ESL Dirty Bomb Tournament - Thursday 21st May

(Chris Mullins) #1

Hey guys!

This Thursday the ESL are hosting their first Dirty Bomb tournament and we can confirm they are accepting both EU and US team sign ups.

The matches will follow a similar rule-set to that Dirty Cups (5v5, Bo5, Stopwatch, one Merc limit) but for all of the info and to sign up, head on over here and check it out.

Please do share the tournament where possible to make it more awesome.

Happy fragging!
shoe.

(PixelTwitch) #2

EDIT: Bites Tongue

(spookify) #3

Ditto.

Might be time to step away from the game for a bit. Its only going to get more Toxic…

(Chris Mullins) #4

Are you guys not a fan of ESL running a tournament?

(spookify) #5

A tourney for a game in Closed Beta…

Remember the game pong? Imagine pong in closed beta with just the paddles and no ball… That is what DB is right now and also how fun it is to watch.

The only thing I like about these cups/tourney is SD is learning valuable info on the 5v5 side of the game.

(prophett) #6

My feedback from this thread on the nexon forums.

At the moment (when i’m actually home to play), I’m definitely not down to play in 2 cups per week, or any event with a time to suit everybody (but actually suits no one) that spans two days and chews up my whole weekend (say Sat and Sun for example).

The biggest issue is the small competitive player base. It’s hard to put off an NA only or EU only tourney due to smaller numbers, and combined tournies translate in to less than ideal start times for most people involved.

My ideal tourney would be spanning multiple days during the weekday with a start time of 9pm Eastern. If we currently ran one with that setup we’d be lucky to get 4 teams signed up to play in it. For the time being, i’ll support what Dirty Cups is doing (1 cup per week with times that somewhat suit my schedule).

(fubar) #7

I sure as hell hope you guys will be providing additional servers. A single EU server for 8+ teams is… not feasible at all.

(Nail) #8

is there xignpoop on the tourney servers ?

(BomBaKlaK) #9

[QUOTE=spookify;528948]A tourney for a game in Closed Beta…

Remember the game pong? Imagine pong in closed beta with just the paddles and no ball… That is what DB is right now and also how fun it is to watch.

The only thing I like about these cups/tourney is SD is learning valuable info on the 5v5 side of the game.[/QUOTE]

Something like this

(onYn) #10

Well, good luck with that one :smiley:
Looking forward to what the competitive community will say about DB. But I hope I am wrong in my expectations, really do…

(PixelTwitch) #11

more not a fan of publicising a game that feels miles away from where it needs to be. Also no prize money make ESL more of a hassle then Dirty Cups at the moment. That said ESL has got a better rule set in my opinion. Possibly the wrong person to ask, I am at the edge of giving up altogether anyway.

(Rémy Cabresin) #12

ESL is a great competitive platform, arguably the best there is. But this simply isn’t the right timing for them(or for DB/SD) to get into the game, I think most people who play the game a lot(competitively) agree on this, regardless of them wanting more competitive options. The game, especially competitively, simply isn’t ready for a ‘marketing-boost/hype’ that ESL will provide. ESL will hype the proverbial **** out of the game which may seem good at first, but as soon as all those hyped up players get into the game and want to play matchmaking and competitive with teams they discover that he game simply lacks quite basic needs for a competitive scene. Outside of DirtyCups that is. Especially competitive players will be extremely put off by this simple fact and go back to their preferred games whatever they may be. Because most of those games have the support it needs. Big organisations who will only send in teams if there is prizemoney definitely don’t care at this stage but all those smaller friend-based teams and amateur teams looking for that new competitive game they’ve been looking for are simply going to see DB and leave it for what it is. DB right now feels like a lot of other games with potential, GREAT potential but simply lacking functions needed to make the potential happen.

SD needs to use ESL as a tool, at the right time. When you have a lot of back end competitive stuff ready, announce a combined effort with a major new patch adding all these competitive tools and options. So that ESL can hype the competitive aspect to their massive audience, but without the let down afterwards. It doesn’t have to be a massive prizepool, or a crazy event. But the fact that the current cup only has 10 signups has to be a let down to everyone, and I think this can mostly be blamed at players and teams not being provided enough tools to be competitively engaged. The ‘inner circle’ of the people who played the Dirty Cups cups so far know where to find teams and arrange matches among each-other but newcomers might not have a clue where to find things.

I’m sure if SD would create a ‘Competitive Council’ for input on DB competitive things could get a lot clearer. Think about some players from current top teams(even other games if need be, top players from other games can have valuable input in what they think is necessary for comp play), casters, admins/cup organizers and other competitive community figures. DB is really sparking a big interest from a lot of competitive players in other games, but it feels like DB/SD either simply isn’t ready for it(it being the ‘competitive wave’) yet, doesn’t know what to do support those comp players or simply isn’t interested in support the competitive scene for DB.

(prophett) #13

[QUOTE=adeto;528995]ESL is a great competitive platform, arguably the best there is. But this simply isn’t the right timing for them(or for DB/SD) to get into the game, I think most people who play the game a lot(competitively) agree on this, regardless of them wanting more competitive options. The game, especially competitively, simply isn’t ready for a ‘marketing-boost/hype’ that ESL will provide. ESL will hype the proverbial **** out of the game which may seem good at first, but as soon as all those hyped up players get into the game and want to play matchmaking and competitive with teams they discover that he game simply lacks quite basic needs for a competitive scene. Outside of DirtyCups that is. Especially competitive players will be extremely put off by this simple fact and go back to their preferred games whatever they may be. Because most of those games have the support it needs. Big organisations who will only send in teams if there is prizemoney definitely don’t care at this stage but all those smaller friend-based teams and amateur teams looking for that new competitive game they’ve been looking for are simply going to see DB and leave it for what it is. DB right now feels like a lot of other games with potential, GREAT potential but simply lacking functions needed to make the potential happen.

SD needs to use ESL as a tool, at the right time. When you have a lot of back end competitive stuff ready, announce a combined effort with a major new patch adding all these competitive tools and options. So that ESL can hype the competitive aspect to their massive audience, but without the let down afterwards. It doesn’t have to be a massive prizepool, or a crazy event. But the fact that the current cup only has 10 signups has to be a let down to everyone, and I think this can mostly be blamed at players and teams not being provided enough tools to be competitively engaged. The ‘inner circle’ of the people who played the Dirty Cups cups so far know where to find teams and arrange matches among each-other but newcomers might not have a clue where to find things.

I’m sure if SD would create a ‘Competitive Council’ for input on DB competitive things could get a lot clearer. Think about some players from current top teams(even other games if need be, top players from other games can have valuable input in what they think is necessary for comp play), casters, admins/cup organizers and other competitive community figures. DB is really sparking a big interest from a lot of competitive players in other games, but it feels like DB/SD either simply isn’t ready for it(it being the ‘competitive wave’) yet, doesn’t know what to do support those comp players or simply isn’t interested in support the competitive scene for DB.[/QUOTE]

Vote Adeto for Competitive Council Prez!

(Glottis-3D) #14

Yes we can
Yes. we. can.

(spookify) #15

Been having some performance issues this patch. Could be my graphic drivers or something but its totally throwing me off the game. Played in a pug yesterday and it was the least fun of my life. Oh yeah right before that I played in a SW pub again 3 Fletchers and 4 proxys… Got face rolled. It felt like everyone on the other team had super speed. Shotguns still bouncing off walls and flat out a terrible game experience.

Oh yeah this tourney is a “euro” only tourney? Fun… :rolleyes:

(Glottis-3D) #16

i like that this is not during weekends.
i will take part.
good luck to everyone!