Suggestion for MM mode.

(Rémy Cabresin) #1

Disclaimer: I don’t know what SD’s plans are for this mode, this is just an idea I think would fix a lot of annoyance. Also MM mode is still very new so part of the problems can be blamed on it simply not having distributed ranks a lot yet and it putting low and high skill players together because of it.

After the level requirement for MM got reduced to 5 and the Open Beta launching. It’s been pretty clear that MM is just not working out at all. We have very experienced players getting matched with brand new level 5’s which isn’t helpful to anyone and more important it’s not fun to anyone playing either.

I suggest having this system:

• Public play(Quick Play)
  • Unranked MM from level 5+
  • Ranked MM from level 10+
  • Ranked MM from level 10+ Teams Only

Idea here is that the newbs have a safer environment to learn the game but still play competitive mode without getting completely destroyed. Ranked MM Lvl 10+ is the middle ground where you can have people queue solo or with friends but it will be with players who have grinded and spent more time on actually playing the game for a while. And ranked MM from level 10+ Teams Only is just ranked for registered teams(this ofcourse would require a back end that supports registering teams and adding/removing members etc with it’s own rules). You would also have a separate Ranked badge and Ranked Teams badge on your profile.

Obviously this wouldn’t be a quick fix so it won’t appear anytime soon if SD has plans along this line but it’d be nice to know if there are more options coming. I think we can all agree that the current Ranked MM is just lacking on many areas at the moment.

/discuss? :slight_smile:

to devs: what are the plans on future MM? no details needed but some confirmation or idea so we can ‘deal with it for now’ until there are more options :P. Personally I already kinda abandoned MM because it’s not functioning well at all atm and I know some others who have too

(Humbugsen) #2

yep MM should be 10+ or at least 7+
most of the level 5 players only have starter/rotation mercs, they don’t know the maps/mercs.
at least 1 of them leaves every game, they’re just not enough into the game at level 5 for a competitive match

(Glottis-3D) #3

[QUOTE=Humbugsen;530469]yep MM should be 10+ or at least 7+
most of the level 5 players only have starter/rotation mercs, they don’t know the maps/mercs.
at least 1 of them leaves every game, they’re just not enough into the game at level 5 for a competitive match[/QUOTE]

and they will never win against pre-made.
while mix of expirienced players realy could make some upsets.

or at very least high-skilled mix can make it look like a hardwork from premade party =))

(Humbugsen) #4

I also suggest to add a surrender vote option.
when some people leave and there is no chance to win, you still have to keep playing for 10 minutes.
usually people start knife duels then, even played hide and seek once :D, was fun but kind of dumb.
Furthermore the match doesn’t end when 1 team leaves completely.

(Rémy Cabresin) #5

[QUOTE=Humbugsen;530504]I also suggest to add a surrender vote option.
when some people leave and there is no chance to win, you still have to keep playing for 10 minutes.
usually people start knife duels then, even played hide and seek once :D, was fun but kind of dumb.
Furthermore the match doesn’t end when 1 team leaves completely.[/QUOTE]

Think some devs(I think Anti aswell, dont quote me on it) said they are still working on the whole vote system. So I think thre will probably functions like this soon enough.

(chillerno1) #6

I think something like this would be a point of discussion if it’s seen as a problem once the size of the community becomes larger and more defined.

Right now, this game is in beta and the community size and skill level is increasing on a daily basis. With a fresh game you want to be testing your MM system with the highest amount of players as possible - especially while it’s in beta - so right now, I think level 5 works. This allows the devs to analyse things like rank, player knowledge and MMR distribution against their base assumptions and adjust accordingly before the full release.

You’ll probably see the base level requirement gradually increase in line with the maturity of the game.

(BioSnark) #7

Level 5 is way too low. I find these people as unpleasantly wanting as on other servers.

(Nail) #8

in closed beta everyone screamed that level 7 was too high, “I can’t play with my friends”, now it’s actually way too low and every duck, dork and dick is lvl 5 people whine again

(Rémy Cabresin) #9

I opted for level 10 when people were crying about 7 being to high :frowning:

(BioSnark) #10

I never heard any crying. However, perhaps I ignored feedback on things I don’t care for.

(Rémy Cabresin) #11

There was A LOT of crying when the MM requirement was level 7. People complaining ‘the grind was too long’. Was mostly on the ****ty Nexon forums though.

(Szakalot) #12

the problem was that you couldn’t organize a party with your friends to pubstomp together. Now you can at least join your friends on a server, but you still can’t organize a 5v5 ‘for funsies’

(Humbugsen) #13

Please, increase the level requirement for ranked, or i got to stop playing it. I’m so sick of this

4 skyhammers in my team. No idea how the objectives work.
One of them planted a c4 at the side doors instead of defending the c4 at the objective.
At second objective they all ran into the gas tunnel and suicided. When i planted at the last objective they were defusing dynamites at the gas tunnel instead of defending the c4 at our objective.
I got so mad.
None of them ever switched to medic of course.
They just have no idea how this game works.

(Szakalot) #14

[QUOTE=Humbugsen;530958]Please, increase the level requirement for ranked, or i got to stop playing it. I’m so sick of this

4 skyhammers in my team. No idea how the objectives work.
One of them planted a c4 at the side doors instead of defending the c4 at the objective.
At second objective they all ran into the gas tunnel and suicided. When i planted at the last objective they were defusing dynamites at the gas tunnel instead of defending the c4 at our objective.
I got so mad.
None of them ever switched to medic of course.
They just have no idea how this game works.[/QUOTE]

The main problem with MM are the incorrectly evaluated placement matches.

Where you get placed felt very random, most likiely due to both solo and premades (if you were unlucky enough to get a lot of premades vs. your solo queue you would be underrated, if you played premades yourself, your likely to be overrated) playing in the same pool

Regardless of how MatchMaking will be tackled on in the future, as far as soloqueueing and premades:

• ranks will have to be redone during next big release (full release for example)
  • placement matches should not include any premades in them

(Humbugsen) #15

[QUOTE=Szakalot;530961]The main problem with MM are the incorrectly evaluated placement matches.

Where you get placed felt very random, most likiely due to both solo and premades (if you were unlucky enough to get a lot of premades vs. your solo queue you would be underrated, if you played premades yourself, your likely to be overrated) playing in the same pool

Regardless of how MatchMaking will be tackled on in the future, as far as soloqueueing and premades:

• ranks will have to be redone during next big release (full release for example)
  • placement matches should not include any premades in them[/QUOTE]

true, but level 5 is too low anyway. It’s maybe like 5 hours playtime?
It’s not enough to play a competitive match, simply because you don’t know the maps.
how can i play a competitive match with someone who dies in a gas tunnel??
I think level 7 was fine.

(Szakalot) #16

[QUOTE=Humbugsen;530962]true, but level 5 is too low anyway. It’s maybe like 5 hours playtime?
It’s not enough to play a competitive match, simply because you don’t know the maps.
how can i play a competitive match with someone who dies in a gas tunnel??
I think level 7 was fine.[/QUOTE]

the point is: if placement matches worked better, these lvl 5 players would never get to play with you, they’d be stuck in bronze/silver, while you can have fun in gold leagues.

nothing wrong with those people not knowing the maps if their opponents dont know them either!

(spookify) #17

I think there are many things to look at here and yes level is one of them.

I remember the talk about lowering it to level 5 and at the time it was a good idea. We were in closed beta and a lot of people that wanted it lowered had previous experience with SW Mode, SD games or shooters in general.

Currently we are seeing level 5’s that might have some First Person Shooter experience but might not be familiar with SW Mode or the core mechanics that make up a lot of SD games.

This raises a few questions:
#1) Why are level 20+ being placed with Level 5’s?
#2) Why are “Ranked Players” being places with unranked Players?

***IDEA - Another this to possible look at is over all team ELO or Straight and placing the higher overall team on Attackers first. Sort of like a home field advantage but would currently solve some of the full hold issues against lower skill people. As you start to get more even teams it might be a good scale telling people wow Im on Defense but Im good that other team must rock so I have to try. OR if the ELO’s or team strength is within a certain level and is actually pertty even do a coin toss. Literally have a random selected person pick heads or tails and flip then they can pick Attacking or Defending. This would take the guess work out of Connecting to server and wounding what team you are going to be on. If people say this is going to take to much time I say have you seen how long we wait already? 1 Minutes once connected to lobby and then another 1 Minute once connected to server! Make it fast once everyone is connected randomly pick a person that has 15 seconds to pick heads or tails or it will pick it for you. If they dont pick because they are AFK then it auto and both teams stay on the side they originally entered the server. If the do pick just swap teams and lock everyone and we are on our way. Lots of games have coin tosses so why not this. This would have been awesome in LOL because I hate TOP Screen!

Another Problem we have is a lot of these lower level players are joining ranked not really knowing what they are getting into. Half the time I have people say GG after the first round! I’m like DONT LEAVE!! Its Stop Watch Mode!!! They have no idea. They are used to crappy OBJ mode! (One Sided Spamfest) A lot of these level 5’s are watching streams of the DEV’s or Nexon so OBJ mode is really all they know. Its time for some of your streams to step it up and play some SW servers or a Ranked MM. I was pretty irate when the Nexon streamer said they weren’t good enough for ranked! I totally went off in the stream and told them its really not about skill because will eventually be placed against equal skill people. So even Nexon staff was spreading some miss information that was turning people away from Ranked. Might be time for Shoe and director Smooth to explain Stop Watch Mode and Ranked.

I think this level 5 issues will start to go away once we get more players and people start playing within their ranks.

As for Pre-Made Teams its the same thing. Once more people start playing and get ranked a pre-made team might actually start lossing to a high ranked solo team. I dont think LOL has this problem too much but they might have when they were starting out.

(Szakalot) #18

good ideas, i imagine SD is reluctant to ‘split the playerbase’ though.

In any case, I think this will resolve itself soon enough. Top 10% of players will get higher MM ranks, and matchmaking will pool players from different skill levels better.

Present situation is 1-2% alpha-beta testers who are on average twice as good as anyone else, from map knowledge alone, can’t expect that 1% being matched against equally good players for a while, not until good players learn the maps&game.

(prophett) #19

MM should be 10+ :confused: