Latency? Lag Comp? Bad Net Code? Or Just me?

(sunshinefats) #1

This problem has been plaguing me a lot recently…a whole lot, and since I didn’t see any recent threads on it I thought I’d bring it up in my ongoing attempt to track down the exact cause of the problem. In a nutshell, I seem to have (from my perspective) what I can only call a delay in my game. Here are the basic symptoms…I get shot completely around corners(not having just barely passed it but clearly behind it for a second-sometimes more)…my shots seem to miss when my crosshair is on their chest(I’ve looked back at some old videos I had and this indeed seems to be the case)…I’ll get shot in the air even though I’d already landed and taken a step. The one thing I’ve determined is that all these things are directly related. They are also pretty consistent throughout a night of play. My suspicion is, as much as I hate to say it, bad net code which causes me to run at a second behind most other players(although I’ve seen first hand some others suffering from it too). So, basically what happens in my above examples is I get shot (because of the delay) because on their screen I wasn’t behind the wall. I don’t get the hits because they’re not actually standing where I see them on my screen, and I get shot mid-air because on their screen was still there. On occasion I even kill shots that clrearly show the shot going thgouhg an object(wall, etc.). And literally the 2-3 bullets that are not on target are the ones that hit mostly.

I’ve tested my connection with pingtest, speedtest, nettraffic tests, packetloss tests, etc. and all came up well within spec. I checked my modem and router to make sure nothing weird was going on there. I played the game with all other non-essential processes disabled. I’ve re-installed the game, tried different config settings, etc. and I’m just out of ideas as an end user. So, the only thing I can think of in unoptmized netcode or some weird latenc when the server communicates with my client… It just seems like the only singular thingn that could explain all of it.

So, my question is who else does this happen to? If some people back me up then I’ll at least have the satisfaction of knowing I am not alone on this. If no one else is getting this, however, then I guess I have to look at my rig again.

At any rate, any input or personal experiences regarding this would be welcomed.
Thanks!

(Szakalot) #2

the first problem ‘getting hit behind a wall’ happens occasionally. If the other person has a lag-spike; their anti-lag might go array, and make a 1second hit-delay sometimes.

Your second problem: no hits registered, when you hit the target: never happened to me, EVER; and would love to see the video (you mentioned some old videos?)

(ailmanki) #3

In older videos “the not hitting”, could be related to shooting sound effects not being in sync with the true shooting rate.

(ragnak) #4

No, its not just you. Since last patch my game warp a lot, i die behind walls a lot more often and i often die “in burst” as if the person that was shooting me had a lag. It feels like i have ping 300 at times (while having constant 50-60 all the time) and im sure its not my connection. It never was this bad before fletcher patch.

From comments it seems that it doesnt affect everyone, what region are you from ?

(Szakalot) #5

[QUOTE=ragnak;529219]No, its not just you. Since last patch my game warp a lot, i die behind walls a lot more often and i often die “in burst” as if the person that was shooting me had a lag. It feels like i have ping 300 at times (while having constant 50-60 all the time) and im sure its not my connection. It never was this bad before fletcher patch.

From comments it seems that it doesnt affect everyone, what region are you from ?[/QUOTE]

aye server lags like this happen, but its often visible that your character warps while moving through the map.

Outside of these warps, the hit registration seems very stable

(ragnak) #6

[QUOTE=Szakalot;529221]aye server lags like this happen, but its often visible that your character warps while moving through the map.

Outside of these warps, the hit registration seems very stable[/QUOTE]

Yea, didnt had problems with actual hit registration but servers are laggy as hell, i really hope its going to get fixed next patch ;(.

(sunshinefats) #7

[QUOTE=Szakalot;529197]the first problem ‘getting hit behind a wall’ happens occasionally. If the other person has a lag-spike; their anti-lag might go array, and make a 1second hit-delay sometimes.

Your second problem: no hits registered, when you hit the target: never happened to me, EVER; and would love to see the video (you mentioned some old videos?)[/QUOTE]

I haven’t had Fraps for very long, and all my videos come out in 2gig chunks for a total of 6-8gigs(I guess it’s encoding them raw?) which is a bit much to try to upload. However, if you can tell me some settings that will get me more manageable file sizes, I will be happy to record some new vids and post them up on youtube.

As for the registration, I don’t think it’s the actual hit registration itself, I believe it’s net related…More like they’re not actually in the spot that I see them in and therefore I miss even though it looks like, on my screen, my crosshair is on them. Often shots where my crosshair goes slightly off of them to either side will register as hits even though, on my screen, I should be missing.

(sunshinefats) #8

[QUOTE=ragnak;529219]
From comments it seems that it doesnt affect everyone, what region are you from ?[/QUOTE]

US East Region

(-PogS-) #9

I have a question regarding bullets going through walls. Is that just a visual glitch or can bullets really go through walls ?

(Nail) #10

no penetration

(AssortedStuff) #11

They can go through glass (like the bus in Whitechapel).
Are you referring to something like this?

(sunshinefats) #12

TBH I’m not quite sure…I think you’re not supposed to be able to be(except where mentioned above), and that a lot of it is net related, but on the other hand I have (rarely) been killed where the kill line clearly went through a wall and hit me(always on a corner or behind a crate). I tend to think the latter is mostly a glitch that it is related to the prior.

(-PogS-) #13

I too think it’s a glitch but I get killed a lot by bullets going through walls. I have eve been killed once on Terminal’s first part by the balcony MG as I was well inside the center building. And the path of the bullets were going through solid walls, not just a corner.

(Amerika) #14

[QUOTE=sunshinefats;529226]I haven’t had Fraps for very long, and all my videos come out in 2gig chunks for a total of 6-8gigs(I guess it’s encoding them raw?) which is a bit much to try to upload. However, if you can tell me some settings that will get me more manageable file sizes, I will be happy to record some new vids and post them up on youtube.

As for the registration, I don’t think it’s the actual hit registration itself, I believe it’s net related…More like they’re not actually in the spot that I see them in and therefore I miss even though it looks like, on my screen, my crosshair is on them. Often shots where my crosshair goes slightly off of them to either side will register as hits even though, on my screen, I should be missing.[/QUOTE]

Don’t use Fraps. It’s a terribly outdated program that records using the worst method possible. There are tons of other alternatives out there that won’t lag the hell out of your system while recording. If you have a newish Nvidia card just use Shadow Play. You can also use OBS as an easy and free way to record (you don’t have to actually setup streaming…it will just record). There are other products like Playclaw that work well too and have trial versions.

(AssortedStuff) #15

In Terminal there is a window (with blinds, so it almost looks like a wall) that you can shoot through.
Could it have been this you are referring to?

(sunshinefats) #16

Thanks for the tip. I’m not really up on recording software so fraps was just the first one I found that I’d heard of. But anyways, yeah, I will definitely look up those you mentioned. :slight_smile:

(-PogS-) #17

[QUOTE=AssortedStuff;529589]In Terminal there is a window (with blinds, so it almost looks like a wall) that you can shoot through.
Could it have been this you are referring to?

[/QUOTE]

No this was not through the window. I should have made a screenshot, of it. Either the bullet penetration is bugged or this is the “after kill laser beam” that is misplaced.

(Hundopercent) #18

There is a delay and I’m not sure if it’s a flaw of the UE3 engine or poor netcode. It’s why you hear 7-8 headshots before your target actually dies. Or you hear 3-4 headshots, then you die and they are at 70% HP. There is some form of a delay when firing weapons and it being registered in the game, I’m not entirely sure why though.I’ve even traded kills with people where we die within .5 seconds of each other.

(sunshinefats) #19

THANK YOU!!! I also get this ALL the time and you’re one of the first people I’ve seen describe it EXACTLY as it happens to me. That’s another one of the things I’ve been wondering about for ages. I’m glad to know other people feel my pain on these issues and I’m not just going crazy. Sorry if I am a little overexcited here, but that description is so spot on to part of my plight that I can’t help it lol.

(Kroad) #20

//youtu.be/HUKHVPG6Jb8

both at 40 ping (servers where ****ting themselves then)

can’t wait for 2nd of june, game will be unplayable because servers won’t be able to handle all the new players and so they won’t stay long