Bad reviews on steam

(ToonBE) #1

NOTE: I realise this is a rather angry post, but this game has a lot of potential and I just feel this open beta is rushed for some reason… It could’ve benefited from an extra large stress test and some more preparation and explenation could have gone far. There are also a lot of positive reviews, don’t get me wrong on that. Also on twitch there were a fair amount of people streaming and enjoying the game. I just feel a lot of negative reactions could have been avoided! Oh, well;)

Three things pop up the most in these negative reviews:

First, connection. People are complaining about loading screens everywhere, not being able to sign in, being put in wrong region servers, servers bug where 10/16 is actually full and 10/14 had only one or no person in it, failing to load the server browser, servers not showing ping, etc etc… This is sad imo because this could have been prevented. Seems like you just opened up the game to everyone and let it all happen. Surely you can predict these problems when suddenly x6 people start playing? There shoud’ve been stress tests and some of these issues are known for weeks but not fixed for open beta… If I were to play a game for the first time and was confronted with these issues, well I would not be happy either.

Second, p2w. It seems that a lot of people give this game the p2w badge. It is understandable at first glance. Seeing you get a case that gives you a card for fragger, but then only to find out you cannot use that card, because you need to first BUY the merc for a price that is TOO HIGH. You need to pay 9.99 euro’s to get fragger… Who will do that? Then you think oh well I will use the credits, aaaaand now, 50.000 credits? Everyone can calculate the tedious grind needed: hours and hours and hours. On this basis it is hard to convince them otherwise. An nother problem is that the merc system is poorly explained: they just are there… greyed out… Ofcourse they think that fragger or kira or w/e or BETTER mercs because you need to pay for them, allthough that is not the case… It is just badly explained to them. Every merc is distinct and has differenct abilities. No merc is better than an other. I feel there needs to be a lot more explenation to new players about this. And seriously down the prices of the mercs… 4.99 at most! Also you are partnered up with Nexon. You KNOW the reputation of nexon games. You shoud’ve clearly stated the goals for monetization from the start so people are not biased from the first second.

Third, XIGNCODE. A lot of people just cannot log in to the game because they get kicked by this poor anti cheat. It has been said so many times that this anti cheat is simply useless and just annoys people. The proof is there aimbotters are in months… There is nothing to stop them. Using the worst anti cheat on the market is not going to help you from getting a good anti cheat policy across. XIGNCODE needs to go and be replaced with something else. If you want this game to have a future partner up with valve and get VAC and also give is TOOLS to stop cheating: demorec and those kind of things. Or atleast made it clear this was on the horizon?

(Fooooo) #2

Ok after playing it for a little bit now there are tons of things that annoy me.

1. Graphics are so cartoony and “brink” like. Terrible. Hard to see changes in stuff it all looks so bright and colourful, its disgustingly annoying.

2. Cards. Terrible idea. Remove it. Bring back simple “classes” with no OP crap like 100% more HP than everyone else like rhino seems to have.

3. Gunplay is somewhat OK, its not ET or even QW but its…O K…

4. Movement is annoying and you cant bunnyhop. ET had all this down already, why change things ?

5. Did i mention how damn bright and colourful everything is ? I hate playing in cartoons.

6. This is a console game right ??? :stuck_out_tongue: (PC exclusive LOL LOL LOL)

Sorry SD but you have gone backwards with every game after QW and yeah…its a sad day…

(ToonBE) #3

[QUOTE=Fooooo;530472]Ok after playing it for a little bit now there are tons of things that annoy me.

1. Graphics are so cartoony and “brink” like. Terrible. Hard to see changes in stuff it all looks so bright and colourful, its disgustingly annoying.

2. Cards. Terrible idea. Remove it. Bring back simple “classes” with no OP crap like 100% more HP than everyone else like rhino seems to have.

4. Movement is annoying and you cant bunnyhop. ET had all this down already, why change things ?

5. Did i mention how damn bright and colourful everything is ? I hate playing in cartoons.

6. This is a console game right ??? :stuck_out_tongue: (PC exclusive LOL LOL LOL)

Sorry SD but you have gone backwards with every game after QW and yeah…its a sad day…[/QUOTE]

I do not agree with you. Just the cards, yes they need work but not removal only dividing them in different types of cards. About cartoony and colorfull try messing with “colorgrading” put in on 0 (or 2 dunno). It will have a big difference.

Dirty Bomb =/= Enemy Territory try playing it with that in mind.

(Glottis-3D) #4

where in steam can i see overal game rating?

(Mustang) #5

Not sure if it’s possible to see by default, I use Enhanced Steam and it puts the percentages on the Store Page.

(rookie1) #6

mouse over the :mostly positive

(Szakalot) #7

game’s store page should have a review summary on the right (positive, mostly positive, mixed, etc.); hovering over it will give you percentages

(Protekt1) #8

Can’t please everyone. Some people won’t give it a fair shot. That is just the nature of being f2p. Later, they may try it again and give it a fair shake, and wonder why they didn’t see it the first time and probably think it was just because it was in beta.

I think a 73% approval is pretty good for a product still not complete. Also if you look at the player count, it has peaked each day since release, meaning that each successive day has had more players on at it’s peak count than the previous day. https://steamdb.info/app/333930/graphs/ And we’re just now coming into the weekend.

(Pakaa) #9

It is a bit weird how you can rate an open beta that’s also free to play. Early access I can understand, since people pay for it. Like ^said, people won’t give it a fair shake if they don’t invest anything but time and harddrive space up front.

It’s just opening the door for people to crap on your stuff before anyone should judge it as ready. Or will the ratings be reset once it’s not in beta anymore?

You’d think SD wouldn’t want that after how the impressions from the QW beta stuck around to haunt the finished product.

(-PogS-) #10

Well I can understand someone that wants to give it a try, download the game and test it and get stuck with full servers, servers not responding, etc… Some may give up after a few unsuccessful tries and rate it badly.

(rookie1) #11

If SD fix all the broken things (performances/lag/UI with less loading /Hackings/bugs…) it will reach in the 80 ,85 % positive But I expect the total players count to drop significantly over time due to the repetive gameplay as it is now …ppl will get bored fast

(Amerika) #12

Most of the negative reviews I’ve read stem from either false expectations where they wanted another game that played like CoD or BF or ignorance in regard to how the card system works. You can’t help the form but the latter could be helped with better explanations and tutorials that literally spell out, multiple times, how loadouts work and that Silver/Gold/Cobalt are cosmetic only. I can’t even count how many reviews stated how much more powerful players with Gold cards are and each one of them gives a different number as to how much more powerful. Some just say they get 100-200 more HP, others say “3x more powerful” etc. Things like that can be remedied through education and should be remedied.

(kenpokiller) #13

That’s because Steam is riddled with idiots

and they don’t understand WAT IS BETA

WOW BUG

WAT HAPPEN

Am I really the only one thinking it’s cute when servers get stressed so hard :3

Steamreviews have ruined a few games for me because the Developers were becoming tired of the ****storms.

Who wouldn’t?

(Szakalot) #14

[QUOTE=kenpokiller;530604]That’s because Steam is riddled with idiots

and they don’t understand WAT IS BETA

WOW BUG

WAT HAPPEN

Am I really the only one thinking it’s cute when servers get stressed so hard :3

Steamreviews have ruined a few games for me because the Developers were becoming tired of the ****storms.

Who wouldn’t?[/QUOTE]

you have to read between the lines. The major reassurance factor I take from the bad reviews is that they all follow the same major points:

• Unbalanced teams/mercs. Whoever the lvl20+ player used to bash the newbies, will be heralded the new ‘unbalanced merc’.

• P2W. This is a sub-point of the one above. Since there is almost no difference between paying and f2p players, its just about perception, and what the reasons are why newbies get owned.

• can’t launch the game. This is all XIGNCODE, it will crash you to desktop without telling you what is wrong and why.

Seems like all of these can be fixed:

• separate new players from HARDCORE VETERANS more

• more transparency about the monetization model - seems the present situation is: ‘yeah we won’t make it P2W, its easy to get a bronze card, but shhh, if you are a spending player, LOOK AT THE PRETTY GOLD, surely its stronger right?’. Its like they are trying to cater to both markets, by making everyone confused.

• trash XIGN, and get something else.

(PinkFrog) #15

[QUOTE=Fooooo;530472]Ok after playing it for a little bit now there are tons of things that annoy me.

Sorry SD but you have gone backwards with every game after QW and yeah…its a sad day…[/QUOTE]

How is this a sad day? DB just isn’t the game for you. There are lots of team-based shooters out there with more realistic graphical design.

(DarkangelUK) #16

I put my Steam review up

“Captures the magic of ET”

Yes, yes I did

(stealth6) #17

[QUOTE=DarkangelUK;530932]I put my Steam review up

“Captures the magic of ET”

Yes, yes I did[/QUOTE]

DB’s reputation is saved!

(BioSnark) #18

And, another crisis averted. gg.

(rookie1) #19