feasibly when only the objective class can plant.

(Szakalot) #12

it can be balanced with C4 cooldowns. Each merc can only plant one C4 every X seconds. Probably better cooldown for engineers.

But this discussion is moot, they went away from this system; and there is no sign they want to go back.

(Neo_TA) #13

afew things i would teach them is:

• to push with other team mates to objectives be supportive
  • when someone is down and they are the medic try and revive them its always better to fight 2vs1
  • hold down the fibs for more hp / sawbonez throw med packs down
  • try not to be a solo hero vs a whole team doesnt (always) work
  • maybe use callouts get on the mic and dont be afraid
  • dont be a d*ck

(Violator) #14

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Szakalot again.

All these things drive me nuts :).

The multi-defuse thing - this needs a much better visual cue that ‘only one player can do it, and player X is currently doing it the quickest’. The ‘press F to defuse’ text stays there when you are dead never mind not actually defusing as well…

Some other stuffs -

Dish out ammo / health packs as much as possible, and in the action.
Don’t leave health / ammo stations in the spawn.
Use Help up on medics first, once they are up leave them to the rest :).
Cover objectives once a plant is down.
Don’t go off on your own - you will die :).

(Nail) #15

problem with multi plant/repair/defuse is people crying “he stole my XPs” and it would be LOUD

(jazevec) #16

Only five ? We can probably come up with five for every letter of alphabet.

* Medics and engineers aren’t faster so they can run ahead of grunts and die. Wait, let them run ahead and soak up bullets. When they’re down, you can revive them and do the dirty work for you. When they deal damage to the enemy team, it will be easier for you to run to the objective.

• Don’t reload in the middle of combat, switch weapon or dash for cover.
  • If you’re busy with something (objective, helping up etc), you can stop and defend yourself if attacked.
  • finishing one objective gives you more time, and often moves spawns forward. DO IT.
  • If you’re dying in the same spot over and over, it’s time to change tactics and/or merc.

(AssortedStuff) #17

Explaining the loadout cards better to newbies would help prevent them thinking it’s a Pay 2 Win game.

(slanir) #18

One thing all the people I’ve introduced to the game have in common is that they don’t realise when to use the ironsight. It’s imprinted in their muscle memory to -always- use it. I still feel the ADS is miss placed in this game.

(BioSnark) #19

loading screen tips.

(Bloodbite) #20

Another infuriating issue… speccing from a downed engie while waiting to respawn… his body was directly behind an Aura merc, who happened to be slow repairing the EV on Chapel.